Juniors - Pathways General Discussion

Quite possibly the most idiotic thing I've read here, which is a big call considering some of the dribble.
So according to this logic the late bloomer is irrelevant? The Cody Walker type player?

It really hits the nail on the head of why the tigers ate crap. This must recruit young stars mentality rarely works, you only need to throw back to Moses Suli for a reminder.
Good clubs recruit hard workers and good characters, like the Storm, when they recruited Ryan Hoffman from under our nose.
The other problem with recruiting young stars is when you make the problem even worse when you constantly refer to them in the media as "the best crop of youngsters we've seen".
The damage is done when you keep putting kids in a higher standing than they deserve.
I think the truth is somewhere in between. Every club has hyped juniors coming through and every club debuts them early. It is true to most NRL players debut between 18-21, this doesn't mean they can't debut later and there will always be players who are slow burners and take time.

Melbourne have equally had their fair share, Inglis and Folau were two of the most hyped juniors I can remember (along with Hayne and Sualli). Both Inglis and Folau debuted for the storm at 18 and quickly established themselves as stars at a young age. Both had their issues off field. Curtis Scott was another hugely hyped junior and debuted at 19 for the Storm as did Munster, neither were considered "good characters" and both have had ongoing troubles. I think with the exception of Scott the Melbourne culture and strong leadership has helped. Smith and Slater both also debuted at 19 but generally both passed the "good character" test.

We have generally lacked strong leadership amongst the playing group, in upper club management and at times in the coaching department which is why I believe our youngsters have struggled. We now seem to have a stronger playing leadership group with Api, Klemmer, Bateman which should, along with Sheens set higher standards for the young "stars" and help them to develop with a level of accountability.

All clubs need young stars, particularly home grown to properly manage the salary cap while also being successful (the current Penrith model). It seems from his comments that Sheens is acutely aware of this, such is the focus on the homegrown youngsters.

Quite possibly the most idiotic thing I've read here, which is a big call considering some of the dribble.
So according to this logic the late bloomer is irrelevant? The Cody Walker type player?

It really hits the nail on the head of why the tigers ate crap. This must recruit young stars mentality rarely works, you only need to throw back to Moses Suli for a reminder.
Good clubs recruit hard workers and good characters, like the Storm, when they recruited Ryan Hoffman from under our nose.
The other problem with recruiting young stars is when you make the problem even worse when you constantly refer to them in the media as "the best crop of youngsters we've seen".
The damage is done when you keep putting kids in a higher standing than they deserve.
Yeah not really that idiotic.
I have never really discussed it much but my general rule of thumb is the better players usually debut by 22. I have never really split it into backs and forwards. And before you call me idiotic too, note how I used “usually”. When I read @boonboon post I knew someone would throw walker at him.
22 is my rule of thumb, doesn’t mean you can’t debut later and still have a great career in the nrl, just gets harder as you get older, coz there’s always that next gen coming through. Just my take on it.

KingRobbie = King Jr info.
Is the Wests side considered the better this year?
Do the stack one side or the other?
Or do they try and spread the talent for 2 good sides?
Like @Eternal Tiger said, they’re mainly consisted of players from the individual Wests and Balmain competitions.

So a player from Campbelltown will play for Wests, and a player from Leichhardt will play for Balmain.

It’s only the new recruits that have to be allocated a team, and they’re usually pretty even in doing that.

The Wests teams seem stronger on paper though in 2023.

Like @Eternal Tiger said, they’re mainly consisted of players from the individual Wests and Balmain competitions.

So a player from Campbelltown will play for Wests, and a player from Leichhardt will play for Balmain.

It’s only the new recruits that have to be allocated a team, and they’re usually pretty even in doing that.

The Wests teams seem stronger on paper though in 2023.

Noticed Ashton Large isn't on any
team lists. Was hoping he would
stick around with older brother Onitoni
and the gun Newington centre young Haemasi Makasini. Any word on him?

Looks like we will get to see Wests in action on Feb 11th through NSWRL TV (10am HM and 11.30 SG). Appears they have done the schedule up to and including round 5 for junior grades. No Balmain on the agenda yet.

The limited access sucks. Would be nice if we had a Tigers TV (similar to Rabbitohs tv) and streamed our games.

Screenshot_20230122-204044_Samsung Internet.jpg

This all depends on the success of the the first grade side but you do make a good point

these kids might get a debut but there not gonna be solid week to week first graders at the age of 19 or 20.

I prefer the Melbourne system you never see them bring in kids that are to young or not ready for first grade they let them develop into consistent rugby league players in the qld cup then once they earn there debut they are far more ready for it. In order to do this your first grade team has to be doing well in order for this system to work or your kids will just leave for a better club they have to see they will be successful once they receive there jersey
Melbourne seems to picks it's best 17 and then find spots for them

Did it with Cronk ...Slater ......etc

im a bit suss about these dad's on the coaching staff being on the pay roll,Mr Saukuru n his boy's etc. Eg ponga snr n son,yet on the other hand get all the families in there pulling wages in the COE FIIK
Joey Saukuru is an established junior rep coach.
He took the Canterbury SG Ball team to the final in 2018 and has been an assistant coach of Fiji.

Members online

Back