Charlie Staines #262

Asu Kepaoa's #1 Fan

charlie-staines-re-signs-fb-preview-1200x628px.jpg

Wests Tigers has signed exciting, young Penrith winger, Charlie Staines for the 2023 season and released Tyrone Peachey from the final year of his contract.

Staines will link up with Wests Tigers in early November on a one-year deal.

The 22-year-old burst onto the scene in 2020, scoring four tries on debut. He increased that tally to 23 tries from 38 appearances across three seasons, including a try in the Panthers’ grand final win over the Eels.

Staines became somewhat of a cult figure at the foot of the mountains after crossing for six tries in his first two NRL games, earning the nickname the ‘Forbes Ferrari’.

Staines says he’s looking forward to a new start under coach Tim Sheens.

"I’m sure Wests Tigers will make strong progress in 2023." - Charlie Staines

“The club has a new coaching staff, incredible facilities, some great new signings, and a strong junior nursery, so I’m really excited to be a part this club.”

Sheens says Staines is a player he looks forward to working with.

“Charlie has shown what he is capable of,” said Sheens.

“Like most of our squad, he’s young and still learning.

"I’m confident Charlie will continue his development at our club and it’s great to have him on board." - Tim Sheens

Wests Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe says Staines is a welcome addition.

“We are delighted to have Charlie join the Wests Tigers," said Pascoe.

"He’s a proven speedster, a premiership-winner, and a player with immense talent." - Justin Pascoe

“I would also like to thank Tyrone for his efforts and wish him and his family the best in years to come.”

Peachey will re-join Penrith after making 13 NRL appearances in his first year at Wests Tigers in 2022.

He's a starting winger in our team (and would be paid as such) but we already have Kenny and Noffa who are paid enough to be starting wingers. I wonder if Kenny's knee is still a little suspect so Tigers want to buy someone who fills in the back up fullback option as well as a winger.

Not often you can go wrong buying last year's premiership winner so I think this is a good signing.

Ran into Charlie in Glenbrook the Tuesday after the grand final. My wife had on her Panthers cap and he was kind enough to pose for a photo with her. Mentioned to him the Tigers would go better in 2023 and he seemed to agree. Persoanlly think he has a fair bit of potential. In the flesh he is a bit bigger than some people might think.

There has been talk that Ken might be moved on during the offseason if a suitor can be found. I think this may have originally come from The Pom.
I reckon we now have the impetus to move on Brooks, play a more traditional fullback and keep Laurie happy by playing him in a position more suited to his strengths.

Reactions: 851
Back