Charlie Staines #262

I agree in relation to techinque; however, I'm not sure he will be good under the high ball until he gets some confidence. I expect that all the outside backs have had individual coaching on their in the air/on the ground catching techniques and that is practiced during the week at training. Unfortunately taking the high ball is not just technique. Taking the high ball is about confidence and commitment; technique is just about how to create the bucket and secure the ball.

Confidence is the foundation of the skill set and until he has the confidence he won't fully commit. Toupou is definitely one of those confidence type players. If we get on a roll and string a few wins together he may progress - but until he really commits to the ball he will always be a liability.
Getting your technique correct during off season / training will give you the confidence required on game day. I’d rather have some who is technically correct and lacks confidence than someone who is full of them selves with no technique.

Getting your technique correct during off season / training will give you the confidence required on game day. I’d rather have some who is technically correct and lacks confidence than someone who is full of them selves with no technique.
I'm 100% with you on this. I just find it hard to believe he hasn't been taught the correct technique. This is professional sport - this shit is taught when you are a kid and should be well drilled by the time you hit C grade. I'm not anywhere near close enough to know if they are doing it correctly at training - but if we are picking it up so are the coaching staff. So if, and it is a big if, the technique has been taught it has to be a confidence thing that prevents him from executing it during games. If, on the other hand, he hasn't been taught, WTF are our coaching staff doing for their $?

I mean there isn't much to it - decide on taking it in the air or on the ground, make the appropriate basket depending on if it is overhead, over the shoulder or into the chest, and get on with it!

Last edited:
Back