Appointment of Scott Fulton to Wests Tigers

For once Lee and his mate did the right thing. If Sheens had been asked he would have rejected the proposal because his mate Ronald was being shafted.

Fulton has runs on the board in the recruitment game and that is one of our major failings.
Maybe the club is not happy with Sheens and all his disappointments from last year Into this year , Noddy under the bus , Spoon , No Moses , No Munster , Still running last , can’t attract any new top liners , some one has just read Sheens achievements last 10 years , McDonald via Sheens , maybe just maybe some one has said enough is enough let’s start fixing this up , Fulton is a good clean addition in a spot that needs a tidy up

First smart thing Pascoe and Lee have done

They couldn’t have told sheens bc he would’ve said no and leaked to media and then it would’ve been impossible for Scott to come and the board to override sheens

Pascoe and Lee know they’re accountable even though they don’t publicly admit it bc that would be suicide

It’s def not ideal having to go around your coach back

But if the only options are get Scott and kinda pee of sheens or not get Scott … then you go with the first kne

Macca is old school and Scott has runs on the board

Plus we’re 1-8!!!!

If we were sitting around the 8 I don’t think they would’ve gone behind his back

It’s a good move and a very tough move to make too

I'm sure Pascoe & Sheens will front a presser this morning to outline the situation and everybody is on board with the appointment.

Yeah that seems to be him now... Good to see not only us produce plodders... Only top tier clubs don't.
But do yiu recall. Him at his best he can be damaging... Maybe a change is what he needs?

I don't Ink, he's on a good wicket and progressively getting more out of shape, and he's fairly close with the other Samoan players at the club. If he's not happy there, I can't imagine anything changing for him anywhere else. If the purported $800K he's being paid isn't enough of an incentive, not sure anything else is going to improve his attitude.

Good move, but such poor optics and way too much detail to be giving to the media from a supporters perspective. Gadget is not stupid and as a lawyer I'm sure his words and actions were chosen very carefully and probably leaked for a purpose.

Reading between the lines I think this is a very clear and public message to Tim about what the board thinks of his "appointment" of McDonald his recruiting performance. There was no need for anyone outside of the organisation to know the back story; however, the club chose to make a very public announcement. Why?

I expect that there is a message in there that says - OK, Tim we gave you what you asked for and he hasn't delivered. You may be the head of the football department but we (the board) are getting the heat over our recruitment failings. We want someone who can deliver and we found him.

I think there will be some sour grapes in Tiger Town but the decision has been made and if it is a professional organisation they will get on with it.

They couldn’t have told sheens bc he would’ve said no and leaked to media and then it would’ve been impossible for Scott to come and the board to override sheens

It sounds like a good move but only time will tell. Sheens comes across as a little shonky though.

McDonnell has his flaws. there's a reason why he's been moved on a couple times and the recent Moses saga is also a major issue. McDonnell's strength has always been the identification of junior talent in the pathways, and the appointment of Fulton effectively plays to McDonnell's strengths and streamlines his role.

besides, the internal and external messaging at the club for sometime has been that we will be going to market less and less and favouring the talent in the catchment areas, so McDonnell will basically be more important going forward than Fulton anyway.

Fulton's a good operator. he turned the north-west into a hunting ground for Manly and unearthed the Fainu brothers, Olakau'atu, Koula, Schuster, Sipley and Weekes. irrespective of their various issues, all of them have talent, that is for sure. that is now our domain. this is a good thing.

the only issue is obviously the lack of consultation. Sheens would've blown a head gasket, but I think Benj needed to be consulted. that said, the power the boys club have had in the past has hurt us immensely. Fulton is an external appointment that keeps them in check. a wise move from the board for the first time in a very long time.

McDonnell has his flaws. there's a reason why he's been moved on a couple times and the recent Moses saga is also a major issue. McDonnell's strength has always been the identification of junior talent in the pathways, and the appointment of Fulton effectively plays to McDonnell's strengths and streamlines his role.

besides, the internal and external messaging at the club for sometime has been that we will be going to market less and less and favouring the talent in the catchment areas, so McDonnell will basically be more important going forward than Fulton anyway.

Fulton's a good operator. he turned the north-west into a hunting ground for Manly and unearthed the Fainu brothers, Olakau'atu, Koula, Schuster, Sipley and Weekes. irrespective of their various issues, all of them have talent, that is for sure. that is now our domain. this is a good thing.

the only issue is obviously the lack of consultation. Sheens would've blown a head gasket, but I think Benj needed to be consulted. that said, the power the boys club have had in the past has hurt us immensely. Fulton is an external appointment that keeps them in check. a wise move from the board for the first time in a very long time.

Maybe the Board needed an objective outside perspective at NRL level to counter the yes men piling up there?

Hartigan is a myth.

Your legacy in roles like that are the players you left the club with in first grade.

Where is his legacy? Bunch of juniors that did not make it and a bunch of first graders that had past it years ago... was really useless for our club.

The way they've gone about scot was disrespectful to Sheens. Maybe, like the players they go after, they thought that would not get him and Fulton would go to another club then we're caught off gard he actually came to our club.
Hartigan's legacy is Blore, Utoikamanu, Laurie, Simpkins, Simpkin, Pole and the Saukuru's. that's what he needs to be judged on.

there's a number of players he recruited that have moved on elsewhere but none of them have come back to bite us on the bum. I think the systems he put in place with Scott Woodward were smart, but his communication and negotiation skills killed us many, many times.

Fulton was clearly headhunted. make no mistake. despite the fact that Sheens or Benji weren't consulted beforehand, I think it was a wise appointment from a usually unwise administration.

I have no problem with Fulton appointment.

Have very little confidence in current recruitment approach. If Sheens had 5 or 6 wi s on the board and our spine not in such critical position ….. then and only then would I say that he should have been involved in negotiations.

But lefts face it our recruitment particularly in the critical spine positions has been abysmal.

Also I just have a feeling that Benji would not be too displeased with this outcome.

Find it interesting that we are coming last haven’t had a competitive roster for ages & we sign someone who has a history at a club that has been competitive and basically keeping any player they want whilst recruiting quality outside the club.

Ronald McDonald needed some help, hope Fulton becomes the hamburgular and grabs some quality players from Manly across.
Gees I'd laugh :p😁😂 if We pinched a few good players from Manly, remembering how they plundered the Magpies in the 80's.

And I've been the boss - You're right....
The Boss is ultimately responsible when the consumer isn't happy with what they're getting....
The Boss is certainly the one people hold responsible, And whinge at when they're not getting what they want.
Pretty much like you constantly do...

That doesn't ultimately mean that me (As the boss) had any direct contribution to the problem whatever consumer might be having - Or any effect on what it is they don't like.

As the Boss,
I employ what I consider to be the right Staff for the job from the people that actually want the job,
Give them the right environment, systems, supervision and training to complete the job satisfactorily on a consistent basis.
Unfortunately, As the Boss - What I strive every minute of the day to provide.... Isn't always what's delivered.
If that’s the case then, as a boss, you have failed by selecting the wrong people into positions and should pay the price.

If that’s the case then, as a boss, you have failed by selecting the wrong people into positions and should pay the price.

Reckoned you'd pipe in with something dumb to say...

The right people don't always do the right things - or make the right choices.
They call it human nature or some such...

Everyone fails sometimes, Failing sometimes doesn't mean anyone has failed entirely...
Shit happens.

I have seen it happen in high performing teams if a key talent becomes available within corporates for a function that needs an uplift. As a senior leader you need to be decisive and make quick decisions at times especially when it comes to personnel & an area that hasn’t delivered. Not everyone needs to be involved until after decisions are made.

One hand Pascoe and Lee cop it for not taking enough accountability (rightfully so) and when they do step up and lead they still cop it.

Sheens has his hands full coaching the team out of our biggest slump whilst training up Benji & Robbie. Who really thinks Sheens has enough time to also oversee scouting/recruitment/negotiations as well?
The problem I have is..last week Lee is telling everyone that him and JP have nothing to do with the Football department and only provide the $ for support. This week he and JP make one of the most crucial appointments in the football department and don't involve the head coach or the future head coach

I wonder if Warren will be moved on at the end of 2024 when Sheens goes?

Back