Anzac Day 2023

My late dad lugged a heavy radio set through the mud of New Guinea during some of the worst days of the Second World War at the young age of 23 and came back deeply affected by the kind of experiences nobody should ever have to go through. For years he wouldn't even watch the Anzac Day March. Today I remember him and all those brave men and women who served in the defence of this country in all wars. Lest we forget.

My late dad lugged a heavy radio set through the mud of New Guinea during some of the worst days of the Second World War at the young age of 23 and came back deeply affected by the kind of experiences nobody should ever have to go through. For years he wouldn't even watch the Anzac Day March. Today I remember him and all those brave men and women who served in the defence of this country in all wars. Lest we forget.
You see the son, you see the father.
For you champion @Curaeus and all of us, sons of fathers.

I cant apologise enough.

On a serious note, my uncle was a digger at Gallipoli and my father served in WW2, this date will always be a special day around the Winston household.

Lest we forget1682387168391.png

"Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives... you are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore, rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours... You the mothers who sent their sons from far away countries wipe away your tears. Your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well." Kemal Atatürk 1934- Lieutenant Colonel, Ottoman 19th Infantry Division, Turkish President 1923-1938

My father and two of his brothers served in New Guinea, he was the only one to come home.
He never went to a Anzas day march at all.

Back