Attention Forum Members

G

Attention forum members, this thread has arisen as a result of the existing Luke Brooks thread. On Monday 25 October 2021, a post was made containing a link to Luke Brooks highlights (not Youtube). A number of forum members have clicked on this link - exactly how many, I am unable to determine. Suffice to say it is a point of concern the moderation team wish to address.

One member who clicked on this link shortly afterwards became the victim of attempted credit card fraud, most likely as a result of malware infecting their computer, compromising their personal identity information. Whilst the ultimate perpetrators were unsuccessful, each financial institution implements different fraud detection systems.

I would advise anyone who clicked this link, to please check that their internet banking is secure - please use a different device from the one you used to access the link in the event that device is compromised - I would suggest running an AV program over the device and consider resetting your IB password even if one cent is missing, then that's cause for concern as it means you are compromised.

The post in question has since been removed and this is a reminder for people to be vigilant when accessing links as malware and ransomware are the number one cause of cybercrime in Australia and around the world at present.

If anyone has been the victim of fraud in relation to this, please contact one of the moderators.

@willow said in [Attention Forum Members](/post/1498937) said:
Attention forum members, this thread has arisen as a result of the existing Luke Brooks thread. On Monday 25 October 2021, a post was made containing a link to Luke Brooks highlights (not Youtube). A number of forum members have clicked on this link - exactly how many, I am unable to determine. Suffice to say it is a point of concern the moderation team wish to address.

One member who clicked on this link shortly afterwards became the victim of attempted credit card fraud, most likely as a result of malware infecting their computer, compromising their personal identity information. Whilst the ultimate perpetrators were unsuccessful, each financial institution implements different fraud detection systems.

I would advise anyone who clicked this link, to please check that their internet banking is secure - please use a different device from the one you used to access the link in the event that device is compromised - I would suggest running an AV program over the device and consider resetting your IB password even if one cent is missing, then that's cause for concern as it means you are compromised.

The post in question has since been removed and this is a reminder for people to be vigilant when accessing links as malware and ransomware are the number one cause of cybercrime in Australia and around the world at present.

If anyone has been the victim of fraud in relation to this, please contact one of the moderators.

That's a worry, good on you Willow for being straight on top of it. A timely reminder of how common this is these days and to always be sceptical of links and attachments even on somewhere like here.

The post was also up for a period of roughly 2 days before we became aware of the problem and removed the post and any subsequent posts quoting said post..

The poster of the link has been informed..

Wow.

The poster of the link has been informed, well, I don't want to know names (or user ids) but I would like to know have they been dealt with.

If it was a poster who was new then surely it was more likely to have been a deliberate attempt at stealing people's money, and they really should be banned for life.

If it was a poster who has been around a while, and has a history of posting normal non threatening posts, then I can understand it may been a unknowing mistake.

But I'd definitely like more info please.

@jd-tiger said in [Attention Forum Members](/post/1498981) said:
And maybe we don't allow links to be added to a post at all.

Long term poster who may not have known himself..

Posting of links for media articles as an example or aknowledgemrnt of writer or source have always been a requirement with copyright..

Yes thanks willow for informing, much appreciated

If anyone doesnt know

I posted a link to a video i uploaded to a website called nulls...which is a website ive used for a while now which is basically the same as imgur but you can upload videos onto it as well.

The video in question was just a video of brooks i edited and posted in the luke brooks thread.

Im not sure what really happened but as a result of people clicking on my link some members have receuved notification saying that there persoanl bank accounts.

Willow informed me of this and i am very embarrassed and sorry to whoever it may have affected

My apologies

@geo said in [Attention Forum Members](/post/1498983) said:
@jd-tiger said in [Attention Forum Members](/post/1498981) said:
And maybe we don't allow links to be added to a post at all.

Long term poster who may not have known himself..

Posting of links for media articles as an example or aknowledgemrnt of writer or source have always been a requirement with copyright..

Thanks Geo.

A tough situation to be in. I'm not sure of the answer then, but select any link on the internet at any time at your own risk.

@jd-tiger said in [Attention Forum Members](/post/1498979) said:
Wow.

The poster of the link has been informed, well, I don't want to know names (or user ids) but I would like to know have they been dealt with.

If it was a poster who was new then surely it was more likely to have been a deliberate attempt at stealing people's money, and they really should be banned for life.

If it was a poster who has been around a while, and has a history of posting normal non threatening posts, then I can understand it may been a unknowing mistake.

It was a long term poster with a good posting history, seems to be a mistake.

Any chance the impacted user / users were able to identify what Malware was installed?

@wicked_j said in [Attention Forum Members](/post/1498989) said:
Any chance the impacted user / users were able to identify what Malware was installed?

I'm not 100% sure sorry. My original post contains some suggestions and certainly if anyone has noticed unauthorised access to their internet banking, please let me know, but that's the point where the matter really needs to be escalated.

I've asked Kul to consider running a security check over the forum but not sure whether that has occurred.

@cochise said in [Attention Forum Members](/post/1498986) said:
Wow.

Has he informed you where the link came from?

@innsaneink said in [Attention Forum Members](/post/1499198) said:
Wow.

He explained it this thread, I think his openness shows it was probably a mistake.

@thedaboss said in [Attention Forum Members](/post/1498984) said:
Yes thanks willow for informing, much appreciated

If anyone doesnt know

I posted a link to a video i uploaded to a website called nulls...which is a website ive used for a while now which is basically the same as imgur but you can upload videos onto it as well.

The video in question was just a video of brooks i edited and posted in the luke brooks thread.

Im not sure what really happened but as a result of people clicking on my link some members have receuved notification saying that there persoanl bank accounts.

Willow informed me of this and i am very embarrassed and sorry to whoever it may have affected

My apologies

Good on ya Boss for owning it ...classy mate

In General Please be careful when posting or clicking on links.

This is the most common way to deliver a malicious software.

This includes Websites, Email, Apps Like WhatsApp and even SMS.

@cochise said in [Attention Forum Members](/post/1499210) said:
@innsaneink said in [Attention Forum Members](/post/1499198) said:
Wow.

He explained it this thread, I think his openness shows it was probably a mistake.

Ok yeh didn't see daboss'post above

Back