David Nofoaluma #164

Gazman

Storm have the cattle & structures to bring in an average player or two... and then they too, look like competent first graders.

Been that way for years....

Nofo looks like a different player and is looking much improved, not only that - he looks happy.

I didn't hear him alluding to poor culture at the Tigers but I think he should self reflect and realise he is part of that poor culture.

His career with the storm may or MAY NOT be forever so he if he does come back - I hope he comes back with the right attitude and applies his newly gained confidence and skills to his real club, The Tigers.
Well said they are my thoughts exactly

Telltails

I can't think of a better motivation than to play alongside your mates and wanting to make your fans proud.
When AD said he would have loved to go to the Storm had me perplexed, and as Stryker said last night a true club man would have said no, "I'm staying here to help my mates avoid the spoon."
In your day it was all about mates and fans. Man of the Match got a carton of piss to share with his mates. Now it's money first and money second.
The club/ decision makers had already weakened the team by letting players go and not replace them. Can you blame Doueihi for being interested in playing finals footy when the decision makers sack his coach weaken the squad and right off the year? We need players who want success and we need to learn how to recruit and retain them. If he his questioning his future at this club I don't blame him at all - we are whole lot of talk and no substance. And if he moves on he will be another one that we will convince ourselves we dont need.

Bigscreentv

I wonder if any of the other players felt like that at the time? I recall the 2005 team, round 15 against Broncos, going into a huddle and telling each other they were sick of losing and they went on an 8 game winning streak.
I think from an outsiders perspective, and I could be totally wrong? But over the years, and starting with the Sheens dismissal, we have discouraged leadership within the playing group.
I hope I’m wrong, but it looks like a deep seated cultural thing. I’m looking at Doueihi and Hastings, our two leaders with their heart in the right place, to provide a tell tail sign as to wether the club can or has turned the corner in this respect.
It’s definitely a culture issue. Culture and mentality.

The SHADOW

Yeah the abc asked his three times and he said he didn’t want to make a comment as we were going through a “ tough time”

He had to repeat himself.

I was proud of him.
Champion representation, that’s professional when it counts.

• Love
Reactions: TSP

PJ2

There’s a number of different problems at the moment, but if I had to pinpoint ine it’s the culture. They have a losing mentality.

This can be changed, but it’s hard.

Check this out:

This is a great mentality.
Need some Mamba mentality

mikey

I wonder if any of the other players felt like that at the time? I recall the 2005 team, round 15 against Broncos, going into a huddle and telling each other they were sick of losing and they went on an 8 game winning streak.
I think from an outsiders perspective, and I could be totally wrong? But over the years, and starting with the Sheens dismissal, we have discouraged leadership within the playing group.
I hope I’m wrong, but it looks like a deep seated cultural thing. I’m looking at Doueihi and Hastings, our two leaders with their heart in the right place, to provide a tell tail sign as to wether the club can or has turned the corner in this respect.
Didn't Sheens post the Broncos shell-lacking score on the training room door and leave them to decide their futures?

Long Term Fan

I am happy for Noffo to be playing good footy and enjoying himself.

Hope he enjoys the chance to play semi finals footy.

At the Storm everyone knows their role and they all know they are accountable for their performance, two things WT do not appear to have over the years.

If you look at Storms team last night in all honesty how many of the WT side would be selected in Storms top 17. Maybe Joffa and Pell off the bench. No one from WT backline.

Funny years ago WT Forum Member considered Meaney an average. He has looked good in multiple positions and kicks at 72%.

mikey

Yep. Recruitment and development and then competition for spots. It’s upstairs that counts. Melbourne were shopping pappenhsuzen, he continued to try his best and took his opportunity and became an origin player. Noffa is probably 1st picked at tigers. The word entitled comes to mind.
And perhaps that is the problem - because there is no competition there is no need to grow. When they don't grow they get frustrated, blame each other and stop putting in.

Cobarcats

Staff member
Forum Leader
The club/ decision makers had already weakened the team by letting players go and not replace them. Can you blame Doueihi for being interested in playing finals footy when the decision makers sack his coach weaken the squad and right off the year? We need players who want success and we need to learn how to recruit and retain them. If he his questioning his future at this club I don't blame him at all - we are whole lot of talk and no substance. And if he moves on he will be another one that we will convince ourselves we dont need.
I can see both sides of the arguments, both including player mid-season loans as being beneficial and harmful.
It depends a lot on how one gets out of bed.
I think the value of our club is tarnished and it doesn't take much to tarnish it even further.
My dad said that it's easy for metal to rust but it's harder to polish.

Cobarcats

Staff member
Forum Leader
Yeah the abc asked his three times and he said he didn’t want to make a comment as we were going through a “ tough time”

He had to repeat himself.

I was proud of him.

Not even Benji or Tim have had the same composure and empathy in the past.
Yeh that's pretty cool.

• Love
Reactions: TSP

weststigerman

Nofa’s kick return metres are off the charts, and his missed tackles are virtually non existent since he went to Storm.
What are we doing wrong? Or what are we not doing?
Lee Hagipantelis, who has a close personal relationship with Nofa, says Nofa just needs a reason to play. He said that prior to him going to Storm.
If this is the case, what is that reason? What has the club not been giving him?
We know it’s not money, he’s possibly the highest paid winger in the NRL?
Can anyone point to why or how we develop good footy players into average footy players and other clubs do the opposite?
His lack of defence at WT was always due to the ordinary defence inside of him.

He’s still exactly the same player as he was at WT, he’s just at a much more professional organisation it’s as simple as that.

Been saying it for years. Players come here and get worse, and they leave here and get better in general.

IMO it’s to do with the professionalism of the club. We constantly make mistakes off the field and that translates to on the field.

Telltails

I can see both sides of the arguments, both including player mid-season loans as being beneficial and harmful.
It depends a lot on how one gets out of bed.
I think the value of our club is tarnished and it doesn't take much to tarnish it even further.
My dad said that it's easy for metal to rust but it's harder to polish.
Club loyalty has gone since the game became professional, and players have best mates in most clubs. We see it at the end of each game.
A player given the chance to play with Melbourne who had any level of ambition, instead of sticking it out with the fate that our club set up for its players, would have jumped at the chance. Nofa wouldn't be there if our club was in a position to play finals footy- and year in year out they fail to assemble a squad capable.
So do you hang around or move on If your a player that wants more?

jadtiger

His lack of defence at WT was always due to the ordinary defence inside of him.

He’s still exactly the same player as he was at WT, he’s just at a much more professional organisation it’s as simple as that.

Been saying it for years. Players come here and get worse, and they leave here and get better in general.

IMO it’s to do with the professionalism of the club. We constantly make mistakes off the field and that translates to on the field.

Completely agree,Nof does have problems defensively but he has never had a centre alongside of him who can defend especially when the defence generally breaks down on the edge of the ruck.

TurnStyle

Where are the direct quotes from Nofa champ, I have not seen them anywhere??
As u well know I totally agree with the fact about his inside defenders. One being a tired and lazy defender like Luciano who I have stated several times should never have been used as an 80 minute player. Funny how going to the cowgirls Payton has him coming off the bench!!
I read it on the fox sports website. It was an entire article specifically titled with "fell back in love with the game"....

*By the way, is it just me? Or do other people find it incredibly condescending and a feeble attempt to belittle someone by calling them "champ"?

Probably me being over sensitive, but I'm 50 years old, not 8. Anyway, wasn't aimed at me, just saying....

In any case, what a shit thing to say.

Can you imagine being seconded to a client's office and then the newsletter emailed out to both entire companies, and is available to the world to read, has an article on you and you go on about how since coming to the client's office you've "fallen back in love with your job"?!

How would you feel about him when he comes back?

Personally, I'd be pissed and think he would rather be somewhere else. It sure sounds like it.

10 year veteran, leading all time try scorer... I really don't give a fk.

His comments, completely out there for the world to read, show to me he doesn't give a shit about anyone but himself.

Unless he has a damn good case to say he was completely misquoted/taken out of context (which is libellous on fox's part), I hope he does stay at Melbourne (if they even want him).

TSP

I am happy for Noffo to be playing good footy and enjoying himself.

Hope he enjoys the chance to play semi finals footy.

At the Storm everyone knows their role and they all know they are accountable for their performance, two things WT do not appear to have over the years.

If you look at Storms team last night in all honesty how many of the WT side would be selected in Storms top 17. Maybe Joffa and Pell off the bench. No one from WT backline.

Funny years ago WT Forum Member considered Meaney an average. He has looked good in multiple positions and kicks at 72%.
I have a soft spot for factory players who defy the odds like Meaney.

So I say to people, we should look closely at recruiting the off field talent at other clubs.

We could do a lot worse than snapping up Melbourne’s recruiters.

Cobarcats

Staff member
Forum Leader
Completely agree,Nof does have problems defensively but he has never had a centre alongside of him who can defend especially when the defence generally breaks down on the edge of the ruck.
Also we fail to cover, no second line of D.
How many times do you see a swarm of Penrith players smash the opposition winger who's trying to score in the corner or they are bundled into touch.

The SHADOW

It’s Nofoaluma the footballer, not Nofoaluma the Heart surgeon. Give the guy a break, media ain’t his strong point, social media is.