Juniors - Pathways General Discussion

innsaneink

March 23, 2022 — 5.00am

Somewhere, inside the high wire fence surrounding Lidcombe Oval, are the ashes of Tom Raudonikis, tenderly sprinkled by myself and his son, Lincoln.
Tom’s partner, Trish Brown, chose Lidcombe because it continues to be the home ground of the Western Suburbs Magpies, where the inspirational halfback played the majority of his games. The club will further honour him by naming the old grandstand the Tom Raudonikis OAM stand.

It is nearly a year since the No.7 died at 7am on April 7, aged 70.
Those who loved him, particularly Trish, see significance in seven, the number considered sacred by the ancients because it combines the square and the triangle. Tommy also lived all seven days of the week, committed some of the seven deadly sins and reacquainted himself with the Seven Sacraments.

Suffering from cancer, he began going to church about two years before he died. He had been educated by the nuns at Cowra and found solace in the thought of an afterlife where, perhaps, he would catch up with Arthur Beetson.
They were the inaugural captains in the first State of Origin match in 1980 and travelled together to speaking engagements. When Arthur died in December 2011, it was Tom, living nearby, who identified his body.

1648027769189.png
Tom Raudonikis lines up Cronlla’s Greg Pierce at Lidcombe Oval.

Perhaps Tom is teasing Arthur about stands named after them. Arthur, a former great of the silvertail, eastern suburbs-based Roosters, is being considered for the naming of a new stand at the rebuilt Sydney Football Stadium, while Tommy gets rundown Lidcombe!

However, both would wryly note that Manly’s Bob Fulton, who died six weeks after Tom, beat them both to a state funeral.

1648027721192.png
Tough customers: Magpies teammates Les Boyd and Tom Raudonikis

A small group gathered for the scattering of Tom’s ashes: former teammates Les Boyd from Cootamundra; Graeme O’Grady from the Tweed; Mick Liubinskas, who was president of Wests Magpies until recently and long-term Wests director Rick Wayde. Trish and Lincoln were obviously there, along with a seven-month-old boy, Tommy Masters, named by my son Sean after Tom.

I understand why people loved “Tommy Terrific”.

1648027739293.png
Lincoln Raudonikis, Roy Masters and grandson Tommy Masters.

Every game, he gave his all, even losing ones. He laid it all out there, made every part of his being vulnerable, and held on to nothing – not even that private, inner core of fortitude that can lift you above the harshest scrutiny. After a loss, his melancholy hung in the air as heavily as the smell of the change room liniment.
He instinctively understood the unspoken contract between player and the fan. The fan pays money expecting the player to perform at his best and the player responds, knowing he is being remunerated with the fan’s money.

He united the left and right. The left loved his empathy for the disadvantaged, while the right relished his disregard for political correctness. Trish would scold him with, “You can’t say that”, only for Tom to reply, “Why can’t I? It’s true, isn’t it?” Only the sneering elitist left ridiculed him, lampooning his speech, dress and lifestyle.

Even racehorses loved him. Singo and Tom owned a horse named “Fisticuffs”. It had five wins, three second places, three thirds and four fourths.

But, as Trish says, “When Tom passed, he didn’t even try.” Fisticuffs threw in the towel and now mooches around Singo’s farm. Trish takes Tom’s place in the punting club with Singo, who says, “She puts the [This word has been automatically removed] [radio] on Tommy’s ashes, so we both listen together.”
Most of Tommy’s ashes are now spread at Lidcombe. But where? Some suggested the Lidcombe dressing room because of the 60 Minutes face-slapping scenes. But the lockers are all gone now, sold off by auction to raise money. The portraits of the Magpie greats are still on the walls as inspiration to Wests State Cup and Ron Massey Cup teams. Maybe spread the ashes under the scoreboard?

RELATED VIDEO​

Rugby league legend Tommy Raudonikis has died aged 70 after a long battle with cancer. The former Magpies, Jets, Blues and Kangaroos star passed away this morning in a Gold Coast Hospital, just six days short of his 71st birthday.
0:46

NRL legend Tommy Raundonikis dead at 70

After all, every fan looking in that direction would be making a spiritual connection. Perhaps the centre of the field? To quote Les Boyd: “That’s where games are won and lost. That’s where the tough action is. And Tommy was always in the middle of it.”
As our small ashes spreading ceremony was coming to a close, Mick Liubinskas reminded me of a visit he made to Lithuania, the home country of his parents and Tom’s father, Wally.
Raudonikis in Lithuanian means a rare red mushroom. Mushrooms thrive after heavy rain. If Sydney has another March downpour, perhaps we’ll see little Tommies sprout up at Lidcombe.

RIP Tommy. God I miss those days, you gave it your all and no one could ever say you didnt try or tanked a game. Im sure you are having a laugh and a beer with Artie.

Got me all sentimental again. As I said last year when you died, a bit of me is broken now and will never be the same again. An inspiration to all of us old Magpies.

RIP Tommy. God I miss those days, you gave it your all and no one could ever say you didnt try or tanked a game. Im sure you are having a laugh and a beer with Artie.

Got me all sentimental again. As I said last year when you died, a bit of me is broken now and will never be the same again. An inspiration to all of us old Magpies.
Me too. I've liked a lot of Wests players but I loved Tommy. He is unique, there will never be another.

March 23, 2022 — 5.00am
Save
Normal text sizeLarger text sizeVery large text size
View all comments

Somewhere, inside the high wire fence surrounding Lidcombe Oval, are the ashes of Tom Raudonikis, tenderly sprinkled by myself and his son, Lincoln.
Tom’s partner, Trish Brown, chose Lidcombe because it continues to be the home ground of the Western Suburbs Magpies, where the inspirational halfback played the majority of his games. The club will further honour him by naming the old grandstand the Tom Raudonikis OAM stand.

It is nearly a year since the No.7 died at 7am on April 7, aged 70.
Those who loved him, particularly Trish, see significance in seven, the number considered sacred by the ancients because it combines the square and the triangle. Tommy also lived all seven days of the week, committed some of the seven deadly sins and reacquainted himself with the Seven Sacraments.

Suffering from cancer, he began going to church about two years before he died. He had been educated by the nuns at Cowra and found solace in the thought of an afterlife where, perhaps, he would catch up with Arthur Beetson.
They were the inaugural captains in the first State of Origin match in 1980 and travelled together to speaking engagements. When Arthur died in December 2011, it was Tom, living nearby, who identified his body.

View attachment 438
Tom Raudonikis lines up Cronlla’s Greg Pierce at Lidcombe Oval.

Perhaps Tom is teasing Arthur about stands named after them. Arthur, a former great of the silvertail, eastern suburbs-based Roosters, is being considered for the naming of a new stand at the rebuilt Sydney Football Stadium, while Tommy gets rundown Lidcombe!

However, both would wryly note that Manly’s Bob Fulton, who died six weeks after Tom, beat them both to a state funeral.

View attachment 436
Tough customers: Magpies teammates Les Boyd and Tom Raudonikis

A small group gathered for the scattering of Tom’s ashes: former teammates Les Boyd from Cootamundra; Graeme O’Grady from the Tweed; Mick Liubinskas, who was president of Wests Magpies until recently and long-term Wests director Rick Wayde. Trish and Lincoln were obviously there, along with a seven-month-old boy, Tommy Masters, named by my son Sean after Tom.

I understand why people loved “Tommy Terrific”.

View attachment 437
Lincoln Raudonikis, Roy Masters and grandson Tommy Masters.

Every game, he gave his all, even losing ones. He laid it all out there, made every part of his being vulnerable, and held on to nothing – not even that private, inner core of fortitude that can lift you above the harshest scrutiny. After a loss, his melancholy hung in the air as heavily as the smell of the change room liniment.
He instinctively understood the unspoken contract between player and the fan. The fan pays money expecting the player to perform at his best and the player responds, knowing he is being remunerated with the fan’s money.

He united the left and right. The left loved his empathy for the disadvantaged, while the right relished his disregard for political correctness. Trish would scold him with, “You can’t say that”, only for Tom to reply, “Why can’t I? It’s true, isn’t it?” Only the sneering elitist left ridiculed him, lampooning his speech, dress and lifestyle.

Even racehorses loved him. Singo and Tom owned a horse named “Fisticuffs”. It had five wins, three second places, three thirds and four fourths.

But, as Trish says, “When Tom passed, he didn’t even try.” Fisticuffs threw in the towel and now mooches around Singo’s farm. Trish takes Tom’s place in the punting club with Singo, who says, “She puts the [This word has been automatically removed] [radio] on Tommy’s ashes, so we both listen together.”
Most of Tommy’s ashes are now spread at Lidcombe. But where? Some suggested the Lidcombe dressing room because of the 60 Minutes face-slapping scenes. But the lockers are all gone now, sold off by auction to raise money. The portraits of the Magpie greats are still on the walls as inspiration to Wests State Cup and Ron Massey Cup teams. Maybe spread the ashes under the scoreboard?

RELATED VIDEO​

Rugby league legend Tommy Raudonikis has died aged 70 after a long battle with cancer. The former Magpies, Jets, Blues and Kangaroos star passed away this morning in a Gold Coast Hospital, just six days short of his 71st birthday.
0:46

NRL legend Tommy Raundonikis dead at 70

After all, every fan looking in that direction would be making a spiritual connection. Perhaps the centre of the field? To quote Les Boyd: “That’s where games are won and lost. That’s where the tough action is. And Tommy was always in the middle of it.”
As our small ashes spreading ceremony was coming to a close, Mick Liubinskas reminded me of a visit he made to Lithuania, the home country of his parents and Tom’s father, Wally.
Raudonikis in Lithuanian means a rare red mushroom. Mushrooms thrive after heavy rain. If Sydney has another March downpour, perhaps we’ll see little Tommies sprout up at Lidcombe.

thank you Sir

aint that the truth

makes me sick watching some ''efforts'' these days

Remembering Tommy​

Wests Tigers
Timestamp
Thu 7 Apr 2022

It's already been a year since we lost a great friend, Tommy Raudonikis OAM.

One year today, we lost a great friend, Tommy Raudonikis OAM.

A loveable larrikin. A rugby league legend. The life of any party.

Raudonikis remains an icon of the Western Suburbs Magpies, having played 238 matches in the New South Wales Rugby League, and is one of only two players to have made 200 first grade appearances for his beloved ‘fibros’.

He achieved the highest honours in the representative arena, playing over twenty games for both New South Wales and Australia. He captained his state in the inaugural State of Origin match and will forever be remembered for his famous ‘cattle dog’ cry.

Raudonikis was awarded an Order of Australia medal in 1982 and was named as a member of the Australian Rugby League’s 100 Greatest Players in 2007.

Tommy is fondly remembered by the rugby league community, and always will be. For those who knew him well, he is not just remembered, but sorely missed.
Tim Sheens was a huge fan of Tommy and became a good friend.

The multiple premiership-winning-coach says Tommy was ferociously competitive, “He would do anything to win, always wanting to get the better of his of his opponent, particularly with half backs.”

“There’s one story I’ve heard that Tommy was rooming with Steve Mortimer one tour, and threw Mortimer’s bags out of the room because he’d taken the wrong bed!”

Sheens was living England this time last year when Tommy passed away but has a constant reminder of the tenacious number seven in his wardrobe, “I knew Tommy well and we became good mates. In fact, I still have his 1974 test jumper, which he signed for me, in my wardrobe”

He was just a rookie under Raudonikis at Campbelltown but says he learned some life-long lessons, “ I think the one thing Tommy was really strong on was effort.

PS - If anyone missed the video, it can be seen below.

I'm gonna get sick of this buzzword over the next 3 years. At least we dont have to hear the word COE every second media release though.

Back