Has any senior Player been dropped during Sheens 8 seasons?

Eddie

New member
Joined
Jul 14, 2009
Messages
3,910
I am trying to rack my brain. I am sure there has been a few? Maybe Nick Graham back in 2003 was the last to run foul of Sheens? Even the likes of Teo, Morris, Halatau, Fitzhnery, Chris Patterson - guys who performed woefully for months on end were never given a stint in the reserves to cool their heals.

When you have a club that has missed the finals going on 5 seasons in a row you would expect the odd shake up? Where is the accountability to perform at this club? What is the incentive to perform when you know you will be in the 17 all season? Where is the drive for players outside the click to push on when their is a road block in the form of T Sheens? We have reserve grade sides and under 20 sides doing pretty well each season yet they rarely get a chance.

How can you justify picking a 30 year old winger who has not looked like getting across the stripe all season? One that looks scared of body contact and is as slow as a wet week? It is nothing short of a scandal in my opinion. He was pathetic for large parts of 2002-2007 but to re-sign him 3 years on should of spelt it out for any Sheens fans that the man is clearly nuts.

How can you justify picking a small forward pack for 5 seasons with little reinforcement on the bench? Picking wingers on the bench to play 3-4minutes at the end of the game? Which other club does not?

How can you justify not having a qualified halfback in the squad for 3-4 seasons? The most important position on the field being taken up by a bloke like John Morris for 2 seasons, and shuffled around with alarming regularity ever since.

I just think it is truly startling. The amount of howlers this bloke has made. I mean a few of us were seeing these things 4 seasons ago, but at least now the whispers are becoming screams. I don't think there is a club in this country in professional sport that would put up with these sorts of things for 2 years let alone 5 years.

It is staggering. That is all.
 

Tigerpete

New member
Joined
Jul 11, 2009
Messages
1,530
Halatau did, Fitzhenry may've spent a week there. I get your point though, he's got too much patience for them.
 

Eddie

New member
Joined
Jul 14, 2009
Messages
3,910
If they were in the reserves i would hazard a guess it was for no more then a token week.
 

matty119

New member
Joined
Jul 11, 2009
Messages
174
@Eddie said:
I am trying to rack my brain. I am sure there has been a few? Maybe Nick Graham back in 2003 was the last to run foul of Sheens? Even the likes of Teo, Morris, Halatau, Fitzhnery, Chris Patterson - guys who performed woefully for months on end were never given a stint in the reserves to cool their heals.

When you have a club that has missed the finals going on 5 seasons in a row you would expect the odd shake up? Where is the accountability to perform at this club? What is the incentive to perform when you know you will be in the 17 all season? Where is the drive for players outside the click to push on when their is a road block in the form of T Sheens? We have reserve grade sides and under 20 sides doing pretty well each season yet they rarely get a chance.

How can you justify picking a 30 year old winger who has not looked like getting across the stripe all season? One that looks scared of body contact and is as slow as a wet week? It is nothing short of a scandal in my opinion. He was pathetic for large parts of 2002-2007 but to re-sign him 3 years on should of spelt it out for any Sheens fans that the man is clearly nuts.

How can you justify picking a small forward for 5 seasons with little reinforcement on the bench? Picking wingers on the bench to play 3-4minutes at the end of the game? Which other club does not?

I just think it is truly startling. The amount of howlers this bloke has made. I mean a few of us were seeing these things 4 seasons ago, but at least now the whispers are becoming screams. I don't think there is a club in this country in professional sport that would put up with these sorts of things for 2 years let alone 5 years.

It is staggering. That is all.

How many clubs have dropped their most senior players, and been successful as a result?????

Just to correct you as well, Te'o, Halatau, Fitzhenry and Paterson all spent time in reserve grade because of poor form. Te'o was dropped towards the end of 07, Halatau played for BRET at the end of last year, Fitzy spent a game or 2 at Wests in 05 after his efforts against Gasnier, and Paterson went up and down in 04 before injury struck. Fulton also spent some time at BRET in 07 after a poor start to the year.
 

Alf_Duguid

New member
Joined
May 14, 2010
Messages
1,038
@matty119 said:
@Eddie said:
I am trying to rack my brain. I am sure there has been a few? Maybe Nick Graham back in 2003 was the last to run foul of Sheens? Even the likes of Teo, Morris, Halatau, Fitzhnery, Chris Patterson - guys who performed woefully for months on end were never given a stint in the reserves to cool their heals.

When you have a club that has missed the finals going on 5 seasons in a row you would expect the odd shake up? Where is the accountability to perform at this club? What is the incentive to perform when you know you will be in the 17 all season? Where is the drive for players outside the click to push on when their is a road block in the form of T Sheens? We have reserve grade sides and under 20 sides doing pretty well each season yet they rarely get a chance.

How can you justify picking a 30 year old winger who has not looked like getting across the stripe all season? One that looks scared of body contact and is as slow as a wet week? It is nothing short of a scandal in my opinion. He was pathetic for large parts of 2002-2007 but to re-sign him 3 years on should of spelt it out for any Sheens fans that the man is clearly nuts.

How can you justify picking a small forward for 5 seasons with little reinforcement on the bench? Picking wingers on the bench to play 3-4minutes at the end of the game? Which other club does not?

I just think it is truly startling. The amount of howlers this bloke has made. I mean a few of us were seeing these things 4 seasons ago, but at least now the whispers are becoming screams. I don't think there is a club in this country in professional sport that would put up with these sorts of things for 2 years let alone 5 years.

It is staggering. That is all.

How many clubs have dropped their most senior players, and been successful as a result?????

Just to correct you as well, Te'o, Halatau, Fitzhenry and Paterson all spent time in reserve grade because of poor form. Te'o was dropped towards the end of 07, Halatau played for BRET at the end of last year, Fitzy spent a game or 2 at Wests in 05 after his efforts against Gasnier, and Paterson went up and down in 04 before injury struck. Fulton also spent some time at BRET in 07 after a poor start to the year.

You've just confirmed Eddie's point. To have so few players dropped in the last five years at an unsuccessful club is ridiculous.
 

Eddie

New member
Joined
Jul 14, 2009
Messages
3,910
Fitzy spent a week or two in reserves did he? Why not a season or two? Why on earth was this bloke bought back to this club after all his terrible performances over the years?

Teo was not dropped during 2008 when he was clearly disinterested and costing the team. Guys like Halatau were never really dropped. They might of got injured and then after coming back spent a week in reserves. However they werequickly back in the frame.

The only guys that are ever shuffled around and stuffed around are his own two bob signings. Guys like Galea, Payne, Daniella, Brown, Cayless, Moors, Sam Harris. Dud signings, the lot authorised by T Sheens.

There is little to no accountability for performance at WT. There has not been for 4 years.
 

king_sirro

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 11, 2009
Messages
6,210
The biggest call the clown has ever made was to take the captaincy from O'neill and give it to Prince. Besides that, he's a cream puff
 

hybrid_tiger

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 11, 2009
Messages
4,872
Location
Latchem Robinson Stand
Fitzhenry was dropped for one week in 2005, after that disastrous Dragons game where Barrett and Hornby sent every bomb his way and he dropped almost all of them. He was back in first grade after a week.

I can't recall Halatau ever being dropped though?
 

Danos

New member
Joined
Jul 12, 2009
Messages
1,069
Matthew Reick(sp?). Matty Head. Ray Cashmere. ie; players who would've been useful in firsts.
 
G

Guest

Guest
O'Hara, Fitzy, Halatau, Te'o have all spent time in State Cup for poor performances. Halatau even had the misfortune of being hooked by Balmain against Cronulla after playing 10 minutes. They have not remained there long though.
 

AJ1

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 12, 2009
Messages
1,039
Location
Five Dock
Add Laurie to the list…however it's not a long list compared to other clubs. Problem is, clubs with clever recruitment can drop out of form players.
 

Geo

Moderator
Staff member
Forum Leader
Joined
Jul 10, 2009
Messages
47,839
Location
Campbelltown NSW..
No I don't think so…

I think it is in the Sheens Mantra to pick the 18 or so at the start of the year.. on the model of he who uses the Least amount of players wins the comp....Worked in 2005....

But has been an utter failure for us ever since....
 

bonstonker

New member
Joined
Jul 11, 2009
Messages
1,473
Location
Louisiana,usa
galloway
he dropped morris his first season but then i think benji got injured and morris was spared from reserve grade.

because we have always had a shot at the 8 i think sheens has felt it wasn't worth the risk.
if we were a true bottom feeder i think more changes would have been made.
the only reason i have this opinion is from seeing what coaches have done with the 3 other teams i support over the last 20-30 years.

one of those teams punted one of their star players and dropped 2 players i never expected to get dropped,while another 2 players were excluded from the team for a month and were required to spend that month with a boxing trainer.
now those 4 players are displaying career best form.
the structure has changed and while it took a while to gel,the team is now playing a style of football that excites you to watch them.

another team won a championship 2 years ago and has slid straight back down.the writing was on the wall early and the coach has stuck by the senior players and while he is so close it looks to be heading the same way as the tigers.
on this occasion he sacked a critical position player but he let himself down with a terrible lack of recruitment in the position.we still suffer because of the play at the position.

the 4th team i support has a coach who is all attitude and physicality.
the team is a pure extension of his mindset
his first game as just an interim head coach midway through the 08 season he sends a player off the field for an early shower.the player was highly paid but never played to his potential to that point.
ever since that day the player has transformed into a leader of the football team and had a breakout year last year under the same head coach.

the biggest problem i have is that we are not showing any key fundamentals of the game.
if the coach is selecting players who are not showing they can follow the fundamentals on and off the field then he himself is setting the standard or lack thereof.
 

supercoach

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 13, 2009
Messages
9,142
The odd player he dropped over the years was never a so called senior first grader at the time, they were fringe players or dud signings. What a waste of coin even having two reserve grade sides, its not like they are being used as sides to keep the big boys on their toes.
 

Alf_Duguid

New member
Joined
May 14, 2010
Messages
1,038
@supercoach said:
The odd player he dropped over the years was never a so called senior first grader at the time, they were fringe players or dud signings. What a waste of coin even having two reserve grade sides, its not like they are being used as sides to keep the big boys on their toes.

I hope you are not referring to Super Jobbo as a dud signing. He was quality
 

Staks

New member
Joined
Jul 10, 2009
Messages
1,037
Rieck, Fitzhenry, Harrison, Halatau, Reynolds, Patterson, Crockett, Te'o, Galloway, Gallant, McDonnell, O'Hara, Harris etc have all been dropped and recalled in the past from memory.
 
Top