Do a Greenburg and get Pearce

Tommy Magpie

As much as I hate to say it, well done to Todd Greenberg by placing a stake in the ground and announcing to the world that the bulldogs were the natural home for Daniel Mortimer, and that they would welcome him 'home' to the kennel.

Attn: Wests Tigers - how about something similar for Mitchell Pearce. Pearce = Tigers. He belongs with us.

Thought the same thing when I read that, although there is a MASSIVE difference. Daniel Mortimer has stated that he always wanted to play for the Bulldogs and had dreamt of playing for them (wonder what Parra think of all that). From day 1 Pearce has publically stated that he doesnt want to play for the Tigers.

Although his main reason for that was he wanted to make a name for himself away from his fathers shadow and despite the Roosters form you would have to admit that Junior Junior has made his name, having played SOO.

I'd like to see him at the Tigers but cant ever see it.
\
\
Glenn

I said the same thing to my wife :laughing: .

In reality though, it wont happen. And why should it? Mitchell said he didn't want that added pressure of being a Pearce and playing at the Tigers. Fair enough.

Mortimer should make his own mind up on issues like this, and not be swayed by some bloke who thinks that because his Dad and uncles (?) played for the Dogs that he should too.

Interesting story from the telecrap

FORMER Bulldogs bad boys Willie Mason and Reni Maitua have been revealed as the disruptive force that handed over the club's proud Mortimer legacy to arch-rivals Parramatta.

The unthinkable will take place at ANZ Stadium this Saturday, when the newest pup in the Mortimer litter - Eels playmaker Daniel - tackles the team that will always be synonymous with his famous surname.

After winning four premierships in the 1980s with Mortimer brothers Steve, Peter and Chris on board, the Bulldogs were desperate to continue the dynasty once Daniel emerged as a talent two seasons ago.

Given the youngster spent his infancy in the family creche at Belmore Oval and worshipped former Bulldogs five-eighth Braith Anasta as a child, it seemed inevitable the family tradition would continue.

But father Peter had other ideas despite the Bulldogs out-bidding Parramatta for the youngster's services in 2007.

"There were some influences at the Bulldogs that I was not comfortable with sending a 17-year-old to," Mortimer said.

"Guys like Willie Mason and Reni Maitua, they probably weren't setting the best example behaviour-wise for a young footballer.

"Thankfully those influences have now moved on.

"But at the time, my first and only priority was Daniel's development."

Mortimer also revealed Bulldogs coach at the time - his former teammate Steve Folkes - was not the best fit for Daniel.

"Steve was still coaching a 1980s style of football," Mortimer said.

"It was a game plan based heavily on the forwards. The game had moved on, but the club had not.

"Michael Hagan was at Parramatta then and I felt Daniel was better suited to playing under a coach who'd played three different positions in the backline himself."

The final decision was left to Daniel. He made up his mind to accept Parramatta's offer at dinner in the family's Orange home.

"I'm sure he'd have convinced himself he was going to play for the Bulldogs as a child," Mortimer said.

"He would have gone to bed dreaming of being a Bulldog.

"He was a big fan as a child. When I worked for the club until 1992, we used to keep him in the creche at Belmore Oval during games. Peter Moore's family looked after him and the other babies.

"He loved Braith Anasta as a child and was at the game when Canterbury won the 1995 Grand Final.

"I'll never forget the day because we lost him in the hotel afterwards."

Daniel's decision coincided with a period of turbulence at Belmore which followed the exit of his uncle and club legend Steve as CEO during the 2004 Coffs Harbour sex scandal. The incident left the family and club officials virtually estranged, but recent conciliatory gestures from new CEO Todd Greenberg and coach Kevin Moore have mended the rift.

Bulldogs insiders now readily admit they still want Daniel at the club - and this time Peter will not stand in the teenager's way when his current Parramatta deal expires at the end of next season.

"It's up to Daniel and Parramatta have been wonderful to us, but I'd have no issues with him going there now," Mortimer said.

"Discipline and decency have returned to Belmore. Todd Greenberg and Kevin Moore can take credit for that. I get a kick out of watching the Bulldogs again.

"Kevin has already told me he'd like to have a talk to Daniel when he's contract is up for renewal."

Pearce stated in the past he would have nothing to do with the Tigers….Why would you want a player that doesn't want to bleed for the gurnsey.....We have got a few of those already....

Lets claim big Izzi...he would go well on the wing for Beau Ryan don't you think....

Why cant we put our hand up and say we are interested.

May never happen, but it at least puts us on the radar and may plant a seed in the back of his mind.

His old man could also have a chat about getting away from the bad influences at the rooters and becoming a Tigers legend himself.

He doesnt need to worry anymore about riding on the back of the Pearce legacy. He is his own man now.

Time to 'come home' Mitchell. You belong with us.

I just don't rate the kid that highly.

Well not highly enough for his price tag

His next contract will be a pay cut, however IIRC he only just resigned last year to a 4 or 5 year deal at the Roosters? There has been mutterings however regarding Carney coming to Bondi and in that case they may want to get rid of him (there are also rumours of him being shopped to Manly). But for the big bucks he will probably stay put.

FWIW IMO he is EXACTLY the kind of half we need, low fuss, organising, good kick….get the ball out kinda guy.
But not for the $$$ he is on now
Glenn

@Tommy Magpie said:
Why cant we put our hand up and say we are interested..

Well if I am right and he has 3-4 years left on Contract, we'd look a bit silly.

Glenn

@Glennb said:
@Tommy Magpie said:

Well if I am right and he has 3-4 years left on Contract, we'd look a bit silly.

Glenn

He'll never end up at the Tigers IMO. We're looking good in the halves for next season anyway.

After recent comings & goings,nothings impossible these days in player or coaching movement..
Facts appear to be:
Easts have Pearce & Anasta contracted,& are strongly rumored to pick up Carney.If the rorters want him they'll get him.
All are $300k+ contract players(although Carney mite come a little cheaper given his past problems).
Anasta prefers to play 6,not 13.He doesnt see himself as a forward.
Pearce is the "weakest link"of the 3,in that he isnt able to change the course of a game by himself.Its too early to tell,but he mite be the one squeezed out,but it'll be sometime next year.
By that time,we'll have worked out whether or not Moltzen is capable,& also Michael Monaghans future in UK.
No rush at this stage to do anything whilst Moltzen(at less than half the $$$ of Pearce)is proving himself one way or the other.

@Glennb said:
@Tommy Magpie said:

Glenn

We often look a bit silly when it comes signing players.

whilst it would be neat to get him, yeah, he's stated plenty of times, he doesn't want the added pressure of playing here, expectations may be high, but maybe they wouldn't be as high now as they would have been if he came to us first?

@smeghead said:
I just don't rate the kid that highly.

his kicking game is the best in the comp.
might not be the top player in the game yet, but he's played origin. he's no dud. he'll be round for a long time.

Dont be silly. for us to buy him the player needs to be over 30, injury prone or a bargian buy. We dont buy players when there r other teams chasing him

No thanks. I know too much about the young fella off the field to know he would not be good for our club - full stop!

@tigh said:
No thanks. I know too much about the young fella off the field to know he would not be good for our club - full stop!

You heard about him too

Agree with tigh, don’t want him here.
\
\
The thought of Carney and Pearce at the same club

He doesn't want to be here and he's not much chop. If we had to have him I'd only take him if the Roosters paid 100% of his contract.

He should never have played SOO…Kimmorley showed just how far off the pace Pearce,& Wallace are at top level.
Pearce is at best a solid club player,& maybe Brian Smith will develop his skills further,but at this stage overhyped , overrated & overpaid.
Not even in the top 10 half backs in the comp..Id take all these guys before Pearce ...Thurston,Prince,Kimmorly,Orford,Cronk,Mullane,Soward,Carney,Stacy Jones ,maybe Wallace ,Mortimer &the new Penrith guy too.And just maybe,by the seasons end,Moltzens name will be there too.
Pearce mite not want the surname at Tigers,but it & it alone has given him rep opportunites he wouldnt have otherwise have attained

Members online

Back