Corey payne

Sabre

I have been impressed by him over the last month. Do you think tigers should resign him for next year. Mayby just a 1 year deal.

king_sirro

No.

If we didnt have sooooo much backrow talent in Dwyer, Gower, Akeripa and Mataka i'd say yes, but those young guys are ready and have a lot more potential than Payne.

AndTheKungFoSing

@king sirro said:
No.

If we didnt have sooooo much backrow talent in Dwyer, Gower, Akeripa and Mataka i'd say yes, but those young guys are ready and have a lot more potential than Payne.

For me it isn't the potential… but the price tag! These blokes would cost a fraction of what Payne would want...

I too have been impressed with Payne and i think the reason he is playing better is because he's being asked to play more to his game and not another. Also i think we should look at both Payne or Galea and pick one... I pick Galea...

He'll go well in the ESL though... so i think he'd get good $$$ over there and play well...

Gobbs

In my opinion Payne, Galea, Trimarchi should not be re-signed.

Ellis, Heighnington, Payten, Fulton, Mataka, Dwyer, Laurie, Ayshford, Akeripa, Gower, Rysko, Hyland….It's a dead set backrower-a-thon.

Enough said.

G

@Gobbs said:
In my opinion Payne, Galea, Trimarchi should not be re-signed.

Ellis, Heighnington, Payten, Fulton, Mataka, Dwyer, Laurie, Ayshford, Akeripa, Gower, Rysko, Hyland….It's a dead set backrower-a-thon.

Enough said.

Agree. We have more than enough stocks to cover for Payne, Galea and Trimarchi. All three are tryers but are seriously lacking when it comes to go forward.

Danos

Yeah, he's trying hard, but no thanks. Like Gobbs said, we probably have the best backrow depth in the comp. It's not a department that the Tigers struggle in, lol. I mean, if Rhino or Ellis go down next year at some stage we can always call upon Gower, Mataka, Dwyer, Shirnack, Akeripa etc.

Peaches

Depending on price for me whether he would be re-signed. He has been more valuable than Payten this year and a one-year deal should give further time for the emerging forwards. I think we should be a little more hesitant here in throwing FG contracts to players who are yet to debut in FG. There are many players in the past who just haven't hit their mark in the top grade despite dominating lower grades, and whos to say they are not some of the. A few games in FG first to make sure they are the right players is what is needed. We have to be careful we don't have a line-up that is too in-experienced.

Novocastrian_Tiger

I know Corey is playing decent enough football now, but we had 2 years of his penetrationless attack - not something you want from a player on decent coin.

Most players always play well come contract time, I know it's a cliche, but funny enough it always happens. If we resign him, do we get more of what we got for the last 2 years again?

Peaches

@Novocastrian Tiger said:
I know Corey is playing decent enough football now, but we had 2 years of his penetrationless attack - not something you want from a player on decent coin.

Most players always play well come contract time, I know it's a cliche, but funny enough it always happens. If we resign him, do we get more of what we got for the last 2 years again?

He was primarily used as a battering ram which he is not in the other years. Of late he has shown ball-playing skills, kept the solid defence runs the ball when required and got rid of his penalties. He also has the smarts to get out of the way when in the attacking zone and let his backs do the work, unlike other forwards who become strings in the brass section. I don't believe its a conincidence his move to lock has come with better footy.

jadtiger

He hasnt shown enough in his 2 years with us to deserve resigning,besides i feel we havebetter and probably cheaper options emerging from within our lower grades

citizen_cub

Nah don't re-sign him. He hasn't played well for a season and a half. I hope that the Tigers don't bring Fulton back though. That would be a step in the wrong direction with other good back-rowers coming through.

Latest posts