Brent Naden #256

I’m not the one brining race into it. Matchball did that in his initial post.

Exactly. The overreaction from the racists is hilarious as well.

They are so emotional and so easily offended when they get told to show some manners. How hard is it to show some respect. Not a lot just a little bit.

A couple of points:-

1. This didn't need to get blown up. The dramatic racists were the drama queens,
2. The really bad racist comments were deleted. The little racist comments are followed by the real racist comments. It shows those guys true colors.

The sooner this crap gets culled from society the better.

Yeah I do and I’m sick of having people say that we go walkabout all the time to be frank mate. I come to the forum to talk footy not put up with racist stereotypes about my people

If one stated such in any reasonable workplace in Australia, an official warning would rightly be coming their way.

But hey, some still reckon that you should just add some cement and drink.

It is National Reconciliation Week (NRW) between May 27 and June 3. The theme this year is "Be Brave. Make Change". Basically the theme is to challenge the unfinished business of reconciliation. It is a good opportunity for all of us to learn about our shared histories, cultures and achievements. More importantly we individually should understand the role we play in achieving reconciliation.

It's a challenge for all of us to be brave in our daily actions and assist our Torres Strait Islander and Aboriginal peoples in closing the gap and to achieve a shared sense of fairness and justice.

I hope WTs is promoting the great history Wests, Balmain and WTs have with its Torres Strait Islander and Aboriginal players. Will there be a jersey WTs will promote? Go it alone if necessary since we do promote our indigenous programme.

It’s a racist term you absolute muppet and it’s offensive. It shouldn’t be used on the forum or in any other area of life.

I’ve seen it used negatively against us and it’s demeaning. It implies we’re naturally flakey or inconsistent or irresponsible when we’re not.

I’m not the one brining race into it. Matchball did that in his initial post.
Yes you are. Stop it.

Exactly. The overreaction from the racists is hilarious as well.

They are so emotional and so easily offended when they get told to show some manners. How hard is it to show some respect. Not a lot just a little bit.

A couple of points:-

1. This didn't need to get blown up. The dramatic racists were the drama queens,
2. The really bad racist comments were deleted. The little racist comments are followed by the real racist comments. It shows those guys true colors.

The sooner this crap gets culled from society the better.
Hey Earl, how many more times can you fit the word racist into your whinge? The over use of that word has diluted its meaning and impact down to almost nothing. Pure racism as that other clown alledged is not present in this thread from what I have seen.

You got smashed, and rightly so on the politics thread for your embarrassing comments. You are now chasing people around every thread trying to get square and it’s pathetic yet hilarious. Keep it up son, you have zero idea what you are talking about.

Hey Earl, how many more times can you fit the word racist into your whinge? The over use of that word has diluted its meaning and impact down to almost nothing. Pure racism as that other clown alledged is not present in this thread from what I have seen.

You got smashed, and rightly so on the politics thread for your embarrassing comments. You are now chasing people around every thread trying to get square and it’s pathetic yet hilarious. Keep it up son, you have zero idea what you are talking about.
Years ago I attended an SOO at the ANZ with my best mate who is of Torres Strait Islander/Indigenous background. He supports QLD. David Peachey was playing for NSW and the QLD supporters behind us were drunk and yelling offensive and racist remarks. I asked them stop which only encouraged them to be more aggressive and even more offensive. My mate was badly offended and wanted to hurt them as we could have done. We were young and both trained Defence members. I encouraged him to walkaway. He has never forgiven me for not taking stronger action. The message I learned is the need for sensitivity for all our Torres Strait Islander and Indigenous peoples. I have never been to an SOO game since.

Stryker, the original word used imo was racial stereotyping. I believe it was unintended but everyone needs to be mindful of the hurt using such words can cause.
It is a handy word that can be applied to anyone regardless of race. I go walkabout all the time. Why has everyone gone mad? It's completely childish to get offended over innocently used words.

Yes I know that, I oftern meet and have a chat to one of the elders, great guy and was a very good football player.

I found this article in the local rag about Jimmy.

STORYTELLER: Kalmadyne Goombridge with photos of his family from their days on the Namoi Reserve. Photo: PHILL MURRAY 070716pjim

STORYTELLER: Kalmadyne Goombridge with photos of his family from their days on the Namoi Reserve. Photo: PHILL MURRAY 070716pjim

WHEN local Aboriginal elder Kalmadyne Goombridge came into this world he was a hair's breadth away from being born in a rowboat on a flooded river at Walgett.
His family lived on the riverbank in a two-bedroom tin humpy on the Namoi Reserve - the place where the Barwon and Namoi rivers meet.

When the river flooded, Kalmadyne’s mum was forced to row to the town of Walgett to give birth to her son.
He was the seventh child of Florence Walford and Richard Beale, gentle-natured people.

Kalmadyne’s dad was one of the stolen generations - haunted by his time at the notorious Kinchela Boys Home near Kempsey.
He was never able to speak about the mistreatment he experienced there.
“I was born in the 1950s, not long after the Dreamtime was destroyed,” Kalmadyne said. “It’s warming to know I lived this long to tell my story.
“My spirit soul is free. My mind is free.”
He said the reserve where he grew up was home, and it was beautiful.
“I didn’t give a lot of thought to the government ways then. The welfare people would come and we would tell mum ‘They won't catch us’,” he chuckled.
And they didn’t. Many, of course, weren’t so lucky.
Kalmadyne said his dad, who was a groom at one of the stations in Walgett, took the family off the reserve in the 1960s when he built a three-bedroom house in town.
His boss put up the security.
“He was only doing what he thought was best for us, but we were quite comfortable and happy living on the reserve,” Kalmadyne said.
“Racism was very strong in Walgett. The term ‘Abo’ was used a lot and if any white people openly befriended the blacks they were labelled Abo lovers.
“There was one old bloke in town who used to chase the little blackfellas with a stock whip. You couldn’t do anything about it.
“Now when I look back at all the good white people who tried to help us, I realise they were very brave.”
Kalmadyne came to Bathurst to play football and work.
His first job was with a local plumber. Over the years he took jobs digging ditches, as a wool porter, at the golf course, labouring on council, as a truck driver and as a warehouse manager.
Kalmadyne, who was known as Jimmy Beale in those days, coached junior rugby league players for 16 years. He also coached a couple of basketball teams and was involved in cricket.
“You’ve got to be happy with whatever hand the creator deals you,” he said.
“I think this stood me in good stead for what I am doing today because I am a good communicator.
“I tell stories and write poems about my culture. That fulfils me. I am so contented.”
Kalmadyne is a member of the Bathurst Wiradyuri and Aboriginal Community Elders group which has been engaging with Bathurst Regional Council.
“Our songlines have been broken, but with this elders group we’ve jumped back on,” he said.
Kalmadyne said the elders group is promoting Aboriginal culture in schools and at CSU – the first time an elders group has engaged with the university.
Group members are teaching young Aboriginal people to be proud of their culture.
“The spirits have tested me every step of the way. Being a fair-skinned Aboriginal is a scar I have had to carry,” Kalmadyne said.
“This life is our university. I am still learning and loving it.

“I am proud to be Wiradyuri. It's sacred to me. I am proud to be an Australian Aboriginal who grew up on the Namoi Reserve.
“White and black, we are all one mob.”
Good story and lesson for all black white & everyone inbetween

Years ago I attended an SOO at the ANZ with my best mate who is of Torres Strait Islander/Indigenous background. He supports QLD. David Peachey was playing for NSW and the QLD supporters behind us were drunk and yelling offensive and racist remarks. I asked them stop which only encouraged them to be more aggressive and even more offensive. My mate was badly offended and wanted to hurt them as we could have done. We were young and both trained Defence members. I encouraged him to walkaway. He has never forgiven me for not taking stronger action. The message I learned is the need for sensitivity for all our Torres Strait Islander and Indigenous peoples. I have never been to an SOO game since.
That is an example of pure racism and I would have joined you in bashing those guys. They are scum.
Having said that, living in communities like I do, that sort of abuse 100% goes both ways. People can be shit.

It is a handy word that can be applied to anyone regardless of race. I go walkabout all the time. Why has everyone gone mad? It's completely childish to get offended over innocently used words.
When I was in my teens/early 20’s I lost a couple of jobs for exactly that. I was a real bugger for it on the grog. I wouldn’t purposefully ditch people, I’d just wander off.

That is an example of pure racism and I would have joined you in bashing those guys. They are scum.
Having said that, living in communities like I do, that sort of abuse 100% goes both ways. People can be shit.
And of course having a run-in with a racist yobbo is not grounds to go silly years later over someone innocently using the word walkabout, totally unrelated and not comparable.

And of course having a run-in with a racist yobbo is not grounds to go silly years later over someone innocently using the word walkabout, totally unrelated and not comparable.
Context is very important.

The 'Walk-about' is perhaps, in its ultimate results, one of the most important institutions in vogue among the aboriginals, and yet one on account of which their white brethren will, as often as not, hold them up to ridicule and contempt. To the settlers it is considered in the light of an excuse for a holiday or for shirking the work upon which the blacks would otherwise be employed.
— Walter E. Roth, Ethnological Studies Among the North-west-central Queensland Aborigines, 1897

Context is very important.

The 'Walk-about' is perhaps, in its ultimate results, one of the most important institutions in vogue among the aboriginals, and yet one on account of which their white brethren will, as often as not, hold them up to ridicule and contempt. To the settlers it is considered in the light of an excuse for a holiday or for shirking the work upon which the blacks would otherwise be employed.
— Walter E. Roth, Ethnological Studies Among the North-west-central Queensland Aborigines, 1897

I honestly don't care if it was used offensively in 1897. It is not currently 1897. Countless terms were offensive historically that aren't anymore. Do you get all up in arms over the word 'bugger' because it was historically homophobic?
A poor koori player can't sign with us and be judged on his talents without people going crazy over this sort of stuff. It is childish and ridiculous.

Years ago I attended an SOO at the ANZ with my best mate who is of Torres Strait Islander/Indigenous background. He supports QLD. David Peachey was playing for NSW and the QLD supporters behind us were drunk and yelling offensive and racist remarks. I asked them stop which only encouraged them to be more aggressive and even more offensive. My mate was badly offended and wanted to hurt them as we could have done. We were young and both trained Defence members.
Even worse aboriginals were not allowed into the defense forces in their own country not so long ago.
I encouraged him to walkaway. He has never forgiven me for not taking stronger action. The message I learned is the need for sensitivity for all our Torres Strait Islander and Indigenous peoples. I have never been to an SOO game since.
Aboriginal people have made an outsized contribution to RL and really are naturally gifted . They also seem to have better longevity and a lower injury rate in the game.

Guys like Beetson, Corowa, Lyons, Shearer, Tallis etc. Tend to be loyal as well, so I don't think anyone thinks low of them in a genuine sense.

As for Peachey senior recall in 97 or so he disappeared on contract which was a really weird thing and doesn't happen often.

Last edited:
Back