Daniel Anderson

krissy

Sydney Roosters recruitment boss Daniel Anderson was airlifted to hospital after suffering spinal injuries while on holiday on Friday afternoon.

Anderson is on a ventilator at Royal North Shore Hospital in a critical but stable condition.

It’s believed the former Parramatta Eels and New Zealand Warriors head coach was hurt in a freak accident while body surfing at Soldiers Beach near Norah Head on the Central Coast.

Anderson was dumped on his neck and left unconscious in the surf and suffered a cardiac arrest as a result.

Family members rushed to aid the 55-year-old, as lifeguards performed CPR on Anderson until an ambulance crew arrived and took over treatment.

He was then airlifted to the Royal North Shore Hospital.

The Sydney Roosters confirmed the incident on Saturday evening.

“Daniel Anderson was involved in an accident on December 30,” a Roosters spokesperson said. “He received immediate medical attention and was transported to hospital where he remains under the care of doctors.

“There is no further medical update available at this time.”

Before venturing into the world of junior development and recruitment, Anderson coached the Warriors in 2001, in what was his first gig as a head coach in the NRL.

After guiding the Warriors to a finals series in his rookie year, he then led the New Zealand outfit to the club’ first grand final appearance in 2002 – where they were beaten by the Roosters.

Anderson then moved to England to coach St Helens in the Super League from 2005 to 2008, leading The Saints to three straight grand finals, winning one title in 2006.

He returned to Australia to take charge of the Eels in 2009 after starting his coaching career at the western Sydney powerhouse as an assistant coach under Brian Smith in 2000.

In his first season at the helm, Smith led the Eels to the 2009 grand final, but his side was defeated by the Melbourne Storm. The Storm were later stripped of that title and the 2007 premiership for salary cap breaches.

Anderson was sacked by the Eels in 2010 but returned to the club as general manager in 2013. In 2019, Anderson was appointed as the Roosters recruitment boss, where he oversaw the signings of Storm superstar Brandon Smith.

Hope he’s ok. My favourite beach but can get pretty rough.

Very underrated coach and probably should’ve been a head coach for a lot longer

Feel for him bloody tragic stuff , looked like a decent family man , hard worker by reports and just on holidays with the family , I watched it twice with the wife and we both said that’s just tragic , hope he Gets plenty more movement back with his Re Hab

A terrible outcome for doing something which i am sure we have all done many times in the past.I hope that he gets all the support and assistance from the football community as he can.

Last edited:
Very close to the bone for me... I dived into a river at Sussex inlet when I was 19 and hit my head on a sand bank...fractueed c4 & c5 but thankfully nothing as bad as Anderson... I friend nephew became a quadriplegic 12 months back same thi g in the surf up the goldie.
Hard to imagine those lonely quiet nights he went thru he mentioned... Just such a terrible event 😢

Back