Are you Confident?

Newy_Tiger

After the last couple of weeks our team has grinded out some pretty close victories and it is now likely that we will make the finals for the first time in 5 years.My question to you is at this stage in the competition are you confident in our side being able to win the big games come finals time?
IMO lately im still not convinced yes we have been winning lately which is great! :smiley: however not convincingly and i think come finals time we may not be able to get out of jail so easily especially agasinst the top teams.
Your Thoughts?

We can defend as well as anyone bar St George so yes defence will win us matches more than our attack some September. Our attack is due to click back into gear once we return to a more stuctured line up allowing Benji to play 5/8, Lui at half and Lawrence back in the centres.

Yeah, I kinda hope this team, once it reaches 30 points and finals time is well and truly on the cards for us, shifts to another gear with Lui back in the side. I have belief in the side and I think every Tigers fan would agree that, on current form, we wouldn't be a threat but there is certainly much room for improvement at the right end of the season.

All remaining games are as equally important:

Seaeagles (away) - At Gosford. Against a finals contender who will likely be there in Sept.
Sharks (Home) - New coach and a new attitude but we must keep our impressive record against the Sharkies in tact.
Rabbitohs (Away) - Huge game which will be earmarked as the REVENGE game by the media. Rabbitohs are also finals bound so we must lift for this one. We can't let the Rabbits forwards run rampant this time.
Panthers (Home) - A Top 4 playoff? Could well be. Huge game.
Eels (Away) - Where will the Eels be come Round 24? Everyone is expecting the "Hayne Train" to be well in motion by this stage. Tigers MUST reverse the result from the corresponding game last season.
Storm (Home) - Melbourne will be looking to finish a disappointing season on a high. Danger game. I sense the Storm will have lost a few before this and could be due a win. Talent like that doesn't stay down for long.
Titans (Away) - I'm hoping the Titans have well and truly fallen away come Round 26, or else this could be a massive clash. I'm sensing the Titans will be playing for playoff survival here.

@Newy Tiger said:
After the last couple of weeks our team has grinded out some pretty close victories and it is now likely that we will make the finals for the first time in 5 years.My question to you is at this stage in the competition are you confident in our side being able to win the big games come finals time?
IMO lately im still not convinced yes we have been winning lately which is great! :smiley: however not convincingly and i think come finals time we may not be able to get out of jail so easily especially agasinst the top teams.
Your Thoughts?

Like yourself Newy I am not at all of the belief that we can get past the 2 top teams, especially if we retain Benji as our chief goal kicker. Sure our defence has improved somewhat this season, and we have some great players on our roster, so we should get there….. lets see what happens out at Campbellton when we play the Panthers, then we will all be in a better position to comment! :pray:

I'm not worried. We have 2-3 more weeks before we need to find some positive momentum. Round 22-26 are the rounds that count in this regard.

I'm actually comfortable that it's not the 'miracle', 'magic' or 'wow' that is allowing us to win games. I can wait till layer…

We are a real threat and teams below and equal with us won't want to be playing the Tigers in week of the Finals...

I'm having a ball….3rd place and we are playing terrible mostly. We still have Ellis, B.Ryan and Lui to come back. Just think how we will go when we start playing with structure and flair!!

C'mon you Tigers!!!!

no im not worried, the guys have proved they can grind out a defensive win and last nights game showed that we haven't lost the ability to come from behind and amp up the attacking flair. Next weeks match will be a good indicator. The goal kicking is a worry because i thought marshall was back in better form so i hope he works on it this week. looking forward to having beau ryan and lui back too. ellis and fulton should both be in the team aswell which should be awesome.

No, I'm not confident.

We are in an excellent position now, the best in Wests Tigers history at this point in the season, so I'm not slashing my wrists or anything, but we really need to step up a gear (or several) in the remaining rounds if we are going to go all the way to October.

Remember the form the team was in at the end of 2005? That's what we need to find, and I haven't seen anything like it yet.

I think 2 factors will determine our fate. Injuries, but more importantly our goalkicking. I'm not having a shot at Benji, but either he or someone else needs to step up and start kicking at vey least 80% for us to survive. You can't win without a decent kicker…........(insert bulldogs here). If the value of a kicker was ever to be measured, check the bulldogs this year vs last year.

@Juro said:
Remember the form the team was in at the end of 2005? That's what we need to find, and I haven't seen anything like it yet.

Yes and No mate….we definetly are not in 05 form at the moment however we are in a different, new type of form. We are winning games with mental and physical toughness, more relaxed and mature decisions on the field and pretty stoic defense...although we were hopeless at the beginning of last nights game, we won the second half 22-0.

You must remember that Ellis, Fiffita, Moors, Lui and Ryan didnt play last night....

If everyone goes back to their correct positions we have a heap of improvement in us...we are coming third and will only get better!!!

With our hard run home I expect the boys to hit the finals battle hardened, ready to rumble as they would have been playing finals type footy for a while.

Injuries, conditions and more importantly, team selections will determine how confident i am! Take this week for instance, one of the biggest forward packs in the game in Manly, if Sheens decides on the same small bench this week as per Cowboys, its going to be Tigers on the back foot all night because we wont be able to make the metres down the field. I believe we can win more than 5 games Storm, Parra and Manly i think are the real danger games,… along with the Bunnies who blew us away. I think if we can win at least 2 or 3 of them it puts us as a real competition threat

I like the way we've got here - during it i was less than impressed during some games, but we got through the middle with an 88% winning ration. Anybody really upset with that?

Now comes the run home, we have built an impressive winning record on defence and our attack is just waiting to come out and play. It could turn out to be a masterstroke.

Who's with me?

depends on lui in my opinion.
if he can be fit for the last month of the season and fine tune his game within the team i will be very confident about our chances.
if he struggles with injury for the rest of the season it will be a real uphill battle.
i think it would be remarkable to win a premiership with your third choice halves combo.

@Icon said:
I like the way we've got here - during it i was less than impressed during some games, but we got through the middle with an 88% winning ration. Anybody really upset with that?

Now comes the run home, we have built an impressive winning record on defence and our attack is just waiting to come out and play. It could turn out to be a masterstroke.

Who's with me?

Agreed… :sign:

I'm not even confident of making the finals yet. One step at a time, just hoping for two more wins

I'll take whatever comes to be honest. I think this squad is nowhere near it's potential yet but at least we're finally gaining some momentum and heading in the right direction. I think we're definitely a good shot at winning finals game because of our ability to attack and more recently defend. How far we go, who knows? I'll just enjoy the ride.

It can all change in a second, a few bad calls or maybe a key injury but really you would have to be confident this team can match it with all the teams. The dragons were quoted as saying the Tigers game was the hardest their encountered all year so I think we are going a bit better than we give them credit. The key will be Lui and how he stands up to the grind, we should get a much better idea come Sunday

Given the fact that we've been winning despite the injuries that have disrupted the team this year I think we're a real chance. The basis of any good side is the 1,6,7, & 9\. All of these positions have been hugely disrupted by injury this year. Hopefully once Lui is back we can get a bit of stability back. We also have Beau and Ellis to come back and they'll have a big impact too. The lack of a consistent goal kicker is a worry and I hope we don't lose any games by 1 or 2 points.

Whilst the memories of '05 are still vivid with all Tiger supporters, it's a different game today and we're now playing the type of hard, grafting footy which wins matches.

i keep whether im confident or not inside…i try not to show my feelings towards next weeks games...everytime i get confident we lose..when i dont make a peep about how i feel we go well...ill just continue not picking the tiges....hvnt lost a game since i stopped picking them :stuck_out_tongue:

Latest posts

Members online

Back