Henry O'Kane

ElleryHanley

Does anyone know what the situation is with O'Kane?

He has been touted as 'the' next big thing for us and I have heard Sheens mention him as 'the one'.

Yet, looking at the website, he only has a dev contract for 2022 and nothing else. I.e. he can leave if any team comes in with an NRL deal for 2023.

By contrast, Justin Matamua, has an NRL deal until the end of 2024. Sakura and Pole, who both look miles below O'Kane on ability, also have deals already for next year.

We desperately need backrowers and O'Kane 'does' look the goods IMO.

Anyone know what the situation is?

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the situation is with O'Kane?

He has been touted as 'the' next big thing for us and I have heard Sheens mention him as 'the one'.

Yet, looking at the website, he only has a dev contract for 2022 and nothing else. I.e. he can leave if any team comes in with an NRL deal for 2023.

By contrast, Justin Matamua, has an NRL deal until the end of 2024. Sakura and Pole, who both look miles below O'Kane on ability, also have deals already for next year.

We desperately need backrowers and O'Kane 'does' look the goods IMO.

Anyone know what the situation is?

I believe Matamua doesn't have an NRL deal till 2024 but he's on a development contract and can debut at 2024.

OKane has all the attributes, physically to become legit first grade second rower.
He's only young too.

He is a smart and skilful player too.

Bray Guyan is another dark horse who could become a star if he is invested in.

Come '24 our pack could be a real threat of young hitters.

11 O'Kane
12 Matamua
13 Guyan

14 Rua
15 Kautoga

How ever you want to put it on paper.
Some real promise coming through the grades.... BUT you've been hearing this for years.

I believe Matamua doesn't have an NRL deal till 2024 but he's on a development contract and can debut at 2024.

OKane has all the attributes, physically to become legit first grade second rower.
He's only young too.

He is a smart and skilful player too.

Bray Guyan is another dark horse who could become a star if he is invested in.

Come '24 our pack could be a real threat of young hitters.

11 O'Kane
12 Matamua
13 Guyan

14 Rua
15 Kautoga

How ever you want to put it on paper.
Some real promise coming through the grades.... BUT you've been hearing this for years.

Been quiet on the young fella front for a few years in truth....
We need a decent experienced backrower to bring those young fellas through,....

Someone like a Capewell would have been ideal.

Good posts above...does anyone know his actual contract status though?

Seems everyone rates him...which is good.

...but if he is free to leave / has no contract for 2023, that is def not good.

Good posts above...does anyone know his actual contract status though?

Seems everyone rates him...which is good.

...but if he is free to leave / has no contract for 2023, that is def not good.
At this stage I believe he has no contract next year. However, I am thinking there would be some dialogue between the club and his management that we want to keep him in some capacity (you don't put a Flegg eligible player up to NSW Cup for no reason).

I guess the type of contract (train and trial, another development year or Top 30) he receives might depend on his form over the next couple of months. This is probably similar to Tumeth. Api Saukuru was the only one who has 2 development years locked into his deal.

Could/should we be paying them some of our First Grade salary cap money like we did with all the young brigade coming through on 2004? I could stand losing a lot more if we knew some of the money was being used to retain the best of our juniors.

Could/should we be paying them some of our First Grade salary cap money like we did with all the young brigade coming through on 2004? I could stand losing a lot more if we knew some of the money was being used to retain the best of our juniors.
I think that is what Sheens did when he was coach. Our younger players were paid from the NRL cap to prevent them being poached by the bigger cllubs.

At this stage I believe he has no contract next year. However, I am thinking there would be some dialogue between the club and his management that we want to keep him in some capacity (you don't put a Flegg eligible player up to NSW Cup for no reason).

I guess the type of contract (train and trial, another development year or Top 30) he receives might depend on his form over the next couple of months. This is probably similar to Tumeth. Api Saukuru was the only one who has 2 development years locked into his deal.
Hopefully it is a priority, as other clubs can come in at any moment.

O'Kane looks a potential topliner, whilst Saukuru looks miles away from being an NRL player. Strange.

O'Kane still has a way to go, but yes he's currently uncontracted in 2023. He needs to develop physically and fill out if he's going to be able to be one of the small backrowers in the modern game. He may have been offered a 2 year dev contact but turned it down, hoping to prove himself this year and get an NRL deal.
Not good having so many of our youngsters off contract though. The fact both Tumeth and O'Kane have strong ties to the Tigers should see them stay loyal so long as a decent offer is put forth.
He's also missed 3-4 games so far with injury so we don't want to throw him in against the big boys until his body is ready for it

O'Kane still has a way to go, but yes he's currently uncontracted in 2023. He needs to develop physically and fill out if he's going to be able to be one of the small backrowers in the modern game. He may have been offered a 2 year dev contact but turned it down, hoping to prove himself this year and get an NRL deal.
Not good having so many of our youngsters off contract though. The fact both Tumeth and O'Kane have strong ties to the Tigers should see them stay loyal so long as a decent offer is put forth.
He's also missed 3-4 games so far with injury so we don't want to throw him in against the big boys until his body is ready for it
Thanks for the update BB.

Update:
Anyone know what is going on with O'Kane?

I saw him there today next to Brooks. He is often at functions. He has the most NRL build of any of our pathways players...

Yet, even the Pom never mentions him?

Anyone know what the story is? Is he hurt? Unwanted?

Update:

I saw him there today next to Brooks. He is often at functions. He has the most NRL build of any of our pathways players...

I was wondering who that was.

Update:

I thought the Pom's update said he was leaving but I could be wrong...he also said Tumeth was staying but then another poster suggested that was incorrect too.

Back