ImageImageImage
Kickoff: 3PM Sunday 21 August
Venue: Sydney Football Stadium
Telecast: Ch9 Delayed
cunno

Re: On Tim Sheens

Post by cunno » Thu 25 Aug, 2011 8:12 pm

happy tiger wrote:
cunno wrote:It will be interesting to see the tact Sheens has the team taking in the lead up to the semis and whether this changes or remains the same in the first game. Obviously opponents will have a bearing but in the main the team has to work on its own game more. For example, against the titans and sharks, games we are expected to win, will the emphasis be on scoring points all out or will the team play the early stages like a semi then put the peddle to the metal from there? Monday night should be interesting.
The biggest mistake we could make Cunno is get away from the game plan which has won our last 6 games
If we play like we did against Manly and Saints we should win and win well
I think Cowboys will probably beat Sharks but it will be under 12 points
I agree with you Happy I'll look for subtle changes.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 25 Aug, 2011 8:49 pm

I think he'll just tell them to focus on completions and field position and let the rest take care of itself

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 25 Aug, 2011 8:53 pm

....and just on Tim Sheens, whtever happens come finals time, its now been two pretty good seasons in a row...something weve never really done before - and that deserves credit.

One becomes used to success in a way....I noticed this in myself the Panthers game, I expected much more after what we did to the Dragons the week before.....but we didnt play that well the following week against penrith, which is OK as its not easy to play well all the time....but we still won.
Its a long long way from the days when I went to a game not expecting to win - only hoping for one, expect to win most weeks now....that was a long time ago!

tiger4ever

Post by tiger4ever » Thu 25 Aug, 2011 8:58 pm

innsaneink wrote:....and just on Tim Sheens, whtever happens come finals time, its now been two pretty good seasons in a row...something weve never really done before - and that deserves credit.

One becomes used to success in a way....I noticed this in myself the Panthers game, I expected much more after what we did to the Dragons the week before.....but we didnt play that well the following week against penrith, which is OK as its not easy to play well all the time....but we still won.
Its a long long way from the days when I went to a game not expecting to win - only hoping for one, expect to win most weeks now....that was a long time ago!

Make sure you remember you wrote this.Good to see for a change something positive

Goose

Post by Goose » Fri 26 Aug, 2011 9:48 am

Gary Bakerloo wrote:I used to share the thought that BALMAIN should have won, but when watching the replay again after all these years, they were extremely lucky to be up 14-2. Roach has admitted so much in the attitude of the players at half time. Perhaps if a few more fans and players brought themselves to watch the game again, they would realise their luck in the match and feel content they got as far as they did.

If anything, BALMAIN should feel more distraught about the 1988 grand final. They were the better side with hanley and remained competitive after he left the field.
I almost fell off my chair reading this, i have watched the game about 50 times, and after reading this pulled out the DVD and watched it again. You are crazy if you believe we were "lucky" to get as far as we did.
The tigers dominated the entire first 60 minutes, despite one of our tries being lucky we were clearly the better side. The commentators regularly saying as much througout.
The last 20 momentum slowly turns and than like a tidal wave Canberra play all over the top of us. That momentum starts with Roach and than Siro coming off.
There are a heap of moments we extremely unlucky with, Benny hitting the cross bar, the extremely dubious penalty against McGuire, the pearce bombed try, the ferguson try to level it, was pretty lucky, Mick neil was unlucky not to score.... The close moments and rub of the green went against us that day.

Gary Bakerloo

Post by Gary Bakerloo » Fri 26 Aug, 2011 11:26 am

Goose wrote:I almost fell off my chair reading this, i have watched the game about 50 times, and after reading this pulled out the DVD and watched it again. You are crazy if you believe we were "lucky" to get as far as we did.
The tigers dominated the entire first 60 minutes, despite one of our tries being lucky we were clearly the better side. The commentators regularly saying as much throughout.
This is off topic and I do apologise. Maybe another thread on the 1989 GF is warranted.

I was in the same boat as yourself before watching the game again and simply, the two tries were lucky (intercept and lucky bounce).

http://www.eraofthebiff.com/mm32.html

Balmain led 12-2 at half time having scored two tries against the run of play. The first, an intercept by winger James Grant after Raiders prop Brent Todd lost possession in a heavy tackle. The second was a great team effort with Paul Sironen steaming over under the posts after lead-up work from English import Andy Currier and Grant all starting from a kick ahead by Currier after he had received a perfect offload from Steve Roach.

Canberra had looked marginally the better side in the first half and coach Tim Sheens spoke effectively to his players at the break stressing that they could be considered unlucky to be trailing. Fifteen minutes into the second half "Chicka" Ferguson set up the Raiders first try when he escaped an attempted tackle by Currier, passed to Belcher who also beat Currier to score. The gap was narrowed to 12-8.

Ed Reschs

Post by Ed Reschs » Fri 26 Aug, 2011 11:42 am

I was in the same boat as yourself before watching the game again and simply, the two tries were lucky (intercept and lucky bounce).

http://www.eraofthebiff.com/mm32.html

Balmain led 12-2 at half time having scored two tries against the run of play. The first, an intercept by winger James Grant after Raiders prop Brent Todd lost possession in a heavy tackle. The second was a great team effort with Paul Sironen steaming over under the posts after lead-up work from English import Andy Currier and Grant all starting from a kick ahead by Currier after he had received a perfect offload from Steve Roach.

Canberra had looked marginally the better side in the first half and coach Tim Sheens spoke effectively to his players at the break stressing that they could be considered unlucky to be trailing. Fifteen minutes into the second half "Chicka" Ferguson set up the Raiders first try when he escaped an attempted tackle by Currier, passed to Belcher who also beat Currier to score. The gap was narrowed to 12-8.
[/quote]

I remember that Grand Final. Balmain were a little stiff. I remember nearly the whole world was cheering for the raiders tho that day at the Leagues club. No one wanted the Tigers to win. how things are different now.

Tigermac

Post by Tigermac » Fri 26 Aug, 2011 12:06 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Tigermac wrote:
Balmain Bug wrote:How did it lose Balmain the Grand Final ? I thought Benny missing a field goal right in front lost Balmain that Grand Final.
or Junior Pearce dropping the ball with 3 unmarked men outside him :( :( :(

I actually saw this game again not too long ago and only just noticed in this incident, and i dont think Ive ever seen it mentioned - Jnr had the low setting sun directly in his face, it was a highish ball....not easy by any means.

I am an old Balmain supporter, no way was I blaming Junior for that, just making a point that alot of things happened on that day, it just was not meant to be!!

I think I smoked a whole packet of ciggies in the 20 minutes extra time, knowing deep down inside that we were gooooone. Even watched the lap of honour, hoping to wake up from my nightmare :shock: :shock:

Chris

Post by Chris » Fri 26 Aug, 2011 12:11 pm

Can we please stop discussing the '89 Grand Final? This thread is about Tim Sheens, not the '89 Grand Final. You're more than welcome to discuss that in the General Section.

Tigermac

Post by Tigermac » Fri 26 Aug, 2011 12:23 pm

Chris wrote:Can we please stop discussing the '89 Grand Final? This thread is about Tim Sheens, not the '89 Grand Final. You're more than welcome to discuss that in the General Section.

Oops sorry, back to 2011

Sheens is a great coach, he has a fantastic team and Benji is a star!!!

Lets go Wests Tigers, all the way :D :D :D

rossop

Post by rossop » Thu 01 Sep, 2011 7:49 am

innsaneink wrote:I think he'll just tell them to focus on completions and field position and let the rest take care of itself
I think you're right.

Go Tiges!