Boyd's a goose, but Tigers are the real losers

G

Boyd's a goose, but Tigers are the real losers
Brad Walter | August 21, 2009

COMMENT

If the Wests Tigers miss out on a $100,000 windfall by failing to fill the Sydney Football Stadium for tonight's game against Parramatta, they have no one to blame but themselves.

With the Tigers having won six consecutive matches and the Eels five in a row, the clash of the NRL's two in-form teams should be the game of the year, but sadly it has become the shame of the year.

In fact, it could be argued that St George Illawarra fullback Darius Boyd has done more to promote his team's match against the Broncos than the Tigers.

Boyd might have been forced to wear a pink ''goose of the week'' T-shirt at training yesterday for his petulant 43-second display when interviewed by reporters after Tuesday's session, but at least he gave people something to talk about.

And his one-word answers were more than Benji Marshall or Jarryd Hayne have said in the lead-up to tonight's other big match. Even attempts to get the pair in a photo together proved too hard this week.

Whether that was the decision of the players, their coaches or other club officials, the NRL has been denied a prime opportunity to generate positive publicity in a season dominated by off-field dramas and scandal.

If the players and clubs want more money from television rights and sponsors, they have to do more to promote the game. Rugby league is supposed to be professional but that means more than just training full-time and getting paid to play.

The Tigers, in particular, should have been doing everything possible this week to ensure that tonight's match was a sell-out.

Instead, the media was denied access to their recovery session on Monday, given four players to interview at training on Tuesday, and coach Tim Sheens and captain Robbie Farah yesterday.

Despite the unavailability of Hayne, it could be argued that the Eels have done more to promote tonight's match than the Tigers, and they don't get a cent of the gate receipts regardless of how many people turn up.

Aside from two open training sessions, the Eels have made other players available to interview, and even sent their chief executive Paul Osborne to Sydney Airport on Wednesday morning to present Danny Green with a Parramatta jersey on his return from his world title win in Mississippi.

After the farce with Boyd on Tuesday, the Dragons yesterday made Wendell Sailor available to the media, and he performed his duties without any fuss for the millions of television viewers and newspaper readers that follow the game.

It's just a pity there aren't more like him.

Now that's a Pipedream….filling up the SFS on a rd 24 Friday night clash shown live on Channel Nine......$100,000 windfall was practically impossible to get.

Tigers not doing enough..crap...I have seen Robbie interviewed, Skando on Ch9 Footy show, Sheens on the BSB and Fox Sports interviewed, there has been Tim's brother talking about the metal in his head....this Brad Walter is the one that sounds like the real loser

He's an idiot. With a report like that, his aspirationin life must be to work for the pinnacle of journalism, the Telecrud.

If you don't comply with what the media say,they will try & burn you and disrupt anything you try & do
Your right Alaidinsane we have done more than enough to promote the game.These no bodies can't handle it when they don't get there way, hence the story about the oxygen written like it was some kind of scandal & this dribble by some joker i have never heard of.

SO TO ALL THE MEDIA, WATCH TONIGHT CAUSE ITS GONNA BE A FULL HOUSE
SO STICK THAT UP YA!!! :sign:

Who gives a shit. All the focus has been mostly on Parramatta - just the way we want it.

We've done more than enough for both the media, and our profile over the past few years. Let them have a whinge.

@mikey said:
He's an idiot. With a report like that, his aspirationin life must be to work for the pinnacle of journalism, the Telecrud.

\

@smeghead said:
Was this Telecrap?

SMH

Nope… SMH

I read it this morning on the train and thought the article was a bit of a negative spin on what is going to be a great night

Well Hagnay got shown up for her gutter journalism about our oxygen depletion training so they had to do something I guess

what a load of crap.
is it just me or is the SMH going the way of the tele in terms of intelligent reporting?

@armchair expert said:
what a load of crap.
is it just me or is the SMH going the way of the tele in terms of intelligent reporting?

Just gotta get the right reporters.

Brad Walters and Greg Pritchard are generally idiots. Glenn Jackson and Will Swanton are alot more respectable.

the NRL were the ones that stopped this from being a full house, if it was on a sunday arvo irecon more people would have went..

The Tigers didn't need to promote this game. It would have only of attracted more bandwagon Eels supporters (where the hell do they all come from!)

In the end, the game attracted 35k. A Wests Tigers record for a non finals game, also a record for the biggest crowd in Sydney (for a regular NRL game)

@AJ* said:
The Tigers didn't need to promote this game. It would have only of attracted more bandwagon Eels supporters (where the hell do they all come from!)

In the end, the game attracted 35k. A Wests Tigers record for a non finals game, also a record for the biggest crowd in Sydney (for a regular NRL game)

Ironic that the game attracted 35k on the site of the old Sydney Sprots Ground. (Match of The Round) :sign:

Don't the Wests Tigers get the same amount of money at the SFS if two men and their dog turn up or if its a full house?

Bonuses are built in if they exceed a certain crowd figure I believe….

Even though we lost the 2 pts .....I hear the club did well finacially out of the loss...

Back