Brian Smith to Roosters

Fittler going is no suprise. The Roosters has had a dog of a year. I'm a bit suprised that they Got Smith. Is'nt he still on contract with the Knights?

@joe's magpies said:
Fittler going is no suprise. The Roosters has had a dog of a year. I'm a bit suprised that they Got Smith. Is'nt he still on contract with the Knights?

Not sure about Smith's contract situation but if I was a Knights fan I would be spewing! He has done wonders with them this season, massive loss for Newcastle.

Good choice. Brian Smith is good at rebuilding teams and will fix the Roosters recruitment. He'll sign the players they need, promote some good youngsters and clean out all the dead weight.

@Danos said:
Good choice. Brian Smith is good at rebuilding teams and will fix the Roosters recruitment. He'll sign the players they need, promote some good youngsters and clean out all the dead weight.

Its an interesting decision on Brian's behalf, they must have thrown a bundle of cash at him I'd imagine, because after rebuilding the Knights into a real force with some great juniors coming through the ranks it seems pretty strange to want to go through the headaches of a struggling club again… Either he loves the challenge or theres a truck-full of coin involved.

That seems to be a bit selfish by Smith. He had an up-and-coming team and a premiership might have been there for the taking in the next few years. The difference is Smith won't have the local junior to promote like he had at the Knights.

Great move by the Roosters if true. Heaps of coin would have been involved to drag Smith away from Newcastle. He has turned a team that couldn't win without Andrew Johns to one who win with the likes of Gidley, Simpson, Mullen and other important players on the sideline. A massive amount of money would have been needed to drag him away from the rewards that could have been waiting. Where Newcastle go from here is anyones call. Smith built a Smith side which is unlike any other coaches.

The Roosters will obviously get a massive clean-out. O'Meley, Fitzgibbon, Mason and Minichiello are real chances of going while the likes of Myles and Anasta may too go.

Good move by the chooks. Fittler is one of the boys, he just doesn't scare people if they mess up off the field. Smith does.

I wonder who the Knights have in mind to replace Smith with? They wouldn't be a bad club to score the head coaching position of at the moment.

@Danos said:

Good choice? Do non Rooster supporters want him fixing the Rosters? I'm more than happy for them to keep the dead weight.

Id be kinda suprised if Smith left the Knights so it comes as a suprise to hear he may walk out on them.He seems to have a good thing going there at Newcastle.

@NJLM78 said:
I wonder who the Knights have in mind to replace Smith with? They wouldn't be a bad club to score the head coaching position of at the moment.

Please be royce simmons, please be royce simmons ,please be royce simmons, please be royce simmons….............................

Knights coach Brian Smith to replace Brad Fittler at Roosters

July 18, 2009 Newcastle coach Brian Smith will quit the NRL club and take over the reins at the troubled Sydney Roosters next season.

Smith will be released from the final year of his contract with the Knights to replace Brad Fittler, whose deal will not be renewed when it expires at the end of the season.

A former Parramatta and St George coach, Smith has transformed the Knights from cellar-dwellers into finals contenders in his three seasons in charge and the Roosters will be hoping he can do the same at the Bondi Junction-based club.

Under Fittler's leadership this season, the Roosters are languishing at the bottom of the ladder with just four wins, just a year after finishing in the top four ahead of a disappointing finals campaign.

“I don't think Newcastle was ever going to be long-term for Brian,” Knights chief executive Steve Burraston told Fox Sports on Saturday night.

“If he had an opportunity to get a pretty substantial position somewhere else for a long period of time, it would be wrong for us to stand in his way I think.

“Brian asked us today if he could have a release so he could take up the position with the Roosters.

“From the chairman's and my point of view, we said we would be recommending to the board on Monday that that be the case, that we do grant him a release.

“In any employment outside of footy, you wouldn't stand in someone's way if they could do something that they wanted to do in their career.”

Burraston said the Roosters had offered Smith a four-year deal, compared to the one season remaining on his Newcastle contract.

“I would suggest without knowing that it's probably substantially more than we're capable of paying as well and he had family reasons around that as well,” Burraston said.

He said the Knights had a number of ideas regarding a possible head coach for next year, including assistants at Newcastle and other clubs.

“We're not short of options, put it that way,” he said.

But he played down talk club great Andrew Johns would be the man.

“I don't think Joey would like a full-time coaching career. He has stated that publicly on many occasions that he's not cut out to be a coach,” Burraston said.

Burraston said he was more than happy to have Smith as head coach for the remainder of the 2009 season.

“He's a very intense coach and he's a very professional coach,” Burraston said.

“Brian will give us everything and he gave me his word on that and said he has got a competition to win here and he firmly believes we will win the competition.”

So do you think Smithy will clean-out the Roosters squad like he did at the Knights? He didn't make many friends at Newcastle in his first season but he did what was needed, he burnt off the dead wood…

Who do you tip he will weed out of the Roosters' roster?

I wouldn't mind guessing that these guys are in danger:
Willie Mason
Braith Anasta
Anthony Minichiello
Jake Friend
Sam Perrett
Setiamata Sa

The culture at the club has to change and Smith has 4 years to turn things around so I won't be surprised if there is a cleanout at the club. Steve Noyce has apparently sent a letter out to members stating that the club will change its off-field behaviour, and I reckon this will surely involve some players being tapped on shoulders.

Sheens is on more than that I believe.

Smith will do the same at the Roosters as he has at the Knights. He'll get rid of the deadwood and rubbish, piss people off, everyone will have a whinge (maybe we'll get another kid writing letters in crayon to the Daily Telegraph) but he'll turn the club around.

He is a great coach and the only thing he hasn't done is win a premiership. Unlike Sheens he doesn't have many friends in the media and in fact has rubbed many of them up the wrong way so there is plenty of people with an agenda who bag him all the time.

Latest posts

Members online

Back