I need help!!!

Jazza

Gday everyone.

As some of you may know I'm a big sports fanatic!

I am currently unemployed and today I attended an open day at Macleay College in Sydney to do a Sports Management and Marketing course.

I already have a Diploma in Business Management (Yet still can't get a job! :unamused: ) so if I do the course there will be some exemptions for me in some subjects.

I would like to do the course so that I can gain employment at a sporting organisation however the cost to do the course is 22k which has left me in a situation of weighing up the cost with the benefits.

The course doesn't start until next year so in the meantime I will still look for employment and obviously if I do find fulltime work before then, then I wont do the course until later on.

I am just wondering if there is anyone out there who has gone to Macleay college or done a sports management course or is currently employed at a sporting organisation, what advice you have, are there many opportunities available in these fields, etc.

Any info would be well appreciated, thanks!

steven_tiger

Sorry to say mate but if you are up for a job against another bloke with a degree, the bloke with the degree will win out 99% of the time.

I did a Bachelor of Sports Media at the Uni of Canberra. It opened lots of doors, and many of my friends have great jobs as a result (ABC, Canberra Times, Touch Australia etc). A know people that did the sports management degree too, and they are doing well.

If you are going for a career (that isn't a trade) I think a uni degree is the way to go.

Red_Rugby

Jazza

Don't waste your time with a diploma.

One of my best mates is the main man at Sky Sports. I caught up with him a couple of weeks ago when he happened to be recruiting. The calibre of the applicants was amazing and they all had degrees, if not double degrees. They had short-listed from more than 200 applicants and the job wasn't even advertised, it was simply a word of mouth thing.

Macquarie Uni would be my recommendation, but I understand that its pretty difficult to be accepted into the course.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Hope it all works out for you.

Jazza

Thanks for the advice guys.

Its funny how things turn out, I just got myself a fulltime job, its as a trainee manager, its not sports related but I dont mind.

Its on a trial basis at the moment, so I guess for now, unless I fail the trial period, I wont be doing this sports management course!