General Rugby League Media

SportNRLNRL 2023
Aloiai, Wakeham separated after post-match argument
Michael Chammas
ByMichael Chammas
April 23, 2023 — 8.14pm

Manly forward Josh Aloiai and Wests Tigers five-eighth Brandon Wakeham had to be separated in the tunnel following a heated argument an hour after full-time of Sunday’s clash at Campbelltown Sports Stadium.

The players were in the tunnel at Campbelltown following Manly’s come-from-behind win over the Tigers when Aloiai approached Wakeham after the playmaker had finished conducting a post-match interview with a reporter.

The conversation began amicably before Aloiai, who had taken exception to Wakeham’s actions on the field, asked the Tigers No.6 to “come around the corner” if he wanted to “talk shit”.

The pair got in each other’s faces as they exchanged words, with Aloiai having to be dragged back into the Manly Sea Eagles dressing room.

Wakeham then popped his head into the Manly sheds to continue the argument with Aloiai before he was told to head back into the Tigers sheds.

Sources with knowledge of the situation, talking under the condition of anonymity to protect their identity, told the Herald the argument was believed to be in relation to Wakeham taunting debutant Samuela Fainu when Starford To’a went past Josh Schuster and Fainu to give the Tigers the lead late in the match.

The incident, which occurred in the 63rd minute, sparked a melee that resulted in the rookie’s jersey being removed.

It erupted soon after when Jason Saab crossed for the match-winning try, with Fainu returning serve against Wakeham as Manly celebrated the 22-16 win in front of 10,033 fans at a wet and cold Campbelltown Sports Stadium.

NRL grant Dragons salary cap dispensation for Cody Ramsey​

The NRL has granted St George Illawarra salary cap dispensation for the disease that has denied stricken fullback Cody Ramsey the chance to play this season.

This masthead can reveal the NRL has finalised its review into the Dragons’ request to get Ramsey’s contract removed from this year’s salary cap and have decided to make an exemption for his unique situation.

NRL grant Dragons salary cap dispensation for Cody Ramsey​

The NRL has granted St George Illawarra salary cap dispensation for the disease that has denied stricken fullback Cody Ramsey the chance to play this season.

This masthead can reveal the NRL has finalised its review into the Dragons’ request to get Ramsey’s contract removed from this year’s salary cap and have decided to make an exemption for his unique situation.
got the same problem as Charlie,if im not mistaken

Singo’s ‘Leagueathon’ walked so Magic Round could fly​

Roy Masters

Roy Masters

Sports Columnist
May 6, 2023 — 5.00am

Not much is new in rugby league. Whatever the game’s most recent innovation, it has usually risen from the scrapheap of previously discarded adventures.
Magic Round, which began in 2019 with all the fixtures of a given round being played at Brisbane’s Suncorp Stadium over three days, recalls another festival of rugby league that was staged in Sydney over 40 years ago.

In 1977 and 1978, all six NSWRL games in one round were played at the SCG over the Anzac weekend, with three double-headers staged the first year and two triple-headers the next. Dubbed a “Leagueathon”, it was the brain child of adman John Singleton and was endorsed by then NSWRL president Kevin Humphreys.
It was memorable for the horrendous traffic jams, the long queues for pies, players arriving late for games and the performance of American crooner Burl Ives.

“We had f--- all in the promotions budget and I had to hire over-the-hill entertainment,” Singo recalls. “[American singer] Burl Ives sang Pearly Shells and then walked off.
“I chased him into the dressing-room and said, ‘Burl, mate, you’ve got to go back out’. But he pointed to his contract, which said he only had to sing at half-time.
‘Over-the-hill entertainment’: Burl Ives with Manly Sea Eagles cap.

‘Over-the-hill entertainment’: Burl Ives with Manly Sea Eagles cap.Credit: Fairfax Media

“I said, ‘No mate, you’ve got to sing for half-time [meaning the duration of it]’. So Burl goes back out and what does he sing? Pearly Shells!”
Singo admits he learned much about marketing from rugby league. “The first year, with the double-headers, you had to pre-book. People had never heard of this before. They had to buy their tickets at Andy Capp grog shops and Where Do You Get it stores. It was good for the sponsors because it drove people to the stores, but people didn’t like to pre-book and be told where they were sitting.

“This was before the days of mobile phones and computers. A different world. But with the triple-headers, they only had to turn up. The first triple-header day, the SCG turned people away at 11am. It was chaos. I’m looking at the crowd, which I thought was 70,000, and thinking, ‘How good is this’?
Crowds pack the SCG for the NSWRL Leagueathon in 1978.

Crowds pack the SCG for the NSWRL Leagueathon in 1978.Credit: Fairfax Archive

“I’m thinking [as promoter] of the Anzac Day crowd two days later. I’m like the racehorse Ajax, I can’t get beat. [Ajax lost at Rosehill in 1939 at odds of 40-1 on].
“But what I hadn’t considered was Frank Hyde on 2SM telling people about traffic jams back to Burwood. Surprise, surprise! The next day’s crowd was an ordinary one.”
The atmosphere went from rock concert to piano recital. Singo had been whipped by a media sandstorm.

“The publicity was all about the traffic,” he recalls. “Who wants to get caught in a traffic jam?”
Frank Hyde hits the high notes with some songs for the SCG crowd before the inaugural Leagueathon in 1977.

Frank Hyde hits the high notes with some songs for the SCG crowd before the inaugural Leagueathon in 1977.Credit: John O’Gready

The official attendance was 44,507 for the first triple-header and 25,004 for the second one, with Singo conceding the announced figures were rubbery. “I reckon the crowd for the Anzac Day was less and the crowd for the first day was more,” he said.
(Clubs were promised a margin above their average home gate, suggesting creative crowd counting pre-dated the Super League war 20 years later).
In this weekend’s Magic Round, the home teams receive compensation to play in Brisbane. As Singo says, “NRL clubs can’t go broke today, they get so much money from head office”.

Magic Round is a sell-out, but traffic won’t be a problem, with the 52,000-seat Suncorp Stadium next to a railway station.
Wests and Balmain battle it out in the 1978 Leagueathon.

Wests and Balmain battle it out in the 1978 Leagueathon.Credit: John O’Gready

However, Singo’s Leagueathon did have a legacy. “The triple-header worked,” he says. “The same grocery stores and grog shops where you had to buy tickets the previous year came back in. It was the first time the game had been sponsored by these people.”
Asked what innovations he would like to see in Brisbane, Singo said, “A promotion match for a million dollars between Newtown and North Sydney,” a reference to the Jets, where he was once president, and the Bears, another relegated that is still club dear to many.
Back in 1977-78, the players were living at home during the Leagueathon. This weekend, all 16 NRL teams are being housed at two hotels, a symbol of the increasing collegiality between NRL players at rival clubs.

Today, opposing players walk from the field together, with the losers often smiling at private jokes with their rivals. The sight of players joking with their opponents after losses is an aspect of the modern game that grates on the players from the original Leagueathon days.

Wests and Balmain are now a merged entity, but in the 1978 Leagueathon they went head-to-head, with the Tigers’ Larry Corowa scoring three tries against my Magpies side.
The rivalry back then came to mind when Singo asked me if I remembered Ives’ half-time entertainment.
“Didn’t see him,” I said. “I was too busy using the break to work out how to stop Larry Corowa.”

Singo’s ‘Leagueathon’ walked so Magic Round could fly​

Roy Masters

Roy Masters

Sports Columnist
May 6, 2023 — 5.00am

Not much is new in rugby league. Whatever the game’s most recent innovation, it has usually risen from the scrapheap of previously discarded adventures.
Magic Round, which began in 2019 with all the fixtures of a given round being played at Brisbane’s Suncorp Stadium over three days, recalls another festival of rugby league that was staged in Sydney over 40 years ago.

In 1977 and 1978, all six NSWRL games in one round were played at the SCG over the Anzac weekend, with three double-headers staged the first year and two triple-headers the next. Dubbed a “Leagueathon”, it was the brain child of adman John Singleton and was endorsed by then NSWRL president Kevin Humphreys.
It was memorable for the horrendous traffic jams, the long queues for pies, players arriving late for games and the performance of American crooner Burl Ives.

“We had f--- all in the promotions budget and I had to hire over-the-hill entertainment,” Singo recalls. “[American singer] Burl Ives sang Pearly Shells and then walked off.
“I chased him into the dressing-room and said, ‘Burl, mate, you’ve got to go back out’. But he pointed to his contract, which said he only had to sing at half-time.
‘Over-the-hill entertainment’: Burl Ives with Manly Sea Eagles cap.

‘Over-the-hill entertainment’: Burl Ives with Manly Sea Eagles cap.Credit: Fairfax Media

“I said, ‘No mate, you’ve got to sing for half-time [meaning the duration of it]’. So Burl goes back out and what does he sing? Pearly Shells!”
Singo admits he learned much about marketing from rugby league. “The first year, with the double-headers, you had to pre-book. People had never heard of this before. They had to buy their tickets at Andy Capp grog shops and Where Do You Get it stores. It was good for the sponsors because it drove people to the stores, but people didn’t like to pre-book and be told where they were sitting.

“This was before the days of mobile phones and computers. A different world. But with the triple-headers, they only had to turn up. The first triple-header day, the SCG turned people away at 11am. It was chaos. I’m looking at the crowd, which I thought was 70,000, and thinking, ‘How good is this’?
Crowds pack the SCG for the NSWRL Leagueathon in 1978.

Crowds pack the SCG for the NSWRL Leagueathon in 1978.Credit: Fairfax Archive

“I’m thinking [as promoter] of the Anzac Day crowd two days later. I’m like the racehorse Ajax, I can’t get beat. [Ajax lost at Rosehill in 1939 at odds of 40-1 on].
“But what I hadn’t considered was Frank Hyde on 2SM telling people about traffic jams back to Burwood. Surprise, surprise! The next day’s crowd was an ordinary one.”
The atmosphere went from rock concert to piano recital. Singo had been whipped by a media sandstorm.

“The publicity was all about the traffic,” he recalls. “Who wants to get caught in a traffic jam?”
Frank Hyde hits the high notes with some songs for the SCG crowd before the inaugural Leagueathon in 1977.

Frank Hyde hits the high notes with some songs for the SCG crowd before the inaugural Leagueathon in 1977.Credit: John O’Gready

The official attendance was 44,507 for the first triple-header and 25,004 for the second one, with Singo conceding the announced figures were rubbery. “I reckon the crowd for the Anzac Day was less and the crowd for the first day was more,” he said.
(Clubs were promised a margin above their average home gate, suggesting creative crowd counting pre-dated the Super League war 20 years later).
In this weekend’s Magic Round, the home teams receive compensation to play in Brisbane. As Singo says, “NRL clubs can’t go broke today, they get so much money from head office”.

Magic Round is a sell-out, but traffic won’t be a problem, with the 52,000-seat Suncorp Stadium next to a railway station.
Wests and Balmain battle it out in the 1978 Leagueathon.

Wests and Balmain battle it out in the 1978 Leagueathon.Credit: John O’Gready

However, Singo’s Leagueathon did have a legacy. “The triple-header worked,” he says. “The same grocery stores and grog shops where you had to buy tickets the previous year came back in. It was the first time the game had been sponsored by these people.”
Asked what innovations he would like to see in Brisbane, Singo said, “A promotion match for a million dollars between Newtown and North Sydney,” a reference to the Jets, where he was once president, and the Bears, another relegated that is still club dear to many.
Back in 1977-78, the players were living at home during the Leagueathon. This weekend, all 16 NRL teams are being housed at two hotels, a symbol of the increasing collegiality between NRL players at rival clubs.

Today, opposing players walk from the field together, with the losers often smiling at private jokes with their rivals. The sight of players joking with their opponents after losses is an aspect of the modern game that grates on the players from the original Leagueathon days.

Wests and Balmain are now a merged entity, but in the 1978 Leagueathon they went head-to-head, with the Tigers’ Larry Corowa scoring three tries against my Magpies side.
The rivalry back then came to mind when Singo asked me if I remembered Ives’ half-time entertainment.
“Didn’t see him,” I said. “I was too busy using the break to work out how to stop Larry Corowa.”

I was at that game and i remember Corowa destroying the magpies with sheer pace and ability.He scored a try that if i didn't see it i would not have believed it,he caught the ball deep in the SW corner of the SCG then ran at an angle towards the NE corner and would have beat at least 6/7 players on his way to the try line.A couple of my mates who supported Wests had been putting shit on him from the start of the game,that stopped immediately and every time he was given the ball after that they were crapping themselves.
It was a great day and a great match and i had free drinks for the rest of the day/night

I was at that game and i remember Corowa destroying the magpies with sheer pace and ability.He scored a try that if i didn't see it i would not have believed it,he caught the ball deep in the SW corner of the SCG then ran at an angle towards the NE corner and would have beat at least 6/7 players on his way to the try line.A couple of my mates who supported Wests had been putting shit on him from the start of the game,that stopped immediately and every time he was given the ball after that they were crapping themselves.
It was a great day and a great match and i had free drinks for the rest of the day/night
Interesting to see Dennis Bendall in that photo, sad end to such a talent.

Interesting to see Dennis Bendall in that photo, sad end to such a talent.

Dennis was a very talented and under rated player,his defence in particular was exceptional imho.His footballing career was finished after his accident but at least he could continue with his other life(I think he was a teacher).

I vividly remember that game. Corowa was unstoppable and brilliant. As a Magpies supporter all you could do was applaud and hope he pulled a hammy.

Bizarre Super League pre-match parade goes horribly wrong as rampaging bull breaks loose​

Alex Conrad from Fox Sports@alexhconrad
May 6th, 2023 8:15 am

Catalans Dragons players got the fright of their lives as a rampaging bull interrupted their pre-match warm-up.

The Dragons were going through their motions to prepare for their hotly-anticipated Super League clash against St Helens at the Stade Gilbert Brutus.

Players could scarcely have imagined the chaos that would ensue from Catalans owner Bernard Guasch’s bright idea to have a pre-match parade featuring the animals to emphasise the quality of beef in the area.

Guasch, who is also the head of a meat processing company in the region, arranged for “three prize-winning bulls, as well as two cows from the same Gascon breed” to “perform a lap of honour during the warm-up” according to a club statement before the game.

But things quickly got out of control.

Bizarre Super League pre-match parade goes horribly wrong as rampaging bull breaks loose​

Alex Conrad from Fox Sports@alexhconrad
May 6th, 2023 8:15 am

Catalans Dragons players got the fright of their lives as a rampaging bull interrupted their pre-match warm-up.

The Dragons were going through their motions to prepare for their hotly-anticipated Super League clash against St Helens at the Stade Gilbert Brutus.

Players could scarcely have imagined the chaos that would ensue from Catalans owner Bernard Guasch’s bright idea to have a pre-match parade featuring the animals to emphasise the quality of beef in the area.

Guasch, who is also the head of a meat processing company in the region, arranged for “three prize-winning bulls, as well as two cows from the same Gascon breed” to “perform a lap of honour during the warm-up” according to a club statement before the game.

But things quickly got out of control.
Wonder if we could get a Siberian Tiger in this arvo up the Stains end....

• Breaking

Referees’ union weighs up legal action against Warriors’ sponsor​

Adam Pengilly

ByAdam Pengilly

May 8, 2023 — 2.57pm

The NRL’s referees’ union is considering taking legal action against the chief executive of the New Zealand Warriors’ major sponsor who sent a tweet which accused whistleblowers of “cheating”.

The Professional Rugby League Match Officials, which represents the game’s elite referees, has sought legal advice on whether they can launch defamation proceedings against One New Zealand boss Jason Paris.

NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo was furious with the social media messages from Paris, who blasted officials after the Warriors’ loss to the Panthers during Magic Round on Saturday.
And on Monday, PRLMO boss Matt Cecchin said his organisation had spoken to lawyers about their position.

“It’s not called for and the comments are appalling,” Cecchin said. “It does nothing to help and improve officials within our game, or any officials really. That’s why we’ll do whatever we can to ensure comments like this are stamped out of our game, and stamped out of any game for any officials.

“Any sort of mention of the word bias, be it conscious or unconscious, is just unacceptable. It hurts our game at every level.

“We feel strong enough to seek legal opinion and based on the information we’ll pursue whatever means necessary to ensure that it’s seen as a deterrent for anyone who thinks about making any such comments around bias.”

Paris spoke on multiple New Zealand media platforms on Monday after his rant, and took to Twitter again to back down from his accusation of cheating.

“My comments were made in the heat of the moment as a passionate fan,” Paris tweeted. “However, I do believe that there is unconscious bias happening every week against the Warriors & it needs to be addressed. All we want is consistency, but we are not getting it.”

The Warriors had two players - Jackson Ford and Demitric Sifakula - sent to the sin-bin against the Panthers as the two-time defending champions scrapped their way to an 18-6 win.

“Officials make mistakes like players do in every game,” Cecchin said. “We learn from those, but the comments taken offence to here do nothing to improve the standard of officiating. Make comments about mistakes is one thing, but suggesting bias or cheating is just not acceptable.
“We feel the comments made by this person don’t reflect 99 per cent of people that know anything about, or follow rugby league. That’s why they’re so out of the norm it’s not funny. We’re doing this to protect past officials, present officials and emerging officials.

• Breaking

Referees’ union weighs up legal action against Warriors’ sponsor​

Adam Pengilly

ByAdam Pengilly

May 8, 2023 — 2.57pm

The NRL’s referees’ union is considering taking legal action against the chief executive of the New Zealand Warriors’ major sponsor who sent a tweet which accused whistleblowers of “cheating”.

The Professional Rugby League Match Officials, which represents the game’s elite referees, has sought legal advice on whether they can launch defamation proceedings against One New Zealand boss Jason Paris.

NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo was furious with the social media messages from Paris, who blasted officials after the Warriors’ loss to the Panthers during Magic Round on Saturday.
And on Monday, PRLMO boss Matt Cecchin said his organisation had spoken to lawyers about their position.

“It’s not called for and the comments are appalling,” Cecchin said. “It does nothing to help and improve officials within our game, or any officials really. That’s why we’ll do whatever we can to ensure comments like this are stamped out of our game, and stamped out of any game for any officials.

“Any sort of mention of the word bias, be it conscious or unconscious, is just unacceptable. It hurts our game at every level.

“We feel strong enough to seek legal opinion and based on the information we’ll pursue whatever means necessary to ensure that it’s seen as a deterrent for anyone who thinks about making any such comments around bias.”

Paris spoke on multiple New Zealand media platforms on Monday after his rant, and took to Twitter again to back down from his accusation of cheating.

“My comments were made in the heat of the moment as a passionate fan,” Paris tweeted. “However, I do believe that there is unconscious bias happening every week against the Warriors & it needs to be addressed. All we want is consistency, but we are not getting it.”

The Warriors had two players - Jackson Ford and Demitric Sifakula - sent to the sin-bin against the Panthers as the two-time defending champions scrapped their way to an 18-6 win.

“Officials make mistakes like players do in every game,” Cecchin said. “We learn from those, but the comments taken offence to here do nothing to improve the standard of officiating. Make comments about mistakes is one thing, but suggesting bias or cheating is just not acceptable.
“We feel the comments made by this person don’t reflect 99 per cent of people that know anything about, or follow rugby league. That’s why they’re so out of the norm it’s not funny. We’re doing this to protect past officials, present officials and emerging officials.

Oh, I thought everyone knew they cheated. Whoops.

The refs might be outraged but the constant calls against the Warriors is ridiculous. I do t watch al there games but jeez they get caned when they are over here. Might not be intentional but there is a inherent baism against them.

Back