Ayshford to lock?

hadds75

Am i the only one who thinks this would be a bit ridiculous? I just dont see this guy as physically big enough, a strong enough defender or having enough mongrel to play in the forwards. Its different when ur outwide and you run one on one with someone, but can anyone honestly say this guys good enough to run at 3 or 4 forwards taking a hitup? He will get abolished. And If anyones suggesting a ball playing forward then I dont see that as an option considering we are a side already who plays with 4 ball players in 1, 6,7 and 9.

The other thing about our forward pack, is it is weak. It will be weaker next year too with the probably losses of Payne, Galea, Halatau and Skandallis. While some of those guys werent great, you cant just lose 4 forwards and not replace them.

Our current pack and next years pack has little impact, none of our backrowers are dynamic like other clubs (Ellis is in defence but not attack)…. Galloway is the only good metres eater while Ellis and Skandallis are decent. The problem is when Galloway goes off we never have any real metres in us. So why would we want to throw in another guy like Ayshford I feel, who is just another forward with no metres in him? .

Just my thoughts

I hope not.

I think it could be

11\. Ellis
12\. Heino
13\. Flannagan

Ayshford will be a way better centre once he gets an off season under his belt to bulk up a bit.

Ayshford didn't really spend any time in the gym last pre-season due to a wrist injury, so no weights on his upper body was the result. He's quite tall and will definitely throw on a few kilos in this off-season coming up. I don't know whether we'll see him at lock next year though. I'd be putting him through a lot of sprint work with a view to keeping him in the centres with Lawrence. If he puts on another 4-5kg he'll be a lot stronger and with some sprint work he could be a bit quicker off the mark etc.

My money is on Flanagan getting the 13 jersey, although he needs to bulk up too from all reports.

hmmm i thought we were bringing back liam fulton. wouldnt liam play lock or do you think sheens will start him on the interchange???

id prefer see ellis moved to lock and tuaki to the back row… he would give us that go forward we so often need comig out of our own end.... (dont throw stas at me re: tuaki on the wing, i dont care)..

ayshford has shown he's a pretty good player in the centres.. i'd keep him there for atleast another season...

@alien said:
hmmm i thought we were bringing back liam fulton. wouldnt liam play lock or do you think sheens will start him on the interchange???

I'd have him playing for Wests.

@willow said:
@alien said:

Why willow???

He is a good lock forward if used the right way.

Given the way the game is played these days, I don't think there is room for Fulton in the top 17\. He's not big enough to do the hard yards up the middle and his game hasn't improved for some time.

@willow said:
Ayshford didn't really spend any time in the gym last pre-season due to a wrist injury, so no weights on his upper body was the result. He's quite tall and will definitely throw on a few kilos in this off-season coming up. I don't know whether we'll see him at lock next year though. I'd be putting him through a lot of sprint work with a view to keeping him in the centres with Lawrence. If he puts on another 4-5kg he'll be a lot stronger and with some sprint work he could be a bit quicker off the mark etc.

My money is on Flanagan getting the 13 jersey, although he needs to bulk up too from all reports.

Thats exactly what should happen with Ayshford but we know it wont.

@alien said:
@willow said:
@alien said:

Why willow???

He is a good lock forward if used the right way.

Given the way the game is played these days, I don't think there is room for Fulton in the top 17\. He's not big enough to do the hard yards up the middle and his game hasn't improved for some time.

Sorry Alien, I think I may have edited this post by mistake. The last sentence was supposed to be on it's own.

Yep….....He was great tonight v the Scumdogs....Don't think he's played wing before last week....Reckon he'd make a good 6 but that won't happen so Centres please....

@willow said:
Sorry Alien, I think I may have edited this post by mistake. The last sentence was supposed to be on it's own.

No worries.

I knew I didn't write that.

Most great teams have a BIG center. A tall guy with pace and a bit of power.

Ayshford game be that guy. LEAVE him in the centers. He and Lawrence could be the best combo in the game soon enough.

Lock? No, no, no, no, no!

Ayshford's gotta stay in the centres, at least til he matures a bit.

While he's still young and has some pace and agility then leave him in the centres.

This team has so much confusion around their positions. A lock is either an extra ball player, like Fittler or Anasta, or used as an extra prop up the middle like what we've done this year with Payten, Payne and Heighno. Ayshford is completely opposite to this

Bulk him up a bit …and leave him in the centers with Lawernce this combo could be anything the guy knows how to beat the defence ... Putting him in the forwards in the next couple of seasons would be madness ..but madness is rife at the tigers at the moment.

we would like to see him still in the centres, and in time with Chris Lawrence, these two could be very good centre combo.
we are gonna have to wait and see what suprises the new season brings. :unamused: :brick:

Ayshford needs to stay in the centres for many reasons i think, but imo he needs to stay there so he can easily get in and cover Marshall as he moves into the centers to defend.

Ayshford is a good defender and filled the void in the centres this year as a result of inury to Collis who was starting to find his mo-jo before WWF techniques ruined his season.

Ayshford is too slow and does not have a decent passing game.

He would be devastating on the edges as he has the ability to off-load and poke his head through the line. With the likes of Moltzen, Marshall, Lazarus and anyone else sniffing around, expect a lot of line-break assists from Ayshford in 2010.

In 2009, we had a disproportionate number of tries scored down Lawrence's side as opposed to Ayshford's. There is a reason for this and it needs to be fixed so that the opposition is frightened by attack on both sides of the ruck.

If there is one thing that you cant argue about with Sheens is that he has developed arguably some of the best players and coaches the game has seen.

he had a blinder on the wing, and great games at center
it wouldn't make sense to move him into the forwards

Back