A couple of observations

Tigerpete

New member
Joined
Jul 11, 2009
Messages
1,530
1\. Blake Ayshford - For the life of me i can't work out why Sheens does not talk about this kid as a future centre. Considering his lack of pre season which prevented him from strength and conditioning work his ability is impressive. His attacking game is very promising. Shows good strength despite the previously mentioned pre season issues. Just as impressive is his footwork. There are similarities Ayshford shares with a certain Gasnier in terms of his dancing feet.

2\. Tim Moltzen - As good as he has done at fullback earlier this season, he was at another level yesterday. Perhaps the confidence gained from moving back in the halves contributed to this? His support play was phenomenal yesterday and dare i say it there were a few Billy Slater-esque abilities shown yesterday. Bottom line though, the last 7 days have proven just why the club's response to Gallant has been so lukewarm.
 

Balmain_Bug

New member
Joined
Jul 12, 2009
Messages
2,484
@Tigerpete said:
1\. Blake Ayshford - For the life of me i can't work out why Sheens does not talk about this kid as a future centre. Considering his lack of pre season which prevented him from strength and conditioning work his ability is impressive. His attacking game is very promising. Shows good strength despite the previously mentioned pre season issues. Just as impressive is his footwork. There are similarities Ayshford shares with a certain Gasnier in terms of his dancing feet.

2\. Tim Moltzen - As good as he has done at fullback earlier this season, he was at another level yesterday. Perhaps the confidence gained from moving back in the halves contributed to this? His support play was phenomenal yesterday and dare i say it there were a few Billy Slater-esque abilities shown yesterday. Bottom line though, the last 7 days have proven just why the club's response to Gallant has been so lukewarm.

Lets remember we played 5 1st graders and a reserve grade team yesterday.

What do you prefer?

1\. Gallant
6\. Benji
7\. Moltzen

or

1\. Moltzen
6\. Benji
7\. Liu

The 1st option gives us more strike power, the 2nd option gives us more play makers.
 

izotope

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 20, 2009
Messages
2,447
its a extremely hard call.
Moltzen seemed to back up better then MM. But he is also dangerous in the halves.
MM has better defensive positional play, but i think his tackling technique could be looked at :confused:

and obviously Lui just needs more time. If he can become another benji on the right side, then i pick that option hands down.

Moltzen is a great HB, but 2 benji's with moltz backing up is even better!.
 
G

Guest

Guest
I've got no complaints with Gallant or Moltzen at 1\. They're both good in different ways. Sheens sees Moltzen as the priority though and with Lui making a sound debut and Taumata on his way next year, I'd say Gallant might be waiting for injuries to strike before he gets another chance.
 

Tigerpete

New member
Joined
Jul 11, 2009
Messages
1,530
Moltzen looks to be more of the Hodgson mould, perhaps without the positional play, though that can improve over time. It looks as though Gallant's biggest weakness could be the fact he just doesn't have the amount of strings on his bow.
 

mtd

New member
Joined
Jul 15, 2009
Messages
2,200
imo moltzen is a natural half and should most definately be playing there in my opinion.
sure he kills it at fullback, but its only because he's fearless.

ayshford should be locked into that centre positon like collis was and i think he'll come good.
 

tiger3

New member
Joined
Jul 13, 2009
Messages
188
ayshford should be locked into that centre positon like collis was and i think he'll come good.

I agree,but there is no point locking him in if the halves and winger outside him is a revolving door of Neville's every other week. I think the consistency in the halves and Crabman Ryan coming good and manning up will be a shot in the arm for Ayshford's development as a centre. He certainly is a talent.
 

TheSunTanSuperman

New member
Joined
Aug 5, 2009
Messages
484
@Balmain Bug said:
@Tigerpete said:
1\. Blake Ayshford - For the life of me i can't work out why Sheens does not talk about this kid as a future centre. Considering his lack of pre season which prevented him from strength and conditioning work his ability is impressive. His attacking game is very promising. Shows good strength despite the previously mentioned pre season issues. Just as impressive is his footwork. There are similarities Ayshford shares with a certain Gasnier in terms of his dancing feet.

2\. Tim Moltzen - As good as he has done at fullback earlier this season, he was at another level yesterday. Perhaps the confidence gained from moving back in the halves contributed to this? His support play was phenomenal yesterday and dare i say it there were a few Billy Slater-esque abilities shown yesterday. Bottom line though, the last 7 days have proven just why the club's response to Gallant has been so lukewarm.

Lets remember we played 5 1st graders and a reserve grade team yesterday.

What do you prefer?

1\. Gallant
6\. Benji
7\. Moltzen

or

1\. Moltzen
6\. Benji
7\. Liu

The 1st option gives us more strike power, the 2nd option gives us more play makers.

And yet Gallant did it against an even weaker Bulldogs side last year, and he's the next Garry Jack.

Tim Moltzen showed more attacking spark yesterday with his explosive support running.

To summarise, Moltzen is better than Gallant in support play. He offers the benefit of being a playmaker, which Gallant doesn't. His defence is a few classes above Gallant to top it off.

Gallant is a good, solid player. Moltzen is a superstar.
 

Gobbs

New member
Joined
Jul 13, 2009
Messages
442
Location
Prairiewood
I think the best observation that i've been able to take in over the past 6 weeks is that with Gallant, Moltzen and Lui all featuring in the continuation of this winning streak, confidence and momentum that has been established, is that it gives Wests Tigers tremendous 'depth' in key positions. In seasons gone past, Wests have lacked that half to step up and fill the shoes of the enigmatic Marshall and Sheens has relied upon a makeshift solution. The Tigers now have two quality fullbacks who can both handle the weekly grind of First Grade, as well three specialist halves. Something Wests have never been blessed with in its 10 year history as a Joint Venture club. And to think that young Mullaney is showing tremendous promise as a Hodgo like fullback not to mention the addition of Arana Taumata to the club's ranks in 2010 will only strength such depth. It's taken years, but depth has finally arrived at Wests Tigers.
 

thewingfitz

New member
Joined
Jul 13, 2009
Messages
121
Location
wests home campbelltown
@Gobbs said:
I think the best observation that i've been able to take in over the past 6 weeks is that with Gallant, Moltzen and Lui all featuring in the continuation of this winning streak, confidence and momentum that has been established, is that it gives Wests Tigers tremendous 'depth' in key positions. In seasons gone past, Wests have lacked that half to step up and fill the shoes of the enigmatic Marshall and Sheens has relied upon a makeshift solution. The Tigers now have two quality fullbacks who can both handle the weekly grind of First Grade, as well three specialist halves. Something Wests have never been blessed with in its 10 year history as a Joint Venture club. And to think that young Mullaney is showing tremendous promise as a Hodgo like fullback not to mention the addition of Arana Taumata to the club's ranks in 2010 will only strength such depth. It's taken years, but depth has finally arrived at Wests Tigers.

well said mate and right on the money
 

TheSunTanSuperman

New member
Joined
Aug 5, 2009
Messages
484
@Gobbs said:
The Tigers now have two quality fullbacks who can both handle the weekly grind of First Grade,.

Moltzen has proven he can handle it, Gallant hasn't.

Gallant has been solid in attack, but his defence still leaves alot to be desired. Quite simply if the Tigers do indeed make the finals from this point, Gallant wouldn't get in unless injury struck.
 

Vicious

Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2009
Messages
495
@TheSunTanSuperman said:
@Gobbs said:
The Tigers now have two quality fullbacks who can both handle the weekly grind of First Grade,.

Moltzen has proven he can handle it, Gallant hasn't.

Gallant has been solid in attack, but his defence still leaves alot to be desired. Quite simply if the Tigers do indeed make the finals from this point, Gallant wouldn't get in unless injury struck.

Moltzen is something special, he`s proving to be a diamond in a haystack and no doubting he`s climbing the ladder and making himself one of our top 5 players, no doubts about that. But to say Gallant hasn`t proven himself, you are kidding aren`t you ??? Shannon Gallant has more than proven himself and will be an automatic inclusion in our side this season if he can get back from injury in time. This being said, i`m a massive Robert Lui fan and believe Lui is capable of becoming a superstar of the game, but i`m happy to have the both of them in our squad, that`s for sure !
 

Peaches

New member
Joined
Jul 11, 2009
Messages
2,925
Location
Mount Pritchard
Ayshford needs to stay a centre for the next few years. The bloke has something and probably will get bigger in the off-season. There is no doubt he will end up a forward but while his young and quick, leave him out there. The way the squad is coming together though with all these outside back signings, I'm expecting him to play in the back-row.

Moltzen I just rate. Hes a footballer and would excell in any position. Fullback, centre, five-eigth of halfback; as long as he is on the field I'll be happy. We are going to have to give him a fair rise in $ come next contract. And hopefully its a long one.
 

diedpretty

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 15, 2009
Messages
5,569
Location
port macquarie
I like the look of Lui - he reads the play, slows things down and then makes a move - a big change on our normal frenetic plays - i would rather see Lui at half and Moltzen at FB.
 

TheSunTanSuperman

New member
Joined
Aug 5, 2009
Messages
484
@Vicious said:
Moltzen is something special, he`s proving to be a diamond in a haystack and no doubting he`s climbing the ladder and making himself one of our top 5 players, no doubts about that. But to say Gallant hasn`t proven himself, you are kidding aren`t you ??? Shannon Gallant has more than proven himself and will be an automatic inclusion in our side this season if he can get back from injury in time. This being said, i`m a massive Robert Lui fan and believe Lui is capable of becoming a superstar of the game, but i`m happy to have the both of them in our squad, that`s for sure !

If we make the 8, we've obviously done something right. I don't know how you can say Gallant would be an automatic inclusion. His defence is brittle at best and he doesn't have that special something that Moltzen has.
 

TheSunTanSuperman

New member
Joined
Aug 5, 2009
Messages
484
@izotope said:
MM has better defensive positional play, but i think his tackling technique could be looked at :confused:

I'm sorry I just can't agree with that. The way Moltzen positions himself is brilliant. He creates doubt for the player attacking, and that split second delay Moltzen causes leaves enough time for back up defenders to arrive, the fact Moltzen is able to wrap them up himself though is even better.
 

system

New member
Joined
Jan 8, 2019
Messages
11,941
Its sad we have so much tallent, we cant fit everyone in
moltzen, lui, gallant, lazaurus, mullaney we have fullbacks and pivots coming out our ears
but yet sign the like of brown and tuamata, and use that valluable money that we could spend on a top notch foward
Tupou is a great buy! i must admit
the rest of the signings big F stamp wests tigers recruitment

on a side not
in the past 3 years weve all said what about moltzen, lui etc. they could fill the halfback gap
and im happy to say that time has come and i think sheens knew it was coming but he bided his time waited to they where ready
and god has the waiting paid off moltzen is an absolutle gun!
 

Torbizlo

New member
Joined
Jul 19, 2009
Messages
352
gallant is a great full back, but motlz is better suited there coz he slots into the play ala K.Hunt and is used as an extra half or as a hole hitter. he puts the defence in 2 minds, them not knowing if he is going to catch n pass or hit a hole.
either of them is fine with me.
im just a bit worried hoe lui will perform in what is the tigers toughest and most important match since the 2005 GF.
i hope he shapes up and rips into them.
im so excited 4 this friday nights game.
 

weststigers

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 11, 2009
Messages
2,148
@Gobbs said:
'depth' in key positions. In seasons gone past, Wests have lacked that half to step up and fill the shoes of the enigmatic Marshall and Sheens has relied upon a makeshift solution.

\

@Gobbs said:
The Tigers now have two quality fullbacks who can both handle the weekly grind of First Grade, as well three specialist halves.

\

@Gobbs said:
addition of Arana Taumata to the club's ranks in 2010 will only strength such depth.

My thoughts exactly….key word here is depth.

Can I add that if we look at the team 2 or 3 years ago, we had 'young guns' in there with the potential but without the experience. Now, a few years of first grade under their belt and many have fulfilled that potential and now also have experience. This translates to quality. I think the Wests Tigers finally have quality players in our backline instead of passengers.

1>>>>>> Moltzen looked terrific in the halves, however his stint there has helped him learn Benji's game and as a result he seems to pop up in support from fullback at the right times. The 6 and 1 combo we have is deadly at the moment. I think having Moltz as our back up half is a good idea because he plays in the team week-in week-out over bringing someone up every time we get an injury. Kind of like the arrangement Saints had with Hornby. My opinion is that whether Moltzen plays 1\. or 7., it doesn't weaken the team or weaken his effect on the game. I think it's more a matter of who you play at 1\. should Moltz play halfback or who you play at 7\. if Moltz plays fullback.

I think with Taumata coming next year, we'll see him in the No.7 jersey over Lui for sure, which brings me to my next point.

2>>>>>> Lui had a solid debut and his defence was outstanding considering he had the likes of Pistol Paul Gallen running at him all day. Given Sheens' record, I would say this is Lui's taste of 1st grade and Sheens will resist putting him in as a regular until he thinks he is ready or there are injuries. With that in mind, we also thought Gallant was going to take over from Hodgo and now look what's happened with Moltzen. His form could not be ignored and as a result is our No.1 choice for fullback. If Lui continues to carve up the NYC and then carries that form into the NSW cup then who knows??

3>>>>>> Benji's form has been terrific of late and I think that comes down to less pressure on the kid in 2 ways. Firstly, with Moltzen, Ayshford, Gallant and Ellis in form over this winning streak, the papers have had other players to write about and focus their attention on. Secondly, our attack is not solely focused and reliant upon some 'Marshall brilliance' or 'miracle flick pass' he is famous for. Benji can now pick his moments because the attacking weight of the team is not on his shoulders. I also think that mentally, Benji has finally gotten over his injuries and has carried on where he left off in 05'.

More importantly, we are not going side-to-side on every play, but rather carting it up the middle. We've only been able to do this because of our forwards. Ellis, Galloway and.......Big Skando! have given us terrific go forward....add Tuiaki in there too!

But as Gobbs said, we have plenty of depth now, and even more so next year. I reckon this is the nucleus of a really good team for the next few years.

Apologies for the long post :ugeek:
 
Top