Isaiah Papali’i #265

Court isn't always for the people in the right...
He's part of a players union mate

- I think all and sundry are under-estimating how this can potentially play out.
The only reason he'll be here - Is if we can convince him that he should.
If he's convinced otherwise, I'm telling you - He just won't be here.
He'll leave it to his manager and the RLPA to deal with the mess when he's OS for world cup, Or on Holidays... He won't be here and it won't affect him a bit.
It will become a mental health problem and we'll get shafted.
Yep this is how I also think things will play out.

Well we really should park this discussion until IP actually (a) joins, or (b) does not join.

Right now he's going to play finals for Eels and we should stop with the hand-wringing until a decision has been made.

This is different to the Blair signing, where we sacked the coach after he arrived, but the result could be similar.
I hope Papali’i continues to play good footy wherever he plays.

I wonder if Ryan Matterson ever spoke to Isaiah about Madge? Madge was apparently the reason why Matterson left us. Maybe he could put in a different perspective on this whole thing e.g. 'I would have preferred to play under Sheens than Madge." Unfortunately I think he would keep his trap shut as he wants him to stay.

I wonder if Ryan Matterson ever spoke to Isaiah about Madge? Madge was apparently the reason why Matterson left us. Maybe he could put in a different perspective on this whole thing e.g. 'I would have preferred to play under Sheens than Madge." Unfortunately I think he would keep his trap shut as he wants him to stay.
Yeah imagine that.

"Mate I dunno what you're worried about Madge was a weiner. Definitely go to the Tigers now."

I think Matterson should keep his trap shut as he is lucky to be staying himself.

The rate at which players are deserting the sinking ship at Parramatta is the reason that his dumb arse is being saved because it wasn't that long ago that he was unwanted.

Last edited:
I think Matterson should keep his trap shut as he is lucky to be staying himself.

The rate at which players are deserting the sinking ship at Parramatta is the reason that has saved his dumb arse is being saved because it wasn't that long ago that he was unwanted.
🎯

It looks like Riccio might have him at $1.50 or shorter to stay at Eels?

“This is based on the fact that there’s still no clear definitive situation surrounding Isaiah Papali’i’s move to the Tigers,”

“We know that Papali’i doesn’t want to go to the Tigers, both clubs are acutely aware of that." -The Daily Telegraph’s David Riccio told SEN 1170 Breakfast on Friday.

I don't understand what his problem is?
He was expecting Madge to be coach, but we replaced him with Tim Sheens for the first 2 years of his contract, then Benji takes over.
OK sure, he doesn't know who Benji will report to or how he will handle the job because its all riding on his fast track 2 year apprenticeship , and because Robbie will be leaving with Sheens. We need to put that uncertainty aside and focus more on winning games and playing finals.
Look, I know we haven't played finals for 10 years and we're hot favourites to win the spoon, but that doesn't mean we cant do it? Right?
Geeze, he was on $150k and we showed him that we valued his ability with a 400% pay rise, fair enough Eels now have the cap space to match it, but it was Wests Tigers who forced their hand.
I just don't understand why he's having doubts?
Is it about Benji's coaching record? or his longevity? He's on a 5 year contract. Ok, he's possibly thinking there's a golden handshake in there? But c'mon? Give it a chance to marinate?

No guarantees signing a player twelve months in advance. Dumb system by the NRL and really is a disadvantage for lower placed clubs whilever players see it as being perfectly acceptable to backflip on contracts if they change their minds.

If sacking Madge costs us Papali’i it will confirm that decision in the hall of fame in of terrible decisions this club has made.

I can see it now:

“Papali’i will remain at Eels but Kelma will be staying after all so we’re even”

It looks like Riccio might have him at $1.50 or shorter to stay at Eels?

“This is based on the fact that there’s still no clear definitive situation surrounding Isaiah Papali’i’s move to the Tigers,”

“We know that Papali’i doesn’t want to go to the Tigers, both clubs are acutely aware of that." -The Daily Telegraph’s David Riccio told SEN 1170 Breakfast on Friday.

I don't understand what his problem is?
He was expecting Madge to be coach, but we replaced him with Tim Sheens for the first 2 years of his contract, then Benji takes over.
OK sure, he doesn't know who Benji will report to or how he will handle the job because its all riding on his fast track 2 year apprenticeship , and because Robbie will be leaving with Sheens. We need to put that uncertainty aside and focus more on winning games and playing finals.
Look, I know we haven't played finals for 10 years and we're hot favourites to win the spoon, but that doesn't mean we cant do it? Right?
Geeze, he was on $150k and we showed him that we valued his ability with a 400% pay rise, fair enough Eels now have the cap space to match it, but it was Wests Tigers who forced their hand.
I just don't understand why he's having doubts?
Is it about Benji's coaching record? or his longevity? He's on a 5 year contract. Ok, he's possibly thinking there's a golden handshake in there? But c'mon? Give it a chance to marinate?

It would be far more like it is Sheens that is the problem,he has not coached a team in the NRL and is over 70 and was sacked at his last 2 NRL clubs including us.Sheens has also been sacked from his coaching jobs in the UK and could not even get another position there.

If the club has any brains, they will come out immediately and put this to bed once and for all. The clubs needs to re-assure its fans, sponsors and playing group by clearly communicating that Paps will be honouring his legally binding contract, we will not be getting into a conversation about him re-negotiating with his management, Paps will be expected at training when required by the club, advising Parra and his management to go to hell with regards to the manipulation of his contract with us or will we see you in court for breach of contract and we will sue anyone found in breach. All of this while Paps plays for us for the next 3 years. If Paps ain't happy, too bloody bad, the new age NRL player sounds like they immature bratty pains in the asses. I don't give a shit about him and what he wants. If he knows he has to honour his contract, he will be forced to play well or he his going to screw his career.

If the club has any brains, they will come out immediately and put this to bed once and for all. The clubs needs to re-assure its fans, sponsors and playing group by clearly communicating that Paps will be honouring his legally binding contract, we will not be getting into a conversation about him re-negotiating with his management, Paps will be expected at training when required by the club, advising Parra and his management to go to hell with regards to the manipulation of his contract with us or will we see you in court for breach of contract and we will sue anyone found in breach. All of this while Paps plays for us for the next 3 years. If Paps ain't happy, too bloody bad, the new age NRL player sounds like they immature bratty pains in the asses. I don't give a shit about him and what he wants. If he knows he has to honour his contract, he will be forced to play well or he his going to screw his career.
Tc, unfortunately we cant force people to do what they don't want to do. That's the reality.
When Adam Blair arrived we demotivated him to the point where he wasn't giving that extra 10% that a team needs from each player to challenge for a top 4 spot.
He was considered by journos and everyone else to have been the flop of the decade. Blair himself admitted he wasn't happy at Wests Tigers.
Like Isaiah Papali'i he had a 3 year contract, in his final year his form picked up enough to get selected for the New Zealand National team where he played another 5 years to become the second most capped kiwi national player behind Rueben Wiki. So he's some sort of footballer.
I don't want to see the same thing happen to Papali'i.
We need to do what needs to be done in order to become the sort of club people want to be part of. We have a great opportunity to do that.

It would be far more like it is Sheens that is the problem,he has not coached a team in the NRL and is over 70 and was sacked at his last 2 NRL clubs including us.Sheens has also been sacked from his coaching jobs in the UK and could not even get another position there.
Its generally the unknown. The inconsistent reactionary behaviour of decision makers, the lack of a plan, that would have coaches and players concerned about their future with us.

That would just fuel the fire and exactly what parra want.

No release has been requested. Calm down.

Tc, unfortunately we cant force people to do what they don't want to do. That's the reality.
When Adam Blair arrived we demotivated him to the point where he wasn't giving that extra 10% that a team needs from each player to challenge for a top 4 spot.
He was considered by journos and everyone else to have been the flop of the decade. Blair himself admitted he wasn't happy at Wests Tigers.
Like Isaiah Papali'i he had a 3 year contract, in his final year his form picked up enough to get selected for the New Zealand National team where he played another 5 years to become the second most capped kiwi national player behind Rueben Wiki. So he's some sort of footballer.
I don't want to see the same thing happen to Papali'i.
We need to do what needs to be done in order to become the sort of club people want to be part of. We have a great opportunity to do that.

Club need to stand their ground matter what.

Melbourne play people who don't want to be in Melbourne all the time. Sure winning helps put we need to do the same regardless so players stop doing it to us.

Pap already said not the type of bloke to try the welfare card.

This is all generated by the slimeys . This is what they do . They did it with Stefano and now Papallii . We just need to hold firm .
There’s really nothing to see here . The eels are feeding the info to riccio , the manager has been promised a substantial raise if it happens so he’s all for it , so he agrees when riccio confirms the source , and on it goes .
At the end of the day , he signed a contract it’s all over red rover .

Court isn't always for the people in the right...
He's part of a players union mate

- I think all and sundry are under-estimating how this can potentially play out.
The only reason he'll be here - Is if we can convince him that he should.
If he's convinced otherwise, I'm telling you - He just won't be here.
He'll leave it to his manager and the RLPA to deal with the mess when he's OS for world cup, Or on Holidays... He won't be here and it won't affect him a bit.
It will become a mental health problem and we'll get shafted.

All true but that didn't stop the Storm from telling JAC he had to see out his contract, even though he wanted out on compassionate grounds.

Members online

Back