BRET Side To Face Wentworthville

system

New member
Joined
Jan 8, 2019
Messages
11,941
NSW State Cup Round 21 Team
Aug 26, 2009
\
\
Balmain Ryde Eastwood Coach Paul Fletcher has announced his squad to take on Wentworthville.
The game is scheduled for Leichhardt Oval on Saturday 29th August.

Kick off is at 5.00pm.
\
\
\
The game is apart of a massive weekend of Rugby League at Leichhardt Oval. We have our Junior Grand Finals and the Bundy Cup Grand Final qualifier.

1\. Sean Meaney
2\. Billy Callaway
3\. Lee Bennett ©
4\. Brett Lane
5\. Mat Parata

6\. Gavin Cowan
7\. Josh Lewis

8\. Alan Schirnack
9\. Ryan Carr
10.David Gower
11.Dean Webster
12.Willie Mataka
13.Jared Farlow

14.Eloni Vunakece
15.Fletcher Hawkins
16.Matthew Ryan
17.Steve Moses
18.Junior Rogica
19\. Liam Roach

Coach: Paul Fletcher

PLAYERS OUT

Matthew Davidson
Baden Hall - Wrist
Luke McInnes - Shoulder season
Franco Kmet - ankle - season
Rhys Hanbury - NRL
Peni Tagive - Shoulder season
 

Aladinsane

New member
Joined
Jul 11, 2009
Messages
2,210
Location
Cabarita
Willie's back from injury, and straight back in the starting lineup…..this should be a cracker of a game at Leichhardt.
Hoping all Tigers fans wanting some live footy action can go and support the lads.

Gower and Farlow must be spitting chips not to make the NRL Wt team with so many injuries in their forwards. What do they have to do to get a start
 
G

Guest

Guest
It's interesting to see Roqica on the bench again for BRET. He's still at high school and eligible to play in the NYC next season again but is this part of a larger plan to toughen him up with a view to using him in FG depending on injuries next season?

Good to see Mataka back. Hope he gets more of a go in FG next season though.
 

alex

New member
Joined
Jul 12, 2009
Messages
3,748
Location
Haberfield
I think Rociqa being in State Cup means theyre looking at him to play first grade next year. It's a good sign.

I'd love to see him on the wing/centre rather than backrow. He and Tui on the wings would be devastating. Again, another reason why the Brown/Daniella signings were a waste of $$$.
 

balmain1

New member
Joined
Jul 20, 2009
Messages
123
Not sure what they have planned for Junior. He is too slow now for the centres and wing. They may be looking at him in the forwards but his defence is poor for the forwards.
 
G

Guest

Guest
@balmain1 said:
Not sure what they have planned for Junior. He is too slow now for the centres and wing. They may be looking at him in the forwards but his defence is poor for the forwards.

His pace must have dropped off something shocking then. I thought he looked pretty sharp down at Shellharbour in the pre-season trial. He's still growing though so if he's bulked up during the year it could have slowed him down I guess.
 

system

New member
Joined
Jan 8, 2019
Messages
11,941
The plan is definatley a shift to the back row.

I think he will start next year in the NYC in the back row and they are trying to give him some experience
 

alex

New member
Joined
Jul 12, 2009
Messages
3,748
Location
Haberfield
So what if we have size and pace in the backs?!

Look at Tuiaki … NRL leading try scorer. Size isnt always a negative in the backs. Having Gallant and Lawrence in the back is the pace with Tui and Roqica the size. And Ayshford, IMO, has the perfect build for a centre.
 

weststigerman

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 14, 2009
Messages
3,303
@alex said:
So what if we have size and pace in the backs?!

Look at Tuiaki … NRL leading try scorer. Size isnt always a negative in the backs. Having Gallant and Lawrence in the back is the pace with Tui and Roqica the size. And Ayshford, IMO, has the perfect build for a centre.

I think the point is he doesn't have enough pace. Tuiaki is big, but he's also very quick, as was Pat Richards. Roqica has some pace, but it takes him 20 metres to wind up. Players like Gibbs and Heighington would be quicker off the mark than Roqica IMO.

If Roqica ever does make it to first grade, it will be in the forwards IMO.
 

alex

New member
Joined
Jul 12, 2009
Messages
3,748
Location
Haberfield
I just dont want Roqica to turn into another Bronson Harrison.

With some help he can develop his acceleration and power over the first 10-20metres.

He reminds me more an Eric Grother Jr than Tuiaki. Got some height on him but a solid frame. Does he have a decent palm on him? He could be devastating outwide.
 

alien

New member
Joined
Jul 10, 2009
Messages
8,966
Is Gower going to stay in the front row now?

Why is Tagive in the Balmain-Ryde injury list. He only played for them when Western Suburbs had the bye.

I thought Mataka might have been in firstgrade this week considering the all injures we have.
 

balmain1

New member
Joined
Jul 20, 2009
Messages
123
@alien said:
Is Gower going to stay in the front row now?

Why is Tagive in the Balmain-Ryde injury list. He only played for them when Western Suburbs had the bye.

I thought Mataka might have been in firstgrade this week considering the all injures we have.

Your guess is as good as mine. We do have a shortage of front rowers though. Why not let him play there he has been playing well in that position. Maybe that is a way of him breaking in to an NRL side??
 

system

New member
Joined
Jan 8, 2019
Messages
11,941
Gower is doing a great job and provides big minutes and a high work-rate. His defence in the guts is also a big help. When Hawkins interchanges on he generally attacks in a traditional 2nd rower slot more ofteen.

Tagive is on the Balmain injured list because Balmain was the last club he played for n State Cup and the transfer window closed before he played another game for Wests.
 

system

New member
Joined
Jan 8, 2019
Messages
11,941
Cracking win by the Tigers ove Wenty 18 - 14\. It ended 3 trys a piece and the boot of Lewis made the diffeence in the end.

A somewhat spiteful encounter all told but played very had by all parties.

With under 10 to go a scuffle broke out, punches were thrown. It had all seemingly settled when Horo ran around the group of players to clothesline Meaney around the skull. He was sent off and Meaney and a Wenty winger sin binned. I would guess Horo's season is over after that regardless of the finals.

Back to the game it was great to watch.

Webster is a revelation in the backow and Gower was the dominant force on the park. Playing out of position he outplayed Latimore, Oake and the entire Wenty pack. He has more than eaned his shot at the NrL squad.

More details a little later
 

Aladinsane

New member
Joined
Jul 11, 2009
Messages
2,210
Location
Cabarita
Thanks for the great report Smeg….sounds like you made the right option to stay in Sydney and watch a team that doesn't let it slip away , like the WT up here in sunny Robina....how Dene gets a run before Gower is a deadset joke.

Lewis should give Benji kicking lessons.At least we will have three other of our teams in their finals to cheer for
 

alien

New member
Joined
Jul 10, 2009
Messages
8,966
@smeghead said:
Cracking win by the Tigers ove Wenty 18 - 14\. It ended 3 trys a piece and the boot of Lewis made the diffeence in the end.

A somewhat spiteful encounter all told but played very had by all parties.

With under 10 to go a scuffle broke out, punches were thrown. It had all seemingly settled when Horo ran around the group of players to clothesline Meaney around the skull. He was sent off and Meaney and a Wenty winger sin binned. I would guess Horo's season is over after that regardless of the finals.

Back to the game it was great to watch.

Webster is a revelation in the backow and Gower was the dominant force on the park. Playing out of position he outplayed Latimore, Oake and the entire Wenty pack. He has more than eaned his shot at the NrL squad.

More details a little later

That's the son of Mark Horo isn't it??? Played for Western Suburbs in the 90's. Hope Wenty are buggered because they play against the real Magpies next.
 

Ric_Sissons

New member
Joined
Jul 21, 2009
Messages
29
Tigers side as per program except Fletcher Hawkins started and Willie Mataka went to the bench.
Despite playing with a very strong wind behind them, Tigers were 14-0 down in the first half. Farlow scored / Lewis converted to make the score 6-14 at half time.
In the second half the Tigers were a revelation. Tries to Callaway and Lane with 2 more conversions to Lewis.
In the last 8 minutes Wenty were playing with 11 and the Tigers with 12.
Final score 18-14 to the Tigers.

Tigers play Newtown at Henson next Saturday 3pm. Jets must win if they are to make the 8.

Big day at Leichhardt with Balmain District Junior League Finals, then State Cup game and finally Bundy Cup Major Final - won by Cabramatta over Bulls (Jamie Small - the wrecking ball himself was man of the match. Grand Final next Saturday at Leichhardt Wenty v Cabra.
 

alien

New member
Joined
Jul 10, 2009
Messages
8,966
@Ric Sissons said:
Big day at Leichhardt with Balmain District Junior League Finals, then State Cup game and finally Bundy Cup Major Final - won by Cabramatta over Bulls (Jamie Small - the wrecking ball himself was man of the match. Grand Final next Saturday at Leichhardt Wenty v Cabra.

which state game? i thought i heard after the wests games today that we'll be playing next week at leichhardt but i always thought that game was going to be at wenty…
 

Vicious

Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2009
Messages
495
Sounds like a good win. If only a few of them, Gower in particular were on the Gold Coast, our first grade side might still be in finals contention !
 
Top