Ex-NSW star inspires Huddersfield coup

Juro

Ex-NSW star inspires Huddersfield coup
By Daniel Schofield AAP Mon, 10 Aug 2009 06:36:26
http://www.nrl.com/newsviews/latestnews/newsarticle/tabid/10874/newsid/56207/ex-nsw-star-inspires-huddersfield-coup/default.aspx
>
Former Wests Tigers full-back Brett Hodgson has inspired Nathan Brown's Huddersfield to a surprise Challenge Cup semi-final defeat of holders St Helens on Sunday.
>
The former NSW star was superb in both defence and attack to help the Giants defeat the Super League leaders and book a first trip to Wembley in 37 years where they will meet Warrington who also upset the odds to beat Wigan 39-26.
>
Hodgson put the Giants ahead early on as he received Leroy Cudjoe's offload to finish off a well-worked Warrington move.
>
The Saints came roaring back into it and drew level when they worked the ball wide for Francis Meli to smash his way through Cudjoe's tackle.
>
Just after the half-hour mark great work by Kevin Brown helped set up Stephen Wild for the try, with Hodgson adding the extras before he stopped both Leon Pryce and Kyle Eastmond grounding the ball over the Wolves try line.
>
Lee Gilmour also had a try ruled out for the Saints but Huddersfield soon built on their 10-4 halftime lead.
>
First Luke Robinson's crossfield kick was finished off by Cudjoe before Kevin Brown also touched down a loose ball to put Huddersfield in sight of Wembley.
>
St Helens threatened especially after Meli got his second but Hodgson helped seal the victory late on.
>
A brilliant break and kick ahead allowed Wild to get the decisive score even if Meli did complete his hat-trick with time almost up.
>
Huddersfield will face Warrington in the final after the Wolves beat Wigan on Saturday.

Way to go, Hodgo. We could really use him here now Gallant is injured…

G

Good to see Hodgo still has it. Hope Huddersfield win the Cup.

Aladinsane

@Allan Towle said:
Well done Hodgo.

I am so happy for him….what an experience for our Ex Tigers Huddersford players to be playing at Wembley on the 29th.
Go Brett.....hope your holding up that great trophy at the end of that final

Here's a great video link of Brett getting interviewed after the semi win against St Helens....check out his left eye socket.....I hate to be him in winters in another 20 years time

**Huddersfield Celebrate on SLTV**
Monday 10th August 09

SLTV were present on Sunday (9th August) to see Huddersfield Giants progress through to the final of the Carnegie Challenge Cup at Wembley on 29th August.

They did it in great style by beating St Helens 24 to 14.

SLTV spoke to Captain and Carnegie Man of the Match Brett Hodgson, Head Coach Nathan Brown, Luke Robinson Eorl Crabtree.

Tickets for the Final are available by clicking the following link… [www.rugbyleaguetickets.co.uk](http://www.rugbyleaguetickets.co.uk)

Tickets start from only £21

Here's the Link http://www.superleague.co.uk/article.php?id=14975

S

SJP

If anyone wants to watch the final from Wembley this saturday, its LIVE on Channel 9 from 2320 (game starts at 2330) Love to watch but i'm on a early flight back to Sydney from the GC.

Suzie-Q

@SJP said:
If anyone wants to watch the final from Wembley this saturday, its LIVE on Channel 9 from 2320 (game starts at 2330) Love to watch but i'm on a early flight back to Sydney from the GC.

Thanks for the heads up. :wink:

huddgiant01

i will be at wembley in the giants section behind the posts :slight_smile: can't wait to see brett hodgson lifting the cup.