Despite the win

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: 7.30pm Saturday 16 July
Venue: Dairy Farmers Stadium, Townsville
Telecast: Fox Sports
Tiger_heart

Despite the win

Post by Tiger_heart » Sat 16 Jul, 2011 10:03 pm

how short are we from giving the competition a shake? I think we are at least 20-25% behind the leading teams (Brisbane, Melbourne, Chockers)...

jas83

Post by jas83 » Sat 16 Jul, 2011 10:07 pm

I think we were a long away behind teams last year till we got to the finals, but we were 3rd and not 7th. We just need to win games and get to best position on table after 26 rounds. Then we need to lift in the finals like last year and even 2005.

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sat 16 Jul, 2011 10:08 pm

I disagree. If we put that effort in against the top sides I think we would probably be on par with them. It's all mental I think. Formwise sure we are behind them, but we can turn it around in one match. Hopefully we roll the Roosters good and proper next week and then prosper.

stryker

Post by stryker » Sat 16 Jul, 2011 10:20 pm

A good, technical win against the chooks ( who are our nemesis), will set us up for the following games.

That being said its a long hard road to the semis.

alien

Post by alien » Sat 16 Jul, 2011 10:23 pm

Tiger_heart wrote:how short are we from giving the competition a shake? I think we are at least 20-25% behind the leading teams (Brisbane, Melbourne, Chockers)...
i agree, but calling st.george illawarra "chokers" doesnt really make sense anymore

also i would add manly to that list!

tiger05

Post by tiger05 » Sat 16 Jul, 2011 10:25 pm

We are a long way off in my opinion but we have the players to turn it around.

monkey

Post by monkey » Sat 16 Jul, 2011 10:27 pm

When is lote and utai back we need the metres to get our sets started

Posted using RoarFEED

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 16 Jul, 2011 10:33 pm

It is crucial that including tonight we go into the Penrith game with at least a 2-2 record Then our destiny will be in our own hands

citizen cub

Post by citizen cub » Sun 17 Jul, 2011 1:04 pm

I wouldn't say we're that far behind Melbourne. I know they beat us quite comfortably at Leichhardt despite the close scoreline, but I think they are beatable and I think if we are playing anywhere near our best then we can beat them.

Brisbane, Dragons and Sea Eagles are definitely far ahead of us at this point in time and I think it's fair to say they are about 20% ahead of us ATM. If we can snare one win from either the Dragons or Sea Eagles then we're doing well.
With Wests in the finals, ANYTHING'S POSSIBLE

tigerlogic

Post by tigerlogic » Sun 17 Jul, 2011 1:12 pm

Lastnight was a disciplined win, very committed, if they have the same discipline (1penalty) and completion rate 79%, they will do well. This figures will beat any team wen u defend well as we have and u have guys like farah Marshall Lawrence ayshford Lote

Posted using RoarFEED

Twodogs

Post by Twodogs » Sun 17 Jul, 2011 2:21 pm

How about a big effort against the Chooks? I can't believe how unenthusiastic we were against the Chooks in the last game considering how they ripped us off last year. I bit of anger wouldn't go astray. A loss would be disastrous!

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Sun 17 Jul, 2011 4:47 pm

I'm happy we got the win last night, but seriously, we are nowhere near the likes of the top 4 yet. Putting last night into perspective, we beat the Cowboys, who were coming off a tough Monday night match and were without both captains, Thurston and Scott (arguably the best forward in Origin this year). If we had to play Manly next week, they would put 50 on us, I reckon.
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

1974semifinal

Post by 1974semifinal » Sun 17 Jul, 2011 4:54 pm

[quote="citizen cub"]I wouldn't say we're that far behind Melbourne. I know they beat us quite comfortably at Leichhardt despite the close scoreline, but I think they are beatable and I think if we are playing anywhere near our best then we can beat them.

Are you serious ..watch them against Canberra..we beat a a weak NQ and despite some good moments ..there were many poor moments..

Gary Bakerloo

Post by Gary Bakerloo » Sun 17 Jul, 2011 6:48 pm

We will know where this wests team stands with regard to any improvement in a couple of weeks when they play manly. In saying that, we have to get pass Carney this Saturday. He always plays well against us.

hadds75

Post by hadds75 » Mon 18 Jul, 2011 12:54 pm

We are lightyears behind Dragons, Manly,Melbourne and even Brisbane.

These sides turn in every week. There forwards are ruthless and dont give an inch and there backs across the outside are all in a much HIGHER CLASS than ours. Not to mention how much better all of these teams kicking games are than ours.

We need to just aim to make the semis and if we are there, like any team you are a chance because if you can get to that grand final qualifier, it doesnt matter if you are St George (who have lost 5 games all year) or the Tigers (who will have lost 10+ games for the year), but you are on an even playing field.

And regardless of what happens in the finals, whether an outside team comes from no where - the best teams of 2011 are far and away the 3 majors listed in this thread. Personally I see too many deficincies in our roster and would be fairly happy just to be in the finals, particularly with our run home.

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Mon 18 Jul, 2011 1:26 pm

I think we are pretty close when we get 50% of the ball... We need to continue working on our 5th tackle options/reset, limit our missed tackles and remember we need to go forward before going sideways...

If we can maintain these 3 areas, we can win the comp!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

underdog

Post by underdog » Mon 18 Jul, 2011 2:19 pm

stryker wrote:A good, technical win against the chooks ( who are our nemesis), will set us up for the following games.

That being said its a long hard road to the semis.
I disagree - (regarding the long hard road TO the semis)

once we are past the Dragons it gets a bit easier (compared to what the other teams on the same run have)

panthers are hot/cold - I don't rate them. We can beat those guys.

Kick away from coote, have ayshford shut jennings down, Wrap the ball up when you tackle Petro, Lewis probably wont be there after his injury, and Walsh IMO is overrated, and has a streaky kicking game too reliant on bombs.

after that, we have a busted and broken Parramatta outfit, who by that stage should be out of contention, followed by a "hey, look at 2012!" Gold Coast outfit, and the Sharks, who if you study their run to the finals, should also be out of contention by then, despite sitting close now.

If we can't win those three games, and the Panthers Game, we don't deserve to be there. I'm confident we can surge into the finals, and methinks we could win all of those games. Dragons have looked human the last few weeks, and Manly are due for a lousy game.

We can do this.

CARN TIGERS!!! :sign: