All Hail ...."The Minister of Defence"

Aladinsane

I was standing near the tunnel on Monday night when he walked off after his first 25 minutes or so effort against the Cowboys, when a massive applause and cheers erupted, me included…..for the man known at Concord as "The Minister of Defence"....Bryce Gibbs. He has been dubbed that by the Coach, Tim Sheens.
Bryce has only missed 6 tackles in the last 6 weeks, and only a few weeks back had the best defensive record of any forward in the competition.

With his best mate, Liam Fulton , this is the main reason , IMO, that our middle of the ruck defence is so tight.....now if only Mitch Brown can take some tips off the Minister.

Well done Bryce, I am sure you will keep doing all the hard work

This year Bryce is maturing into a first class prop. He is running with power and stepping as well. His cover defence has been invaluable, game after game. The Year of the Bryce. (If only we can get the poor buggar to score another try!)

He has been playing real good. I cannot see him being a massive metre eating prop however he deserves his spot on his defence and work rate alone.

Gibbs has been up around/over the 100mpg all year…..he has been great ....2010 **_The Year of Bryce._...**

Good Call Alad.....Throw in Todd Payten along with Fulton and Gibbo...it shows why defence has been winning us games....

All Hail indeed...

Thats the best nickname to describe a persons role in our team…
The only one that couls rival him would be our man Todd...

Those 2 are like cleaners just mopping up anything the opposition throw up the middle...

Then you have our class backrow clamping in on & around the edges...

I'm loving our defense this year.. All hail the Minister of Defense...

@Geo. said:
Gibbs has been up around/over the 100mpg all year…..he has been great ....2010 **_The Year of Bryce._...**

Good Call Alad.....Throw in Todd Payten along with Fulton and Gibbo...it shows why defence has been winning us games....

All Hail indeed...

Of cause Geo, Todd has been great….and Robbie always consistent as well...The Defence Committee

Wow! - a positive thread about a player! It will probably tap out in a few posts time unlike the weekly 10 pager on why Fitzy is hopeless etc.

Bryce Gibbs has been in fantastic form all year although I wish he'd pull up his shorts a couple of centremetres…

Is it just me or did Liam Fulton spend a lot of time wider of the ruck in defence against the Cowboys? I know he was probably covering the injury to Daniella, but this is to the Tigers detriment in my opinion.

You blokes are kidding me…
The guy is a deadset grub who likes to showcase what coloured budgie smugglers he is wearing each week...
20 weeks have passed and not one person on here has noticed his footwork..

@Paris Cobbs said:
This year Bryce is maturing into a first class prop. He is running with power and stepping as well. His cover defence has been invaluable, game after game. The Year of the Bryce. (If only we can get the poor buggar to score another try!)

Couldn't agree more. He pulled off a magnificent tackle in cover defence on Monday night in the first half. Can't remember who it was on, but Bryce covered ground quickly to snuff out a promising Cowboy attack. In the second half, he really got stuck into them in attack as well.

He's really matured and seems to have eliminated those silly penalties he used to give away. He's improved all round and IMO is leaving Galloway behind a little at the moment - who still seems to be suffering from injury and therefore not playing week in week out.

@prattenpark said:
@Paris Cobbs said:

Couldn't agree more. He pulled off a magnificent tackle in cover defence on Monday night in the first half. Can't remember who it was on, but Bryce covered ground quickly to snuff out a promising Cowboy attack. In the second half, he really got stuck into them in attack as well.

He's really matured and seems to have eliminated those silly penalties he used to give away. He's improved all round and IMO is leaving Galloway behind a little at the moment - who still seems to be suffering from injury and therefore not playing week in week out.

I think it was Willie Tonga he rounded up in the first half. Tonga went off injured soon afterwards.

@Yossarian said:
@prattenpark said:
@Paris Cobbs said:

I think it was Willie Tonga he rounded up in the first half. Tonga went off injured soon afterwards.

Yeah, think it was, right on the 50 metre line

@Yossarian said:
@prattenpark said:
@Paris Cobbs said:

Best part was the way he covered it. For starters, Tonga is fast and steppy, which is dangerous enough 1-1 for a prop. But Gibbs charged across, pointed to his men inside and out to keep them in position, then collared Wille. Snapped him in half actually. But that play was immaculate from him.

Good thing he can defend as he can't do anything else without giving away a penalty. The Penalty King as the rest of us know him.

@Balmain Tiger said:
and thats the trifecta for me.
big things from lawrence ( Tick)
big things from fulton ( Tick)
big things from gibbs ( Tick)

Yeah BT, I thought it was a great call When I first read your sig at the start of the year….let's hope they all stay injury free and keep powering along

@Geo. said:

All Hail indeed...

Add the second half of last year, he & one other were the only Tigers players to consistantly make 100+ m per game.

That other player…..Taniela.

Going great guns

Yep the dumb penalties and half-hearted runs are dissapearing and those important contributions are increasing. He has been easy to critcise in the past but seems to be maturing and this is easily his best year. Gotta love a big boppa that regularly pulls off an importnat cover tackle… keep it up Bryce!

gibbs has really stood up this year. plays big minutes for a prop (came off after 34 on monday night?) and always cleans up in defence. even the penalties have gone away…

He seems to be running at holes with a little footwork,where as before he was just straight up the middle.

And of course the defense has been spot on.

Latest posts

Back