ImageImageImage
Kickoff: 7.30pm Saturday 16 July
Venue: Dairy Farmers Stadium, Townsville
Telecast: Fox Sports
1974semifinal

Re: Groat!

Post by 1974semifinal » Sun 17 Jul, 2011 5:30 pm

softlaw wrote:Great game.
Ran the hard, dirty metres. Played good minutes. Tackled well.
& at one stage took 2 hitups in a set of 6 coming off our line.

Top effort!
He and Woods will be a great combo with players like Ellis and Blair teaching them.

Agreed...first time I have seen him..he looked ok..again..we have to wait and see.

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Sun 17 Jul, 2011 5:32 pm

Really liked his willingness to get involved. He will get a lot of confidence out of that hitout.

WIth his size, attitide is everything, and he seems to have the right attitude. Certainly should be in the 17 next week regardless of Payten returning.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Knuckles

Post by Knuckles » Mon 18 Jul, 2011 12:19 pm

Mothermagpie wrote:He reminds me of a young Skandalis, still remember his first (first grade) game in the pouring rain at Campbelltown. Pretty sure he played for most of the game though
What an initiation to first grade that was !!! I think it was Maggies vs Penrith on a wet, cold cambo night and degenerated into all in brawls, head high tackles, send offs ........ you name it ..... what a game that was !!!

On Matt Groat .... this kid has the potential to be anything. I only saw him play one NYC game and I came away so impressed. He obviously impressed his coach as well, so much so, that he chose him on the bench for first grade ..... a wonderful achievement. With the right coaching and mentoring I believe Matt Groat could be an Origin player in the making.

Tiger_Al

Post by Tiger_Al » Mon 18 Jul, 2011 2:38 pm

Knuckles wrote:
Mothermagpie wrote:He reminds me of a young Skandalis, still remember his first (first grade) game in the pouring rain at Campbelltown. Pretty sure he played for most of the game though
What an initiation to first grade that was !!! I think it was Maggies vs Penrith on a wet, cold cambo night and degenerated into all in brawls, head high tackles, send offs ........ you name it ..... what a game that was !!!

On Matt Groat .... this kid has the potential to be anything. I only saw him play one NYC game and I came away so impressed. He obviously impressed his coach as well, so much so, that he chose him on the bench for first grade ..... a wonderful achievement. With the right coaching and mentoring I believe Matt Groat could be an Origin player in the making.
Thats if NSW has a coach who will pick a front rower...

Goose

Post by Goose » Mon 18 Jul, 2011 2:48 pm

great start to his career.

we dont want to rush him, the grind can be hard on a young body.
would be nice to give him a few opportunities off the bench to finish the year, after a full off season ease him to the side next year.

the future looks bright.

Begovich looks his equal as well IMO (well there is not much between them anyway), Groat as more pedigree however.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Mon 18 Jul, 2011 3:43 pm

So I'm gathering from all this that maybe, just maybe, Sheens and Humphreys DO know what they're doing in terms of the long term direction of the club. After all the strong words at the time of A Fifita's release, nearly everyone seems to now think it was right move and Woods and Groat are much better long term options.

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Mon 18 Jul, 2011 3:55 pm

We will have some really good options next year with a prop pack of.

Blair
Galloway
Woods
Groat
Bregovich

Honestly, removing Gibbs was needed and the juniors stepping into Fifita's spot are probably, at a minimum, equal in potential... and might have a better attitude in training.

With Blair being versatile for the Prop/2nd Row. We will be able to cover injuries really well and keep the quality of players consistent.

Management have been very smart.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Mon 18 Jul, 2011 4:09 pm

hammertime wrote:We will have some really good options next year with a prop pack of.

Blair
Galloway
Woods
Groat
Bregovich

Honestly, removing Gibbs was needed and the juniors stepping into Fifita's spot are probably, at a minimum, equal in potential... and might have a better attitude in training.

With Blair being versatile for the Prop/2nd Row. We will be able to cover injuries really well and keep the quality of players consistent.

Management have been very smart.
Yep agree. Our go forward hasn't been good enough for a while. It's no disrespect to Gibbs who does a great job doing what he does but our ability to bend the defensive line is lacking at the moment. Yesterday Blair showed the kind of contribution he can make - sharp runs, good play the ball. Get people like KG and Woods hitting it up after that and we start to make the kind of ground that allows guys like Farah and Marshall the room to do what they can do. People criticise Farah but it's hard for him to really make an impact given the platform he's gotten most weeks.