Future Positional Changes

everett

From a reliable source it appears Sheens sees Beau Ryan as a future centre if The Tank returns to the wing, Ashyford to make the transition to the forwards over the next 18 months and still has plans to utalise Danielle in the NRL (an impact player off the bench to run at tired forwards).

As it has been pointed out a number of times of this forum, Sheens believes it is a big step up from State Cup to NRL hence the reason not many players get promoted from State Cup to NRL. That means players like Davis, Pritchard, etc may need to look elsewhere. Arana is a classic case of not being in Sheens' plans for NRL hence he is hoping to move on. (great in attack but his defence is a major concern).

I just hope Moltzen is never used as a full back again. I would like him to play in the centres if Lui continues to develope as a half back.

If we have the talent in the state cup then they deserve a go!

Why should they go on to play first grade at other clubs just because we wouldn't give them a go. We carry three forwards on the bench and hardly use the 4th interchange so why not rotate guys like this and see how they go.

On the other hand maybe Sheens is right …....... but then why pay all this cash to carry two state cup sides? Surely not just to satisfy the diehard Balmain and Maggie fans!

Ryan was a centre at Saints,but I personally think Ayshford and Daniela offer more at centre,and I hate the fact Sheens won't at least try our lower grade players before buying fringe players from other clubs.

@Tigersmurf said:

Why should they go on to play first grade at other clubs just because we wouldn't give them a go. We carry three forwards on the bench and hardly use the 4th interchange so why not rotate guys like this and see how they go.

On the other hand maybe Sheens is right …....... but then why pay all this cash to carry two state cup sides? Surely not just to satisfy the diehard Balmain and Maggie fans!

Wests Tigers don't pay the State Cup sides a cent….

Apart from Fitzy given the current side named agaist the Raiders who would you drop...?

Accept for Fitzhenry and maybe Flanagan (once Fulton is fit) I would drop no one from the current line up.

Can't wait to see how Tame Tupou goes. Imagine him coming off the bench as a wrecking ball.

The future looks bright if we can avoid any more injuries.

Will be interesting next year with more U/20 players pushing for fulltime contracts. Looking good

@Geo. said:
@Tigersmurf said:

On the other hand maybe Sheens is right …....... **but then why pay all this cash to carry two state cup sides?** Surely not just to satisfy the diehard Balmain and Maggie fans!

Wests Tigers don't pay the State Cup sides a cent….
Apart from Fitzy given the current side named agaist the Raiders who would you drop...?

Considering the Wests Tigers are owned by the Balmain & Wests Football Clubs, I would think it is the other way around. (Both State Cup Clubs would fork out money to the NRL Club to keep it running on top of Sponsor's money and grants?)

There are a couple of people who reckon Ryan is at his best in the centres, pretty sure CT is one who thinks so (correct me if I'm wrong CT). Thing is, Ryan isn't endowed with great pace, nor great size or strength, so without seeing him play in the centres regularly, it's hard to justify putting him in there ahead of Ayshford who is bigger and just as quick, or Daniela who might be a couple of kilos lighter, but definitely faster with better footwork…

I'd actually be interested to see Ayshford on the wing. That would leave Ryan and Daniela fighting for a spot at centre. YOu'd give it to Ryan on defense but I tend to agree with Willow that he might struggle for speed. Daniela worries me at centre next to Lui. 2 smaller guys defending on the edges could be troublesome.

With the doubt surrounding Tuiaki making a return to the wing (personally I think he will be back on the wing), what about this for next year.

1\. McKinnon
2\. Tuqiri
3\. Lawrence
4\. Moltzen
5\. Ayshford.

I suppose alot depends on how McKinnon goes for the rest of this season and wether they'll resign him for 2011.

Ive seen Ryan play in the centres twice and on that id say its easily his best position. He looked great. But i agree with Willow, im not sure he has the physical attributes we need for a centre.

And i wouldnt have Moltzen anywhere near the centres. He doesnt break tackles, he doesnt have the attacking game for the centres. His attacking ability comes from being a ball player and having runners outside him and then he can slice through. He is not a centre, he's a 5/8 who can cover 1/2 and fullback. The kid should go to another club to play 5/8 so he can reach his potential.

@king sirro said:
Ive seen Ryan play in the centres twice and on that id say its easily his best position. He looked great. But i agree with Willow, im not sure he has the physical attributes we need for a centre.

And i wouldnt have Moltzen anywhere near the centres. He doesnt break tackles, he doesnt have the attacking game for the centres. His attacking ability comes from being a ball player and having runners outside him and then he can slice through. He is not a centre, he's a 5/8 who can cover 1/2 and fullback. The kid should go to another club to play 5/8 so he can reach his potential.

I disagree Sirro. Moltzen's best work is as a support player. He runs very good lines as well which could translate into a handy ball-playing centre.

Moltzen would need to add some size and aggression to succeed as a centre i think.

Robert Lui as a future lock forward.

Moltz returns to HB next year and we've re-signed Lui. Lui is mobile, likes to run, fairly handy head-on defender. I think if you can add a few kgs he'd go great.

how but we keep lui and moltzen

geez we havn't had a halfback for a million years. its amazing to have one let alone two!!

ok i know this positional change has been mentioned, but just say Mckinnon plays pooorly and isnt resigned (hope not), we are out of fullbacks, can the idea of bringing marshal to fullback do any harm!..
1.marshal
2.tui
3.ryan
4.lawrence
5.lote
6.moltz
7.lui
the attack in this team is crazy! marshal and moltz can change pending on game structure, and this will actually be assured to bring the infamous side step back into benji's game! Another point to note, is maybe switching ryan with dwyer, to implement a dave taylor centre style play! bloody awesome, imagine any centre one on one! STEAMROLLED!!!
14.aysford

havn't we learnt benji moving positions already. Moltz way more of a fb then benji is IMO

I think you will find unless McKinnon turns out to be an absolute world beater, Moltz will be back at no1 next year, Sheens wants a ball playing no1 and Moltz is one of his pet projects. Okay he has been a little scratchy at the back so far but I think Sheens should persist with his project because he has all the required skills for the job and will get better. Its all about finding a place for everyone and getting the right mix

If The Tank does not return to the NRL which appears to be a high possibility then Ryan should stay on the wing and Moltzen to centres. Ashyford to lock and Rhino to second row. Like to McKinnon work out but if not then Sean Meaney and Mullaney could be ideal. Moltzen looks like a scared rabbit at full back.

@everett said:
If The Tank does not return to the NRL which appears to be a high possibility then Ryan should stay on the wing and Moltzen to centres. Ashyford to lock and Rhino to second row. Like to McKinnon work out but if not then Sean Meaney and Mullaney could be ideal. Moltzen looks like a scared rabbit at full back.

Tuiaki will be back, it probably won't be this year that's all.

Back