Blake ayshford

tiger_tigers

sorry guys but he struggles as a centre in attack …..i can see why he is being touted as a future back rower .....

I disagree - his defence has been good and he can barge over for a try.

His passing game though needs a lot of work. I'd keep him there for sure.

@tiger tigers said:
sorry guys but he struggles as a centre in attack …..i can see why he is being touted as a future back rower .....

You have got to be kidding! He will be a gun next year!

Passing game and a bit more speed is what he needs to work on imo.

I reckon he's got the potential to be like Lawrence with his hole running.

But as far as struggling in attack, 5 tries in what, 8 or 9 games? Not to bad.

@mikey said:
@tiger tigers said:

You have got to be kidding! He will be a gun next year!

He's either kidding or he's as blind as the best referee. Ayshford should be staying in the centres. Potential to be a Matt Cooper type centre…..and that will be brilliant for the Tigers.

He's strong at the line and defends solidly. What more do you want?

Yep he is going great guns - however more posters are now starting to recognise that his passing is either non existent or not up to scratch.

I am not expecting a young kid to hit first grade and be the complete package; these are just things he needs to work on. And to be honest I think he has looked more dangerous in attack than Lawrence for much of the time he has been in firsts.

@Jazza said:
Passing game and a bit more speed is what he needs to work on imo.

I reckon he's got the potential to be like Lawrence with his hole running.

But as far as struggling in attack, 5 tries in what, 8 or 9 games? Not to bad.

I agree with most of this except the part about hitting a hole like Lawrence. Ayshford is nowhere near as quick and I hope he really works hard on his speed and strength in the off-season. He can develop into a fine centre but is probably a yard short of pace and will still fill out a bit yet. His passing game today was not real good, one went over the sideline and another was almost behind Ryan which made him stop and come in field as a result. He's got talent though and has a knack for poking his head and arms through the line and looks to be an awkward player to tackle one on one.

Still developing.

Ryan is also developing into his role on the wing. The combination in defence works and Ayshford had a big job today as the Sharks ran alot at Luis position which he had to work on. He has a good football brain and makes, on balance, very good decisions.

He has an awkward stride which costs him a bit of pace but also makes his a more difficult proposition to defend.

For now there is work to be done but that side is no longer leaking points since Blake was moved there. The attack will come

just needs to work on his passing game.

is solid in D and is improving in attack

@PYMBLEPETE said:
Yep he is going great guns - however more posters are now starting to recognise that his passing is either non existent or not up to scratch.

I am not expecting a young kid to hit first grade and be the complete package; these are just things he needs to work on. And to be honest I think he has looked more dangerous in attack than Lawrence for much of the time he has been in firsts.

Maybe he's better suited to left centre where he can pass his natural way? I know Lawrence has said he's be comfortable playing right centre so maybe that could be the future. I'd be reluctant to break up Lawrence and TNT though.

Just re-watched the game and think he he is really developing as a centre. Passed the ball, ran the ball, tackled. The one thing I did notice was that his communication with Ryan was not as tight as the other side of the field, but Ryan does move around a lot.
Happy to keep him where he is.

Yer! He is hopeless! Let's give him the boot!
Bring back Collis! Then he can be b*tched about and we can all cry for the return of Ayshford! :unamused:

Ayshford continues to grow in confidence week by week. He has been solid playing in the three-quater position. He has provided more in attack and defence than Collis has for many seasons, however it will be interesting to see who Sheens has groomed for the No.3 next season with Ayshford touted as a backrower. I personally, would like to see the kid continue in the centres, as believe he is adapting and learning his trade as an outside back.

Once he bulks up, he will be a back rower. If not next season, definitely 2011.

Like Moltzen, he's looked of first grade standard pretty well since his debut. I think that's a big big wrap. Remember what Lawrence was like in his debut season - incredibly raw. A lot more raw than Ayshford (though he was admittedly younger). I'm not sure if Ayshford has the qualities to become a superstar centre, but he is very very good. Has a real knack for bagging a try when he's close to the line. Going very very well.

Staff online

Back