I long for go forward

sjtiger

That's all I ever want to see from my forwards;

NEVER get it though!!!!!!!

I know player management has been handled awfully, but really, other than galloway & ellis, do any of our forwards go "forward" & bend opposition lines?

Im sick of watching the majority of our forward pack making 20-30 metres in a set of 6.
This has been going on for a long, long time, so recent issues not an excuse.
New forwards please.
:pray:

Cannot argue with this. Constant source of frustration for me too
\
\
Posted using RoarFEED

Until we have a good forward pack laying the foundation, we are going to struggle in the new, slow-motion format for the play-the-ball in today's game. Watching games on TV this afternoon was like watching grass grow, the game was so slow! We need good go-forward from the forwards.

I think we get good go forward regularly now.

I don't think our forwards have been the problem at all.

Our lack of go forward is due to the lack of momentum early in our sets .
It is due to our horrendous kicking game which sees us coming from our 10 metre on almost every set of six as the opposition is usually starting their sets of six from the thirty metre line and end up on our twenty by the time the sixth tackle comes along
Teams know they can play a compressed line as we are unlikely to attack from deep in our own half .
If our kicking game improves we will get better field position which will stop teams playing a compressed line which will create more space in the centre of the ruck .

I do agree with what you are saying happy tiger, although it is hard to have an effective field position kicking game when you are constantly trying to kick from the 30 metre mark all the time.
True, our field position kicking game & attacking kicking game in the opponent's half is horrendous.

Agreed. As I said, in my Tiger Disarray post, our forwards just don't bend the line. We need hard, no nonsense running with quick (if possible) play the balls for at least the first three tackles.

@sjtiger said:
I do agree with what you are saying happy tiger, although it is hard to have an effective field position kicking game when you are constantly trying to kick from the 30 metre mark all the time.
True, our field position kicking game & attacking kicking game in the opponent's half is horrendous.

We are ok once we get field position ,but once we lose it unless we get a helping hand ie penalty we lose the battle . In the first 5 minutes of the Dogs game you could see us losing the forward battle . And the reason we lost field position 9 times out of ten is either a stupid turnover or a garbage kick SJ :brick:

Only Ellis and Galloway do this on a consistent basis. The rest do not.

There is a reason why Heighington and Gibbs are being let go, as two examples. Yes their work rate is high but its all about quantity and not quality and neither of them punch or dent the line consistently.

Blair isnt a metre eater, he's a second phase player, a link between forwards & backs. Similar to how O'Neill played for us. He will hit the line close to the tryline….but not much when metres are needed

@happy tiger said:
Our lack of go forward is due to the lack of momentum early in our sets .
It is due to our horrendous kicking game which sees us coming from our 10 metre on almost every set of six as the opposition is usually starting their sets of six from the thirty metre line and end up on our twenty by the time the sixth tackle comes along
Teams know they can play a compressed line as we are unlikely to attack from deep in our own half .
If our kicking game improves we will get better field position which will stop teams playing a compressed line which will create more space in the centre of the ruck .

I agree whole heartedly, our poor kicking as made the forwards job much harder

I really really hate how we keep on playing sideways..all I want to see is the big boys punching up the middle
\
\
Posted using RoarFEED

I dunno -I like them spreading it in our twenty on tackle 2 or 3 when the opposition least expect it, when the passes are sticking we generally make ground out wide, its exciting when it comes off.
Payten to Fulton, off to marshall drifting,drifting showing showing putting Lawrence into a gap and slipping it to Lote who scorches down the sideline. Oooohh aahhh

@innsaneink said:
I dunno -I like them spreading it in our twenty on tackle 2 or 3 when the opposition least expect it, when the passes are sticking we generally make ground out wide, its exciting when it comes off.
Payten to Fulton, off to marshall drifting,drifting showing showing putting Lawrence into a gap and slipping it to Lote who scorches down the sideline. Oooohh aahhh

Ink but as every good judge will tell you (and it so true) Sterlo in particular " You must earn the right to go sideways .
Half the time we don't even bother to try and earn it and that is why we are having less than 50% completions and making 350 + tackles week in week out . Looks great if it works , but doesn't work very often and explains why we are in the position we are in up that magical creek in that barbed wire canoe in croc infested waters .

It is great to go wide quickly when the opposition don't expect it - the trouble is they do expect it!

No doubt the attacking style of WT over the past years is exciting but I think the team has come to rely on it rather than have a good balance in attack.

Poor kicking game - and chase - must take some blame. But I am also sick of the consistent lack of punch in our hit-ups. Sick of the dud inside passes, the standing starts, and being dominated in tackles.

Is it players or coaching style? Well I guess we will find out next year when most of these less than average ball runners are wearing a different coloured strip.

@innsaneink said:
Blair isnt a metre eater, he's a second phase player, a link between forwards & backs. Similar to how O'Neill played for us. He will hit the line close to the tryline….but not much when metres are needed

Blair made 107m in the first half on saturday night.

@851 said:
@innsaneink said:

Blair made 107m in the first half on saturday night.

Really?
That means he made 27m in the 2nd half

Back