John Bateman Archives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly what I have heard. Brooks is highly rated by opposition teams. I would take the judgement of NRL coaches and senior NRL players over the Brooks haters on here that's for sure.
Ok I am in lets give Luke another go but behind this pack I want to see some aggression, taking the line on and please practice your in goal kicks all off season

I think Bateman still has heaps to offer the NRL. He proved in his time here he can be the best second rower in the comp. Hopefully back in Aus he can turn the ESL form around. He doesn’t look like a big guy, but he just has a real awkward style of attack that creates things and breaks out of nothing.

One thing that caught my eye was during one of the England games. England won the match and in the background you can see Bateman going absolutely nuts in celebration. Grabbing all his teammates and just enjoying himself. He looks like a super competitor and if he can bring that passion to a jersey every week he’ll be successful. That’s infectious within a team environment and pride and effort for mine is the basis of every good footy team in my opinion.

You can still lose, but scrap until the end and most fans will never knock effort.
My brother is a Canberra supporter, when i mentioned we might get Bateman he said he hates to lose and that is something we need more of at the Tigers. Bateman and Klemmer could really change that part of our culture for the better.

Are you referring to his running game mate? If so, you have played enough to know you feel like your sinking if your forwards are being dominated. Very hard to run under those circumstances. Don't get me wrong, I definitely think Brooks has failed in many areas, just not to the unreasonable extent some on here believe.
If you play smart your running game creates space , time and room for your ball playing ...when Brooks doesn't run the ball once in a half ....he or the plans are wrong .....you don't always need to be playing on the front foot to surprise the opposition ...as you'd understand an early spread with a defence that is rushing up and trying to dominate will find holes as quite often someone is being lazy out wide or even caught off guard ...if you ball play or continually turn runners on the inside or just play on the edges you become too easy to pick off

But if we get Bateman ...if we hear any excuses from Brooks ...it doesn't cut it anymore ...he will have options either side of the ruck and speed and or size on the wings ......he has a coach who is a naturally attacking coach and an edge coach (Marshall ) who will give him options in attack

I'm not pro or anti Brooks ......he deserves some luck because he has worked hard to improve and stayed loyal ......but this is his last chance ...I still think for his own career he probably should have got out last season ......

Well Luke as I say to my first day hires ...the ball is in your court now ...take this chance with both hands and own it like it's your last chance .......

Last edited:
My brother is a Canberra supporter, when i mentioned we might get Bateman he said he hates to lose and that is something we need more of at the Tigers. Bateman and Klemmer could really change that part of our culture for the better.
Yep back on Bateman. He is tenacious that's for sure. A trait that most of of our team this year lacked.

Who else is dangerous? Very one dimensional these past few years. We carried a backrower who took 3-4 hit ups a game. Criminal the expectations on Brooks.
Exactly....

Easy to shut down a player when he's the only one.

I think Bateman still has heaps to offer the NRL. He proved in his time here he can be the best second rower in the comp. Hopefully back in Aus he can turn the ESL form around. He doesn’t look like a big guy, but he just has a real awkward style of attack that creates things and breaks out of nothing.

One thing that caught my eye was during one of the England games. England won the match and in the background you can see Bateman going absolutely nuts in celebration. Grabbing all his teammates and just enjoying himself. He looks like a super competitor and if he can bring that passion to a jersey every week he’ll be successful. That’s infectious within a team environment and pride and effort for mine is the basis of every good footy team in my opinion.

You can still lose, but scrap until the end and most fans will never knock effort.
We just moved one like that on.

I merged this thread with 6 others... it's interesting to look at the first lot of posts where members were saying Sheens was after Bateman way back then and some were saying "not another backrower".
However, in the current situation, another backrower is needed since we lost kelma and lucy.
Bateman and Papa...wow what a combo. Could be the best in the league.

Things that stood out to me
- His footwork at the line coming back through the middle
- His kick chase - Barely a bomb or attacking kick that went up he wasn't within a whisker of when it come down...

He's a pikey - He'll shag your dog and have his way with your sister while you're getting him a beer....
Something we desperately lack

- His kick chase - Barely a bomb or attacking kick that went up he wasn't within a whisker of when it come down...

He's a pikey - He'll shag your dog and have his way with your sister while you're getting him a beer....

I'm not confident in this signing and this is good to hear. I'm not letting him over to my house though.

I like your optimism (y)
But we have heard through the years a number of excuses:
- Moses is too dominant for Brooks;
- Farah overplays Brooks;
- Marshall overplays Brooks;
etc.
So, I hope that you are right, but based on the above, I would not hold my breath.

I never heard the Moses was too dominant....

Either way - Even if he was, They were both babies coming through with no senior half
In a weak team, with poor coaching that lacked on field leadership...

I never heard the Moses was too dominant....

Either way - Even if he was, They were both babies coming through with no senior half
In a weak team, with poor coaching that lacked on field leadership...
He’s not normally but the comment was he’s too dominant for Brooks. There’s a difference

Reactions: 851
I merged this thread with 6 others... it's interesting to look at the first lot of posts where members were saying Sheens was after Bateman way back then and some were saying "not another backrower".
However, in the current situation, another backrower is needed since we lost kelma and lucy.
Bateman and Papa...wow what a combo. Could be the best in the league.
Things change a lot in 10 years

"the more things change, the more they stay the same"
Yeah and my guess is the NRL will grease the rules increasingly favouring open play which is how he and Benji are trying to set things up.

The Fonz looks like he isn't super invested in the outcome so that an edge which leads to successful outcomes.

100% do not invite this bloke over even if he wins us the comp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back