Time to go Robert Lui..........

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: 7.30 PM, Saturday 23 July
Venue: Leichhardt Oval
Telecast: FOX SPORTS 2
User avatar
Tiger Watto
Member
Member
Posts: 10560
Joined: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: Maroochydore Qld

Re: Time to go Robert Lui..........

Post by Tiger Watto » Tue 26 Jul, 2011 1:58 pm

lol... I reckon the next 2 weeks are games which should see him cement his position in this team. I highly doubt Manly and the Dragons arent too worried about Robert Lui, and will set a game plan to shut down Farah, Benji & Lawrence... You only have to watch the back end in 2010 to realise what the opposition is gona do.

Time to shine Robert... Take this opportunity with both arms!!!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017


User avatar
mtd
Member
Member
Posts: 1926
Joined: Thu 16 Jul, 2009 9:23 am

Post by mtd » Tue 26 Jul, 2011 4:36 pm

genoshan wrote:When I watch the games every week, I find myself abusing Lui more than anyone else.
you goto start paying more attention to the referees then!

User avatar
cktiger
Member
Member
Posts: 3342
Joined: Fri 12 Nov, 2010 10:37 am

Post by cktiger » Tue 26 Jul, 2011 5:33 pm

You guys will be saying he is too young and to give him a chance for the next 10 years.
He missed 2 shockers last week that led to tries (fortunately one was disallowed)
He passed the ball to other players in two passing movements that led to tries - wow !
Comparing him to Marshall who was an attacking freak at the same age is insane.
And playing better than Farah?
For the first ten minutes last week I really was hoping he was going to put in defensively - but then it was back to normal!
And it's his defence everyone is bagging - not him.
He is bleeding points against bad teams so it's no wonder myself and plenty of others are getting even more worried now.

User avatar
cnx_tigers
Member
Member
Posts: 827
Joined: Sun 19 Jul, 2009 6:57 pm

Post by cnx_tigers » Tue 26 Jul, 2011 6:16 pm

This week will be his absolute test..........Watmough, Foran and Matai all on his side of the field and you know already that Des will be targetting him BIG time.

If he gets through it = it will help him long term enormously.

If he gets slaughtered = could destroy him for a long time mentally.

Let's all keep our fingers crossed.

User avatar
stryker
Member
Member
Posts: 10825
Joined: Sun 19 Jul, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: Cairns

Post by stryker » Tue 26 Jul, 2011 6:16 pm

Tiger Watto wrote:lol... I reckon the next 2 weeks are games which should see him cement his position in this team. I highly doubt Manly and the Dragons arent too worried about Robert Lui, and will set a game plan to shut down Farah, Benji & Lawrence... You only have to watch the back end in 2010 to realise what the opposition is gona do.

Time to shine Robert... Take this opportunity with both arms!!!
Lets hope so mate. I thought Lui was our player of the finals series last year and was extremely excited to see how far he could kick on this year.

He has gone backwards thus far. Thats where the dissappointment has set in with many I'd say.

p.s. Dimitri your an A grade turd for suggesting that. I have never heard or read of any one on here being racist.


User avatar
hybrid_tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 4564
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 10:49 am
Location: Latchem Robinson Stand

Post by hybrid_tiger » Tue 26 Jul, 2011 11:05 pm

cktiger wrote:You guys will be saying he is too young and to give him a chance for the next 10 years.
Not at all, but remember he has only played 30-odd first grade games. His defence WILL improve, even if I can imagine you sitting there hoping it will not so you can come on here and continue to bag him.
cktiger wrote: He missed 2 shockers last week that led to tries (fortunately one was disallowed)
So did Ellis and Marshall, yet of course no mention of them. Lui is obviously the only player that costs us tries in defence.
cktiger wrote: He passed the ball to other players in two passing movements that led to tries - wow !
That is called a try assist.
cktiger wrote: Comparing him to Marshall who was an attacking freak at the same age is insane.
Not comparing his attack with Marshall at all, I am comparing his defence. Lui's defence is NO WORSE than Marshall's was a few years ago, this is a fact.
cktiger wrote: And playing better than Farah?
Yes, Lui was directly involved in two tries. Farah did nothing except kill our attack more than once, like he has almost all year.

I can only imagine the uproar here if Lui kicked out on the full like Farah has done every week this season.

The Shiraz Tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon 25 Apr, 2011 5:11 pm

Post by The Shiraz Tiger » Wed 27 Jul, 2011 9:37 am

I think Lui is a good player and our best option at half back at this time. He is involved in everything and thus of course mistakes are going to be made. Mistakes are made by everyone during the game. It will be very interesting to see how he goes against formidable opponenents in manly and Dragon in the coming weeks. I for one hope he steps up, not just for the Tigers sake, but for his own development as well.
Lui Lui, oh boy said away I go, yeah yeah yeah yeah......
Oh and by the way Stryker, congrats on your 3001 post, nice.

Costaki

Post by Costaki » Wed 27 Jul, 2011 12:35 pm

According to foxsports Lui is the second worst defender in the league, if you go by missed tackles as a ratio to minutes played, behind sandow.

sandow has a missed or inefficient tackle on average once every 15 minutes and lui is about once every 16 minutes.

after re-watching the game last week lui and the team in general actually looked very good in attack. we looked sharp all over and the roosters defended very well. we could have scored at least 2 more tries and we were making plenty of half breaks. in that department he looked good. His kicking game was good too, even though people have criticised him for kicking to the fullback on the full, after a rewatch most of those were from deep in our own half. He has a big boot and id say he is arguably the best kicker in the club at the moment.

but yeah, his attempt on friend for that disallowed try was diabolical. He is still defending at NYC level and his misses have been very costly. Id say hes costing us on average 1.5 tries per game (thats a guess) and he isnt creating as many as that. Although id say he's definitely our best option in attack i keep wondering if on the balance of things we'd be better off playing moltzen at 7 and brown/mckinnon at fullback. with moltzen at 7 benji would also see more ball as timmy plays a more passive game than rob.

I agree that Benji and lawrence both had major defensive issues earlier in their careers and they have both improved out of sight (particularly chris). But gee he needs to show some signs of improvement in D real soon because even in attack he's not in the same league as those two and we can't carry him for much longer if at all.

Goose
Member
Member
Posts: 4619
Joined: Tue 21 Sep, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: Concord

Post by Goose » Wed 27 Jul, 2011 10:20 pm

hybrid_tiger wrote:
cktiger wrote:You guys will be saying he is too young and to give him a chance for the next 10 years.
Not at all, but remember he has only played 30-odd first grade games. His defence WILL improve, even if I can imagine you sitting there hoping it will not so you can come on here and continue to bag him.
cktiger wrote: He missed 2 shockers last week that led to tries (fortunately one was disallowed)
So did Ellis and Marshall, yet of course no mention of them. Lui is obviously the only player that costs us tries in defence.
cktiger wrote: He passed the ball to other players in two passing movements that led to tries - wow !
That is called a try assist.
cktiger wrote: Comparing him to Marshall who was an attacking freak at the same age is insane.
Not comparing his attack with Marshall at all, I am comparing his defence. Lui's defence is NO WORSE than Marshall's was a few years ago, this is a fact.
cktiger wrote: And playing better than Farah?
Yes, Lui was directly involved in two tries. Farah did nothing except kill our attack more than once, like he has almost all year.

I can only imagine the uproar here if Lui kicked out on the full like Farah has done every week this season.
I know you are a Lui fan, but these comments I just cant get close to agreeing with.

Lui is struggling massively, he has been better the last 2 weeks, but still exceptionally frustrating.

BTW comparing marshall and lui in defence is opinion not fact, and an opinion that I disagree with, marshall was a poor a defender, I believe Lui is worse.

I was challenged at the pub the other night to come up with a worse full time half back since the beginning of the NRL. I was unable to do so.

I know Lui was good against St George in the final, apart from that tho he was average at best, this has given everyone hope, ive given up on him

User avatar
mtd
Member
Member
Posts: 1926
Joined: Thu 16 Jul, 2009 9:23 am

Post by mtd » Wed 27 Jul, 2011 10:51 pm

"i was challenged at the pub to come up with a worse halfback since the beginning of the nrl"

PLEASE....

Glennb
Member
Member
Posts: 706
Joined: Fri 17 Jul, 2009 4:28 pm

Post by Glennb » Thu 28 Jul, 2011 3:23 pm

cnx_tigers wrote:This week will be his absolute test..........Watmough, Foran and Matai all on his side of the field and you know already that Des will be targetting him BIG time.
.
This is the bit that gets me.....every week is an absolute test and generally speaking he has failed consistently in defence.

User avatar
smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Posts: 9451
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 11:56 pm

Post by smeghead » Thu 28 Jul, 2011 3:34 pm

Adam Blair beside Robert Lui and thisdiscussion is no longer an issue.

So far Lui has had a arm grabber and the smallest backrower playing today as his inside cover men.

Ray Thompson is a average defender at best but nobody runs at him because one of the Sims boys sits on his inside shoulder.

Soward is a speedbump but Beau Scott cleans up his mess.

Our problem is that we carry two weaker defending halfbacks
Image

User avatar
hybrid_tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 4564
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 10:49 am
Location: Latchem Robinson Stand

Post by hybrid_tiger » Thu 28 Jul, 2011 5:17 pm

Goose, I suppose you could say I am a Lui fan, but I'll admit he has largely been dreadful this year. I can see there is talent there though, and I'm willing to give him the time and experience to improve.

You may not think Marshall was just as poor defensively but go and watch some tapes when Benji first came into first grade - he was just as much an arm grabber as Lui is now.

Some of the garbage I have read about Lui is just crap this year, seems no matter what the performance or result he is always a target. I even read someone comparing him to John Morris a few weeks ago...i mean c'mon.

Smeg is right as usual. Other teams protect their defensive liabilities, we simply expose them and offer zero protection.


Posted using RoarFEED

User avatar
Centaur
Member
Member
Posts: 1572
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 2:35 pm

Post by Centaur » Thu 28 Jul, 2011 6:04 pm

I am with HT on this one. I am a Lui a fan and will be one of the first to admit that his form over the last couple of months has been average, even poor on occassion. His defence is atrocious to say the least, however I think too many people are now focusing too much on this weakness and failing to see the positives.

I will forever maintain that he can kick a football much better than Marshall or Farah (I think it was last week that he booted one dead from about 70 metres). However he doesn't get the opportunity to sharpen his skills because Marshall and Farah are too stubborn and proud to let Lui take control of this particular facet of the game. Anyone who thinks Marshall and Farah are accomplished kickers of the footy in general play are dilussional - it is one of the worst parts of the Tigers game. Sure they can provide the odd piece of brilliance, but for the most part it is awful.

I reckon he has a class running game, he is strong with the ball in hand and regularly breaks through tackles making half/full breaks. If we had players in our side who backed up our ball runners Lui would have 20 more try assists (fact of the matter is, Moltzen only sniffs around Marshall).

He can pass, people seem to downplay the fact that Lui has laid on some tries this year with some nice passing. Is it exceptional? No. Is it better than Moltzens or Millers? I think so.

He does take the wrong option sometimes, but this comes down to experience. I definitely don't think he has been losing us games with his decision making.

Lui looks average sometimes when he does the old prance around and dish off to a second rower to get smashed. We have really been lacking options a lot this year and coming up with some wasteful plays. He needs to take more control and give more direction.

Does he direct our side? No, I don't think he does. Should he? Yes, I think he should. Is it his fault that he doesn't? I highly doubt it.

Late last year he was in hot form and people were talking about him being a future Origin rep, I am confident that he can find that kind of form again. He would be massively down on confidence, and it is not easy to break out of a form slump when the whole team is playing poorly (which the Tigers have been for the most part).

My conclusions - give him the rest of 2011 - give him the pre-season - it is too late for household changes anyway.

End rant.

User avatar
turnstyle
Member
Member
Posts: 2078
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 2:30 pm
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Yep. Brisbane.

Post by turnstyle » Thu 28 Jul, 2011 10:27 pm

great thread! lots of people are making really good points and i agree with the objective points most of us are posting with here.
i have to say my jaw dropped when i saw lui's "attempt" to tackle right on his line and the fact is it was completely unacceptable for any player in the NRL.
i have been a fan of his since he first got a go from NYC and he had really improved defensively until recently.
he is getting hugely targeted and constantly has to tackle the big guys, but this is part of the game. and i completely agree that marshall was as bad if not worse defensively (and didn't i bang on about that?!) but the last couple of seasons he has improved this area out of sight (which = no bagging from turnstyle!). i always said he could tackle but just didn't.

so the fact is his tackling can be abysmal and costly. however, he has had nowhere near the grace period given to marshall and i'm sure he will improve no end.

if he is still at the tigers next year I'm sure he will be better for the experience. in my view, he has a fantastic ability to throw a pass to put someone through a gap and it was only a few games ago he shot out an absolute blinder and as someone else posted, you need someone to back you up for this to happen.

also, he really impresses me how he hits the line with ball in hand (previously posted) and i love the fact that we have a half back who is not always going to pass as it gives just that little bit less predictability.

and no, this is certainly not the time to drop him....
Image

Post Reply