Isaiah Papali’i #265

But the ironic thing is Matterson wanted to leave because he did not like Maguire. What is he saying to Papalli now - 'Yeh, you're right. You signed to play for Madge, not someone else.' Total BS - it's all about the money. Parramatta now have the money to pay him what we offered. I don't care who wins the comp this year, as long as it isn't Parramatta.
That's exactly what I think... Don't care who win as long as Eels lose every game from now on.

Reactions: 851
A big part of signing for a club is the coach and staff you'll be playing under.

I don't totally blame the bloke, I'd be annoyed too if I took up a new job only to learn the joint had been turned upside down before I arrived.

No doubt this has been ticking along ever since Madge was shown the door. This was always the risk of moving him on when he'd started signing players for next season.

I don't understand the whole "let him rot in reserves" argument. You instantly waste your salary cap and make your first grade side less competitive. We've been a basketcase of a club in recent years from similar moves (Reynolds, Packer, McQueen) etc. It's time we move on from this.
People forget all those others were basically at the end of their careers. This guy is coming into the peak of his career with the opportunity for rep honours. He’s not going to kick stones, he will come and do his best because otherwise he is screwing himself for the rest of his career.

He’s signed a contract which is under his current value. Eels have now made an offer after low balling the kid. He’s going from a top 6 team to a rebuilding club.

Comes down to whether you have honour and your word means something. The Eels are a better option obviously.

I’ve resigned 3 times in my career and always received a counter offer from my original employer. I don’t renegotiate you show me the money upfront otherwise it’s too late. I’m in the minority in finance most stay and take the cash and reneg on their new contracts. Isaiah is no different to 95% of people but he’s run into wrong club at the wrong time. They can’t release him under any circumstances.

He’s signed a contract which is under his current value. Eels have now made an offer after low balling the kid. He’s going from a top 6 team to a rebuilding club.

Comes down to whether you have honour and your word means something. The Eels are a better option obviously.

I’ve resigned 3 times in my career and always received a counter offer from my original employer. I don’t renegotiate you show me the money upfront otherwise it’s too late. I’m in the minority in finance most stay and take the cash and reneg on their new contracts. Isaiah is no different to 95% of people but he’s run into wrong club at the wrong time. They can’t release him under any circumstances.
It is a foolish idea to accept an upgraded offer from an employer once you’ve made the decision to leave them.

Hindsight

IP was a bargain basement signing from the NZ Warriors to Parramatta , starting from 2021. Looking for a fresh new start, feeling NZ was overlooking his playing talents. By seasons end, in what was described at the time as a break out year and also the bargain signing of the year, IP won the Dally M Second rower of the year. Also by seasons end the WT and IP had agreed to a contract on about $1.9 million over 3 seasons , starting from 2023. It was viewed by many as a risky move by the WT as many thought he could be nothing more than a one hit, one season wonder. IP was fast in securing his future, while the WT were seen as paying overs for a unproven player. IP took the money, signing a rich contract, WT got IPs signature.

10 months later
Word comes out that IP is unhappy and wants to stay at Parramatta, the same team that saw no value at the time and were happy to let him go.
Alongside Api K , IP are now seen as the best all time double signings in the WT history. Management of the WT must be applauded.
One season and three WT second rowers later , he wants out.

IP does not have a get out clause, this is a confirmation.
IP will be a WT in 2023. Thank you WT.
The only opinion available to IP as it stands is to sit out 3 seasons.

TSK

Can't believe what a dope Tamou is, nearly put my foot through the TV when he was virtually telling Papali'i if he doesn't want to come let us know now so we can sign someone else.

Shut up and butt out Easter Island Head, you moron.
He’s another one of those journeymen who has played his whole career at another club or two surrounded by success, comes to the Tigers on a retirement package and either subconsciously or otherwise, just can’t commit to our club. These types just never buy into the club 100%.. They’re terrible signings.. Reynolds, Anasta, Matt Ballin.. the list goes on.

Just heard another POV regarding this.. keen to see what people's take on it is.

Basically, Tigers themselves have not held up their end of the bargain with others, we have sacked Sheens, Taylor and Madge in the last 10 years. We have essentially broken our contracts with them- these guys would've made life decisions on the basis that we will uphold the contract. Obviously, financially we have paid the price by paying them out.

IP though will lose nothing by breaking his contract. He's not going to lose his salary for the year. Someone will probably pay him the same or more $$ to be elsewhere.

Just heard another POV regarding this.. keen to see what people's take on it is.

Basically, Tigers themselves have not held up their end of the bargain with others, we have sacked Sheens, Taylor and Madge in the last 10 years. We have essentially broken our contracts with them- these guys would've made life decisions on the basis that we will uphold the contract. Obviously, financially we have paid the price by paying them out.

IP though will lose nothing by breaking his contract. He's not going to lose his salary for the year. Someone will probably pay him the same or more $$ to be elsewhere.
What to play in Melbourne so he can be closer to his daughter.

Rubbish , tigers sacked coaches but had to pay them out , that’s a lot different to IP situation. WT hold all the aces , either he plays or sits out 3 years

Rubbish , tigers sacked coaches but had to pay them out , that’s a lot different to IP situation. WT hold all the aces , either he plays or sits out 3 years
Idk bpt? You gotta know when to hold em, know when to fold em, know when to walk away...
It appears to me we should be going with plan B, while allowing wriggle room in the cap for the off chance Papali’i does join us for preseason.

Reactions: BZN
Idk bpt? You gotta know when to hold em, know when to fold em, know when to walk away...
It appears to me we should be going with plan B, while allowing wriggle room in the cap for the off chance Papali’i does join us for preseason.

Fox Sports banging on we need to spend the money elsewhere....
We've already STILL got money to spend elsewhere, And we've freed up even more.....

We have money to buy other the quality players, Without having to worry about where we'll spend Papallis' money....

They don't want us to have the upper hand.

I guarantee that the head coach contract includes KPIs that permit the club to sack the coach - that will be true in any results-driven business.

All employment contracts have termination clauses, dependent on the role (many of them detault to termination by mutual consent, or by lack of performance / misconduct).

So Tigers did not break any contracts, they initiated termination clauses within those contracts. This may sound like a technicality, but law is almost entirely about technicalities anyway.

Sacking non-performing coaches is normal for the NRL, there should not be any surprise or weirdness about this. Tigers are thoroughly non-unique in the number of coaches we have had in the last 10-20 years.

We've already STILL got money to spend elsewhere, And we've freed up even more.....

We have money to buy other the quality players, Without having to worry about where we'll spend Papallis' money....

Correct, we carry on regardless.
We’re going to keep twice the amount we would Papali’i regardless.
If I was keeping a book on him then he’s only about a 20% chance of coming.

Fox Sports don't want the saga to end, because it's cheap content. They want to keep talking about it; that's all they ever do, revisit controversies.

Which boggles my mind because there is 8 x 80 mins of footy to talk about every week, but they want to instead do a Women's Day / TV Week approach of soap opera drama-filled content.

So I refuse to watch NRL 360 for this exact reason.

I can cop the pre-game reviews, though many of their pundits are morons, because it focuses entirely on on-field.

I actually quite like The Fan, because Vossy just talks about interesting league stuff.

Fox Sports don't want the saga to end, because it's cheap content. They want to keep talking about it; that's all they ever do, revisit controversies.

Which boggles my mind because there is 8 x 80 mins of footy to talk about every week, but they want to instead do a Women's Day / TV Week approach of soap opera drama-filled content.

So I refuse to watch NRL 360 for this exact reason.

I can cop the pre-game reviews, though many of their pundits are morons, because it focuses entirely on on-field.

I actually quite like The Fan, because Vossy just talks about interesting league stuff.
Fox are drama queens. Typified by Vossy's screaming and yelling with every play.
If he was calling a 🐌 snail footy game there would be all sorts of mayhem, antenna coathangers, grapple tackles, slipping and sliding..goo everywhere, carnage..for the love of god.

Latest posts

Members online

Back