CHANNEL NINE AND NRL DISGRACE - DOUBLE HEADER DELAY

Tiger_Al

New member
Joined
Jul 13, 2009
Messages
354
CHANNEL NINE AND NRL DISGRACE - DOUBLE HEADER DELAY
Wednesday 15 Jul 2009 10:47 +Blog - Have your say on this article
by Matthew O'Neill
\
\
\
\
Channel Nine and the NRL have out done themselves again when all seemed impossible as both Double Header matches on Friday night will be on delayed telecast.

The Broncos and Bulldogs with the support of their opponents South Sydney and Gold Coast will stage a Double Header on Friday night at Suncorp Stadium, which will be the first to be staged in Queensland at NRL level.

The downside to the event is that Channel Nine in their 'wisdom' have decided that both matches will be telecasted on delay and the NRL have supported this decision.

Channel Nine will broadcast the Brisbane v South Sydney clash on air from around 7:45pm after they go through 15 minutes of meaningless introductions and advertisements, which will be just over an hour after the match had kick off.

The Bulldogs and Titans clash is expected to kick-off at 8:30pm, but the television coverage of the game won't start until anywhere between 9:30pm to 10:00pm with at least two hours of the traditional Lords Cricket Test already underway.

Nine will be showing A Current Affair and Two And A Half Men from 6:30pm to 7:30pm and both shows have been frequently whipped in the ratings by Channel Seven's duo of Today Tonight and Home And Away.

The 6:40pm kick off time slot for the first of the Double Header clashes was perfectly suited for Nine going live on air from 6:30pm and provided them with a ratings bonanza as they struggle to compete against Channel Seven and last week the Footy Show's audience left enmasse to follow Australia's fortunes in the Cricket on SBS or Fox Sports.

Channel Nine continually treats the game of Rugby League with discontent and the NRL are even dumber for not standing up to the official broadcaster of the game.

NRL Operations Manager Graham Annesley said, "The double-header is a great promotion for the game. It's going very close to being a sell-out, and if the only downside to that is that both games are on a one-hour delay, I think the positives still far out-weigh the negatives.

"It's a one-off, and it's not hard for people to avoid hearing the scores and watch the games without knowing the results.

"I don't think there were any other starting times for the games that we could have considered. I don't think we could have made it 7.30pm and 9.30pm. I think people would accept that 9.30pm is getting a bit late to start a game."

Annesley's comments about it being hard for people to avoid hearing the scores is an insult with the technology in place now pundits can get the scores before they actually even happen such is the advancement and speed of new forms of media such as mobile phones and the internet.

Annesley should watch the game at a club or pub as there's always one person ready to spill out the scores and spoil the 'live' atmosphere for the other patrons watching the event.

Channel Nine should be showing both matches live and the NRL should be forcing the broadcaster to televise both matches live or off-sell them to another network that will show them live as Nine once again treat the game with total discontent.

When the ratings come out for tonight's Origin and at the end of the season the figures will show that Rugby League is Channel Nine's bread winner in Sydney and Brisbane, but the NRL are too powerless and gutless to take up the challenge.

It's a disgrace that the clash featuring two sides in equal 2nd position won't be televised until well after 9:30pm and more than an hour after it has kicked off into NSW, ACT or Queensland where the Kimmorley v Prince battle shapes up as a ratings bonanza if it was live at 8:30pm as it should be.

David Gallop has to stand up and be a man for once in his life and fight for the people and the great game of Rugby League.

Fans must let the NRL and Channel Nine know of this disgrace through all forms of media and communication.

–------------------------
This I saw on rleague.com.

Channel 9 is an absolute disgrace... the NRL needs to get free of them & sell the rights to the highest bidder yes... but a network who gives a crap about the fans as well...
 

Tigerpete

New member
Joined
Jul 11, 2009
Messages
1,530
Of the 2 major codes, channel 9 has always dogged nrl like a lesser being. once the rights come up again i think it's pretty certain that either 9 will lose the nrl or have to pay significantly more than it does right now. Everyone knows they pay peanuts for it at the moment.
 

Zaibatsu

New member
Joined
Jul 10, 2009
Messages
803
Location
Gold Coast
Channel :::9 have always been a disgrace to the game, the sooner they lose the rights the better.

The one that did it for me was when they showed the Australia v Great Britain test DELAYED by an hour a couple of seasons ago, so they could broadcast Bourke's Backyard…

They are pathetic.
 

Marshall_magic

New member
Joined
Jul 14, 2009
Messages
4,384
David Gallop needs to grow a backbone I think. As long as he lets channel 9 do this sort of thing, they will continue to do so. If he steps in and stops it, they will suddenly realise they can't have it all their own way.
 

westTAHger

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 13, 2009
Messages
5,147
Location
With the Groovy Ghoulies
@Marshall_magic said:
David Gallop needs to grow a backbone I think. As long as he lets channel 9 do this sort of thing, they will continue to do so. If he steps in and stops it, they will suddenly realise they can't have it all their own way.

I agree.
tell them how it will be done.
if they do not like it, then when contract is up for renewal give to anyone other than channnel nine.
give it to SBS, now that would cause a stir.
 

Zaibatsu

New member
Joined
Jul 10, 2009
Messages
803
Location
Gold Coast
I reckon give it back to the ABC, remember their Super Saturday coverage? It was awesome!

Afternoon football on Saturdays… I miss that :frowning:
 

NJLM78

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 13, 2009
Messages
3,530
Too many commercials, bad commentary and too much carry on before games. It is time for a change.
 

Yossarian

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 11, 2009
Messages
11,850
Location
Central Coast
Nine has some negative sides but I think the criticism here is a bit harsh. The NRL know their schedule and chose to go ahead with a new time structure for these games. I really don't think Nine are being unreasonable here.
 

LARDS

Active member
Joined
Jul 12, 2009
Messages
771
Channel 9 and Fox own the game.
Gallop has no power to do anything.
Can you tell your boss what to do?
 

Raptor

New member
Joined
Jul 12, 2009
Messages
257
@LARDS said:
Channel 9 and Fox own the game.
Gallop has no power to do anything.
Can you tell your boss what to do?

That's right the nrl are nothing and can do nothing, hence why the grand final time is still unacceptable to most people by it's good for TV and thats all that matters..
 

IronTiger

New member
Joined
Jul 13, 2009
Messages
963
@Yossarian said:
Nine has some negative sides but I think the criticism here is a bit harsh. The NRL know their schedule and chose to go ahead with a new time structure for these games. I really don't think Nine are being unreasonable here.

"If you you sell your soul to the devil you have to accept what you get"

Sport all over the world is governed by TV rights as this is where the money comes from. Soccer in the UK is in the state it is because of Sky and the NRL here are run by Fox and Nine and they have no power to fight against it as to do so will mean them pulling the plug.
 

Zaibatsu

New member
Joined
Jul 10, 2009
Messages
803
Location
Gold Coast
Decided to attend the double header instead of waiting for the delayed telecast, only the Bulldogs v Titans match though, the Broncos v Souths game interests me about as much as a Denmark v Liechtenstein water polo clash.
 

Jazza

New member
Joined
Jul 10, 2009
Messages
2,044
Location
Glen Alpine
@IronTiger said:
@Yossarian said:
Nine has some negative sides but I think the criticism here is a bit harsh. The NRL know their schedule and chose to go ahead with a new time structure for these games. I really don't think Nine are being unreasonable here.

"If you you sell your soul to the devil you have to accept what you get"

Sport all over the world is governed by TV rights as this is where the money comes from. Soccer in the UK is in the state it is because of Sky and the NRL here are run by Fox and Nine and they have no power to fight against it as to do so will mean them pulling the plug.

Cricket is in a bad state in the UK too because all of England's matches including home games are broadcast on sky and not free to air tv.

The NRL just have to go along with how ch 9 treat the game until the next tv deal is renewed. Rugby League, particularly Origin is what keeps ch 9 afloat in the winter. They wont want to lose Rugby League, especially to ch 7 or ch 10 because that means that those channels will have control over Victoria, SA, and WA with the AFL being broadcast, whilst they will have control of NSW and QLD with the NRL being broadcast, which will leave ch 9 out in the cold and smashed every weekend in the tv ratings.

If say ch 7 and ch 10 make the same deal as what they have with AFL, just picture it, 5 games on free to air tv (with 3 being sold to foxtel), ch 9 will have no chance in the ratings.
 

alien

New member
Joined
Jul 10, 2009
Messages
8,966
so they will show the games on tv at 7.30pm and 9.30pm like they usually do. whats wrong with that??? they wouldnt have the first game at 6.30pm. they are going to give people time to get home from work and maybe make something quick for dinner and grab a drink or 10 and then they will be set.
 

Zaibatsu

New member
Joined
Jul 10, 2009
Messages
803
Location
Gold Coast
@alien said:
so they will show the games on tv at 7.30pm and 9.30pm like they usually do. whats wrong with that??? they wouldnt have the first game at 6.30pm. they are going to give people time to get home from work and maybe make something quick for dinner and grab a drink or 10 and then they will be set.

Considering the kick-off times this would have been the perfect round to have TWO Friday night games broadcasted live.

If they don't want to broadcast live matches then they shouldn't buy the rights! Simple!

FOX should be permitted to show the games live if Channel :::9 aren't going to, they are robbing rugby league fans by buying the rights and then not using them.
 

Yossarian

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 11, 2009
Messages
11,850
Location
Central Coast
@Zaibatsu said:
@alien said:
so they will show the games on tv at 7.30pm and 9.30pm like they usually do. whats wrong with that??? they wouldnt have the first game at 6.30pm. they are going to give people time to get home from work and maybe make something quick for dinner and grab a drink or 10 and then they will be set.

Considering the kick-off times this would have been the perfect round to have TWO Friday night games broadcasted live.

If they don't want to broadcast live matches then they shouldn't buy the rights! Simple!

FOX should be permitted to show the games live if Channel :::9 aren't going to, they are robbing rugby league fans by buying the rights and then not using them.

That would be a reasonable point if they did this every week but they do show the first Friday night game live every other week. You can't really expect Ch 9 to can their regular schedule because the NRL decides to change their time. The fault (if any) really lies with the NRL. But really if you can't avoid finding the score on a Friday night for an hour you're not really trying.
 

Hit_or_Miss

New member
Joined
Jul 11, 2009
Messages
328
Location
Stanhope Gardens
@Yossarian said:
Nine has some negative sides but I think the criticism here is a bit harsh. The NRL know their schedule and chose to go ahead with a new time structure for these games. I really don't think Nine are being unreasonable here.

I agree with you on that. Its not as bad as it looks. But i do see the side where they could have shown both games live as mentioned. I think in the end its 50/50 and im not that fussed.
 

kiwitiger

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 10, 2009
Messages
1,072
Location
Wellington NZ
@Zaibatsu said:
I reckon give it back to the ABC, remember their Super Saturday coverage? It was awesome!

Afternoon football on Saturdays… I miss that :frowning:

The nostalgia that brings back…. Sadly there more chance of me getting a date with Megan Fox than returning to those days
 
Top