Ellis doubtful for Cowboys clash

G

Ellis doubtful for Cowboys clash
EHSSAN VEISZADEH
July 13, 2010 - 4:44PM

AAP

Injured West Tigers second-rower Gareth Ellis admits he may be forced to sit out next Monday's NRL clash against North Queensland at Leichhardt due to a groin problem.

Ellis, who has been one of the Tigers' most consistent players since joining from English club Leeds last season, suffered the injury against Brisbane two weeks ago and missed last Friday's 15-14 win over the Gold Coast at Campbelltown Stadium

"It's a niggling groin injury that's been hanging around for a few weeks now," Ellis said on Tuesday.

"It's gradually got worse.

"I think in the long run, with the amount of football I've played over the last few years that it might be good to have a week or two off and freshen up.

"I'm still a chance this week but it won't be the end of the world if I don't, as long as the boys keep winning."

The Tigers sit third on the NRL ladder, and will go into the game against the second-last Cowboys full of confidence having tasted victory in six of their last seven games.

With just eight rounds of the regular season remaining, Tim Sheens' side are well placed to make a return to the finals for the first time since their grand final win in 2005.

"Every year is an opportunity and we've got a great player roster, better than the one in '05, according to the boys who were here," Ellis said.

"We're sitting pretty good on the table but it's easy to get carried away with that.

"We need to keep at it and keep picking up the wins.

"It would be nice to pick up our performances and give it a good run going into the back- end of the year."

Ellis' English lure
14/07/2010 4:56 PM
Adam Lucius
Sportal

The lure of playing at a ground that reminds him of his homeland has Wests Tigers' English import Gareth Ellis pushing to make it back for Monday night's clash with North Queensland at Leichhardt oval.

The towering second-rower missed last weekend's one-point win over Gold Coast with a groin injury and was originally slated for a return in round 20.

But the chance to play on the Tigers' boutique ground – used just four times a year – and a quicker-than-expected recovery will prompt Ellis to request an early return.

"The closeness of the crowd at Leichhardt and the atmosphere makes it very much like an English ground," he told Sportal.

"You don't want to miss too many Leichhardt games. I really enjoy playing there."

"I'm still a chance this week but it won't be the end of the world if I don't."

"It's a niggling groin injury that's been hanging around for a few weeks now and gradually got worse."

"Rest is the thing and I think in the long run – with the amount of football I've played over the last few years – that it might be good to have a week or two off and freshen up."

"I will start running at the end of the week and get a feel for it and go from there."

"I won't take any risks but I'd love to get out there with the boys."

The Tigers are on course to make the finals for the first time since they won the competition in 2005, sitting third after 18 rounds.

But Ellis is taking nothing for granted, even if those around him are getting excited about what lies ahead.

"Every year is an opportunity and we've got a great player roster – better than the one in '05 according to the boys who were here," Ellis said.

"We're sitting pretty good on the table but it's easy to get carried away with that."

"We need to keep at it and keep picking up the wins."

"It would be nice to pick up our performances and give it a good run going into the back-end of the year."

Ellis will be an integral part of that premiership push after quickly adapting to life in the NRL, surprising many with his swift progress.

Asked the biggest hurdle for an Englishman entering the NRL, Ellis replied : "The mental side of things, getting into that week in, week out grind."

"There's no easy games…every game seems to be must-win."

"That's the biggest difference between the two competitions (NRL and Super League) but it's something I'm revelling in."

"It's great. I'm really enjoying it."

if Gareth needs another week off, to fully recover, then have it.
would hate to see him, return early only to aggravate the injury, which could result in an extended period out of the team.

@westTAHger said:
if Gareth needs another week off, to fully recover, then have it.
would hate to see him, return early only to aggravate the injury, which could result in an extended period out of the team.

Agreed. If he is anything less than 100% and not in danger of making the injury worse, he should sit this one out.

2nd row is argueably the strongest position we've got in the club so yeah if he needs another week then give him another, give him 2\. No need whatsoever to take risks here.

@tigergirlz said:
He wasn't named in the team this week.
Isn't it obvious he won't be playing?

Yeah Sheens has never started a player who wasn't named in the offical squad!!!! :laughing:

Latest posts

Members online

Back