Internal rumblings?

Jazza

Wests Tigers star Benji Marshall upset over being fined

* By Josh Massoud

INTERNAL rumblings are being blamed for Wests Tigers' dramatic nosedive from the top eight, with Benji Marshall believed to be at odds with other senior players after being fined for ill-discipline.

Marshall was upset when fined a four-figure sum for running late to a recovery session after the Tigers' Anzac weekend loss to Penrith.

Wests Tigers then produced an untidy display in the following week's defeat to the Roosters, which was followed by Sunday's Heritage Round implosion against South Sydney that also featured a sadly out-of-touch Marshall.

The 50-10 SCG massacre was arguably the joint venture's worst performance since inception a decade ago, and has increased the pressure on coach Tim Sheens to break a four-year finals drought.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Marshall ran late on the Monday after the Penrith loss, and that club officials consulted other senior players about an appropriate penalty. A fine was eventually decided upon but, according to a source close to the club, the Kiwi skipper was unhappy about his teammates' input.

"He was disappointed about the fine, and especially the fact some of the other players were involved in making the decision," the source said.

After an impressive start to the year that delivered four wins in their opening five clashes, the Tigers now face a season-defining trip to Newcastle on Friday as they seek to avoid a fifth straight defeat.

Their cause suffered further damage yesterday when Liam Fulton (shoulder) and Blake Ayshford (groin) were both ruled out for at least four weeks, joining Keith Galloway, Jason Cayless and Tim Moltzen in the black and gold casualty ward.

Tigers CEO Stephen Humphreys refused to comment publicly about Marshall's fine, but conceded the team's effort against Souths was "unacceptable".

"I think what happens in our workplace should stay there, so I'm not going to make any public
comments," Humphreys said. "It's an in-house matter between employer and employee."

Asked if he was concerned about team morale and relations between players in the wake of Sunday's flogging, Humphreys replied: "The performance was out of character and clearly unacceptable.

"The captain and coach have apologised unreservedly.

"We expect to see immediate improvement this week.

"There were no obvious under-currents or morale issues.

"But when you've got a group of 30 guys who spend 11 months together there's going to be some highs and lows, and this is a low that we need to work our way out of."

Marshall's manager Martin Tauber last night said he knew nothing about the fine.

"We don't talk about those types of things, but if Benji was upset then he didn't tell me when I met him last Saturday," Tauber said.

The mercurial Kiwi skipper made a series of uncharacteristic errors that led directly to Rabbitohs tries, but he was far from alone in having a poor game.

Barely any Tigers were able to walk off the hallowed SCG turf with their heads held high, and the players later struggled to nominate a best-on-ground for the team.

These things normally pop up around the time of a bad loss so its hard to know how credible the story is.

But Benji has been very quiet the last few weeks, like his mind isnt on the job.

Kul

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Leader
if you hadn't already caught onto the subtle hints that various people have been dropping on here over the past few weeks, then hopefully this article will start to make it obvious.

you know what they say… where there is smoke there's fire

magpie_mania

@kul said:
if you hadn't already caught onto the subtle hints that various people have been dropping on here over the past few weeks, then hopefully this article will start to make it obvious.

You know what they say… Where there is smoke there's fire

thankyou kul.as i said previously benji and robbie need to learn that being teammates extend further than just a playing field being at odds ''socially" with teammates who know better does not work.there are two players in particular who were not happy with benjis exploits.its not the first time theyve been at odds and the main bloke in question is the bloke with the best attitude in the club.without naming names in one corner you have this guy who single handedly bust his ass each week and then in the other corner you have a mercurial talent that thinks training is a part time gig.robbie has selfish issues to deal with also.origin aspirations ok but not where it means you forget your tiger teammates names.these blokes bleed each and every week.

G

@magpie mania said:
@kul said:

You know what they say… Where there is smoke there's fire

thankyou kul.as i said previously benji and robbie need to learn that being teammates extend further than just a playing field being at odds ''socially" with teammates who know better does not work.there are two players in particular who were not happy with benjis exploits.its not the first time theyve been at odds and the main bloke in question is the bloke with the best attitude in the club.without naming names in one corner you have this guy who single handedly bust his ass each week and then in the other corner you have a mercurial talent that thinks training is a part time gig.robbie has selfish issues to deal with also.origin aspirations ok but not where it means you forget your tiger teammates names.these blokes bleed each and every week.

Some of us know who you are referring to magpie mania, and I feel sorry for him. This petty squabbling amongst the players is slowly derailing the Tigers season and while the players may say in public that they support Sheens, he'll be looking for another job at the end of the season if the team doesn't pull their finger out.

tiger05

Interesting. I would have thought Benji would be a real good trainer.

Also the article in the SMH seems to state that there is nothing wrong apart from Sheens about to get the sack (which is probably a good thing).

prattenpark

the bit that gets me is the statement that Marshall made 'uncharacteristic' errors on Sunday!!! they were nothing out of the ordinary, there was just more of them then usual.
it's clear all is not well at tiger town, you could sense it during the warm up, and in the way they played - they didn't play for each other or pull together and dig deep. they just wanted the game to end.

Snake

These no doubt Sheens is finished this year if not making the 8 he will not be coaching next year it would be financial suicide to keep him and might I say when calculations are made that we can't make the 8 before seasons end could be gone as well.

triserratops

Has it ever occured to anyone but me that this is the only way the players can revolt against a coach that is out of touch and unwanted! if they lose…he goes!

If anything.........I am barracking for us to miss the 8 if it means this will happen:

"Maybe dis-jointment will eventually bring enjoyment and re-employment in some roles!"

The Smoke- 2 Consecutive dis-interested performances
Fire-Heads will roll ( I believe that the Tigers will keep losing until sheens goes!)
Water- Unfortunatley this is where the fans come in.....tears for a few years!
Wind- The storm has come in and gone out taking away all that is rotten with this club currently!

TIGER

If that article is true and the reason Benji has been poor is because he copped a fine and is now having a sook and getting back at his team mates by deliberately playing bad or just mentally not having his head in the game then Sheens can take Benji with him when he leaves. We don't need this type of crap from players that think their sh*t don't stink. Cop the fine and man up Benji you spoilt little brat.

BRET

Not that I think it is ok to play poorly over a fine - but I can understand being upset that fellow employees had a say in your punishment from your employer. I certainly wouldn't be impressed.

supercoach

Its funny when a club is winning eight players could be late for training and you would not hear a whisper, when your loosing all the press is negative. Every jurno is looking to put the boot in. The old story they dine out on you when your up and boot you when your down. I just hope The board,the CEO,the coach and the players are all reading this stuff and react to it on the field

Alf_Duguid

When the team is winning, "All the boys are tight", "We are like one big family", "We hang out socially" etc etc

When a team is losing "So & So doesn't like so & so", "Player A fined for being late to training" etc etc

It's par for the course

tigerdre

@Kul said:

you know what they say… where there is smoke there's fire

Kul just a question.On sunday morning you posted that there would be a late withdrawl of a senior player come game time.
Was Marshall the player you where refering to??

If there is in fighting within the club between players than this is another reason why Sheens is not doing his job at our club
This is going into the 3rd season where this in-fighting has continued.Its up to Sheens to smooth things out & get the players back into a winning mentality

BRET

My mail is there was a fight before the game (verbal) between certain people within the club. Perhaps that was the reason someone almost didn't play.

Tigerdave

this seems to have been going on for a good couple of years now, if not longer and yes Sheens should have been the one to sort it ages ago.

KingOvKingz09

… if he's just having a sook... replace him for taumata.... give him a few weeks in NSW cup.... little baby

BRET

@Tigerdave said:
this seems to have been going on for a good couple of years now, if not longer and yes Sheens should have been the one to sort it ages ago.

Actually I remember hearing a story from someone who is in the loop about a falling out between Benji and someone else, but my memory is shocking, I can't remember the details about it. I think it was around the time of that nightclub incident. Does anyone else remember it? Pretty sure it was discussed here at the time. I wasn't the only one that knew of the issue. Damn memory of mine.

Ed_Reschs

if the players were allowed in the pub like they were back in the days of Dallas, Les, Blockie and alike this would have all been sorted out by now. instead now they carry on like the local sheilas tennis club.

Centaur

@Ed Reschs said:
if the players were allowed in the pub like they were back in the days of Dallas, Les, Blockie and alike this would have all been sorted out by now. instead now they carry on like the local sheilas tennis club.

Hear hear.