Time to go Robert Lui..........

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: 7.30 PM, Saturday 23 July
Venue: Leichhardt Oval
Telecast: FOX SPORTS 2
Centaur

Re: Time to go Robert Lui..........

Post by Centaur » Mon 25 Jul, 2011 10:59 am

you know who wrote:Manly have some big men like rose, kite, watmough and king, they will have a party is this isnt rectified. I cant understand why lui tried to pick up the ball when all he had to do was dive on it, or place his hand on the ball. Anasta should have been penalised as well for his push in the back to lui.
Honestly get over it.

Hundred of tries have been bombed by Tigers players in the past, players make mistakes, it happens - I much rather a slip up like this one than a player hogging the ball, going for all the glory, and risking bombing a try.

I thought Lui was composed and improved for the most part. He laid on a try or two, and can kick the ball a hell of a lot better than Marshall or Farah. His defence blows and is a liability, but we just have to continue partnering him up with better defenders for the time being.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 25 Jul, 2011 11:09 am

If anyone wants to criticise Lui for the Anasta try, why does Ellis escape criticism for letting Aiden Guerra stroll on through for the second try? Lui cops flack for the disallowed Jake Friend try, and Farah/Moltzen escape for their diabolical effort to get to the ball in the first place.

His defence is a deficiency yes, but he's not the only bloke out there that has defensive lapses that let in tries. You'd think he was singlehandedly responsible for every point that is scored against us with the way some carry on here.

As someone rightfully pointed out earlier, we persisted with Marshall and Lawrence, yet no luxury is afforded to Lui?
And she's turning cold, at fifteen years old,
Taken too much slow, minds gone out to sea on the P&O,
Don't know what to do, rotten shade of blue,
Another case of "stupid is as stupid does..."

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

willow

Post by willow » Mon 25 Jul, 2011 11:11 am

The other thing that doesn't help Lui is the amount of traffic sent his way these days. Teams know he is the weak link in the Tigers defence and compare the number of tackles he makes compared to Benji, he's making more than twice the amount of tackles Marshall has too and as Sheens said on ABC grandstand, there are a lot of backrowers aiming at him so it's going to be continual struggle for Lui.

bigsiro

Post by bigsiro » Mon 25 Jul, 2011 11:16 am

Centaur wrote: He laid on a try or two, and can kick the ball a hell of a lot better than Marshall or Farah. .
He an definitely kick the ball down the opposition fullback's throat better than Marshall or Farah. I would say he is actually an expert at that.

In attack the best thing he can do is take a tackle, at least then he is likely to be omitted from the next play.

Cultured - we persisted with Marshall because he was a phenomenon. Lawrence was never as bad a tackler as Lui.... AND, we HAVE persisted with Lui. Sadly, it seems we can continue to afford that luxury.
Make Wests Tigers Great Again

Gary Bakerloo

Post by Gary Bakerloo » Mon 25 Jul, 2011 11:32 am

willow wrote: as Sheens said on ABC grandstand, there are a lot of backrowers aiming at him so it's going to be continual struggle for Lui.
If only more teams in the NRL played wingers in the back row, this would not be a problem.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 25 Jul, 2011 11:41 am

bigsiro wrote:
Centaur wrote: He laid on a try or two, and can kick the ball a hell of a lot better than Marshall or Farah. .
He an definitely kick the ball down the opposition fullback's throat better than Marshall or Farah. I would say he is actually an expert at that.

In attack the best thing he can do is take a tackle, at least then he is likely to be omitted from the next play.

Cultured - we persisted with Marshall because he was a phenomenon. Lawrence was never as bad a tackler as Lui.... AND, we HAVE persisted with Lui. Sadly, it seems we can continue to afford that luxury.
I'd rather he kick it down the fullbacks throat rather than over the sideline on the full, or straight to the winger when kicking for touch. Farah and Marshall have that down pat.
And she's turning cold, at fifteen years old,
Taken too much slow, minds gone out to sea on the P&O,
Don't know what to do, rotten shade of blue,
Another case of "stupid is as stupid does..."

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Mon 25 Jul, 2011 11:50 am

Lui had a better game on Saturday night than Farah did. Lui was involved in two tries and Farah was involved in none, and he also killed our attack with stupid kicks more than once.

To say Lui contributes nothing in attack is just wrong, it's not true. Lui has had a very poor season, but now it seems no matter what he does he will always get criticised. If he made 40 tackles and set up five tries, someone would still find a part of his game to bag.

Ignoring anything in the past and solely judging on Saturday nights game, Lui played better than Farah. Marshall also missed a bad tackle that lead to a try but of course that did not cop the same vile that Lui does.

It was only a few years ago that Marshall's defence was equally as terrible as Lui's is right now. People have short memories. Benji's D eventually got better and better, as will Lui's. Sure, Marshall will never be a great defender, but he is not in the team to tackle. Scott Prince was also a terrible defender.

Right now I don't see another option. Let Miller finish the year out in NYC as they have a big chance of winning the thing, who else is there? Moltzen, who will not even be here next season? No thanks.

For the record, I thought Lui should have been dropped for a week or two about a month ago, but it did not happen, and it will not happen now (and nor should it).

IMO there are far bigger issues than Lui, Sheens' ridiculous bench selection being one of them.

genoshan

Post by genoshan » Mon 25 Jul, 2011 11:53 am

When I watch the games every week, I find myself abusing Lui more than anyone else. This week I think he played much better. Sure he misseda tackle or 2, but I also saw some good tackles he made.

We have to finish the season with him... If a change was going to be made it needed to be made weeks ago, not with 6 rounds to go.

dimitri

Post by dimitri » Tue 26 Jul, 2011 8:27 am

I would say there are a few people on here that don't like the "look" of Lui.

I say this because it can be the only explanation for the barrage against Lui who won the man of the match.

He's a kid whose played around 20games.

Give him and us a break with this dribble.

The Shiraz Tiger

Post by The Shiraz Tiger » Tue 26 Jul, 2011 9:13 am

I've said it before and I'll say it again, give the kid a break. He's still developing his own game having to play along side the likes of Farrah and Marshall. And defence, he's a halfback. There wouldn't be a handful of halfbacks renowned for their wonderful defence on forwards in this comp. I think he's picking when to run the ball or spred it a lot better and is increasing in confidence. Also, you watch any game this weekend and count how many times a fullback has the ball kicked directly to them rather than have to run any more than 5 meters to get to to the ball. It will be just about every time. There's whinging about how many times Lui kicks the ball straight to the full back, well, that happens on a regular basis in every game by every team.

bigsiro

Post by bigsiro » Tue 26 Jul, 2011 1:14 pm

Well, as long as he tries his heart out.......

FFS put me in there! I am a die hard! Even though I am completely unfit and have absolutely no talent whatsoever I promise to try harder than any of them! I promise!

Do we actually accept "trying" and "he's a kid" as a valid excuses to keep a player?
If we do then we are doomed.

This argument is going round and round:
Some of us fans think Lui isn't good enough while others think that even though Lui isn't good enough we should persist with him nonetheless. I just don't get why any fan would choose to be second rate.

We don't have to finish the season with him. He's an incredible liability who we are all hoping turns into simply less of a liability.

And dimitri...that was real subtle buddy...you have got to be joking spouting garbage like that.

I just want us to win games. It's that simple.
Make Wests Tigers Great Again

cnx_tigers

Post by cnx_tigers » Tue 26 Jul, 2011 1:21 pm

dimitri wrote:I would say there are a few people on here that don't like the "look" of Lui.
Dimitri

That is THE dumbest post I have ever read on here. Your inference is a disgrace.

I am not even going to justify your moronic comment with any further words.

To the other posters, the entire thread is about Robert Lui's defense. I am someone who has followed him since he was 18 and I want to see him succeed. The reality though is that he has major, major technique problems and the NRL is not the place to fix them. His passing game is fine, but his D is the worst in the NRL (one on one) and it's costing the team every game.

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Tue 26 Jul, 2011 1:27 pm

cnx_tigers wrote: To the other posters, the entire thread is about Robert Lui's defense. I am someone who has followed him since he was 18 and I want to see him succeed. The reality though is that he has major, major technique problems and the NRL is not the place to fix them. His passing game is fine, but his D is the worst in the NRL (one on one) and it's costing the team every game.
Benji Marshall's defense was the same a few years ago.

batboy

Post by batboy » Tue 26 Jul, 2011 1:30 pm

cnx_tigers wrote:
dimitri wrote:I would say there are a few people on here that don't like the "look" of Lui.
Dimitri

That is THE dumbest post I have ever read on here. Your inference is a disgrace.

I am not even going to justify your moronic comment with any further words.

To the other posters, the entire thread is about Robert Lui's defense. I am someone who has followed him since he was 18 and I want to see him succeed. The reality though is that he has major, major technique problems and the NRL is not the place to fix them. His passing game is fine, but his D is the worst in the NRL (one on one) and it's costing the team every game.
I think you will find Chris Sandow has the most missed tackles in the NRL... And he just signed for a few hundred K / Year to a new club....
The fact remains MOST halves in the NRL are rubbish defenders... Some teams hide it more than others, Some teams attack it more than others... Unfortunately for us, We are on the wrong end of both those revelations!!

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Tue 26 Jul, 2011 1:34 pm

I think there is an irrational sense of manic thought when it comes to criticising Rob Lui.

Personally I think he is our best halfback option at the moment. Though Miller may step up in the next few months he has shown in his performances that he is not quite there yet funnily enough this is the case in defence which is one of Millers strong suits in the NYC

Lui was good last game. He made a few defensive mistakes but the effort was there and his confidence grew as the game went on. Until the last two performances I would have agreed about his lack of effort in defence but he was putting his body into his defence the past fortnight. He was isolated by the Anasta run but still made the right call. His outside men made the wrong decision coming in when there was inside assistance headed to Lui.

The Roosters made nearly all of their line bresks through the opposite side of the field to Lui but that isn't important I guess.

Also we hid Marshall on the wing for a few seasons but Rob has not been shifted at all. He is being forced to step up in the same way Luke Walsh was with the Panthers. Though they have the luxury of a solid defender at 5/8 in Burns so they only have to cover one lesser defender where we have 2

everett

Post by everett » Tue 26 Jul, 2011 1:45 pm

Lui is our best option at the moment. Miller might get a go next year.

Folkes needs to work with him with the tackling bags.

Most half backs over the years are the weakest defenders in the team.
Living the dream and praying for another premiership

BeeJay

Post by BeeJay » Tue 26 Jul, 2011 1:47 pm

ahh smeg coming through with facts and rationale.. you know that has no place here..

Wests tigers fans always need someone to death ride in the team.. someone to fill the void that was left behind when fitzy left.

Lui is our best choice at halfback at the moment.
next year miller might have put on a few kgs and grown in confidence and then may be ready to make the step up to first grade..
at the moment he looks like a kid out there, a little lost and lacking confidence of when to demand the ball come his way..

Lui seems to be very much a confidence player and as the team gets a roll on into the finals I expect lui to find that confidence and be a little more consistant.