KARMICHAEL HUNT DEFECTION!!!!

stryker

It has been reported this morning that Karmichael Hunt has signed on with the new gold coast AFL team and will leave RL as soon as the side enters the comp.

What a clown!!! Discuss….....

I was at the footy show, seemed real to me as they asked the audience around her to shift.

This is OBVIOUSLY a load of crap though, pretty big (and sad) difference lads.

Karmichael is playing AFL next season and the Tigers will be 09 premiers! Keep it up :slight_smile:

Thought he wanted to experience new cultures?…When will these Guys front up and be honest with the public...!!!
He will fail and fade out of the public eye as an elite sportsman...Enjoy the GC culture K Hunt!

On Fox sporst news there was a headline that said he has switched to AFL…...gold coast,for real.

It's true…what about that....spose we are out of the running then...Oh well...next

DT Link:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/hunt-headed-to-afl-reports/story-e6frexni-1225755767113

All yet to be confirmed.

Will never happen :slight_smile:

Didn't bother reading the article. I'll believe it when I see it…

@Zaibatsu said:
DT Link:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/hunt-headed-to-afl-reports/story-e6frexni-1225755767113

All yet to be confirmed.

Will never happen :slight_smile:

Hats off to the person doing PR for the GC AFL team. As media stunts go this is a ripper…

It is official
\

Karmichael Hunt to depart Brisbane Broncos and join AFL
>
By staff writers
July 29, 2009
>
Brisbane Broncos rugby league star Karmichael Hunt is switching codes to play Australian rules after joining the Gold Coast Football Club, which joins the AFL competition in 2011.
>
He is expected to play rugby union and return to the Gold Coast in May 2010 to commence his development program with the Club.
>
It is the first time a rugby league international has switched to play Australian Rules.
>
Hunt said he wanted to stay playing sport at the highest level in Queensland.
>
“If I had to leave Brisbane then I preferred to change codes rather than change teams as I did not want to play against the Brisbane Broncos,” he said.
>
“For me this is about the challenge of playing AFL at the highest level. The Gold Coast Football Club has given me a great opportunity to be part of its journey to AFL in 2011.
>
“I played AFL as a teenager and I am really excited by the challenge to change codes and still play at the elite level and for a Queensland team in a national competition. I can’t wait.”
>
Gold Coast Football Club Chief Executive Officer Travis Auld said the recruitment of Hunt is a great coup for the football club.
>
“Karmichael Hunt is one of the most exciting sportsmen in Australian sport and a natural-born AFL footballer. We think he can be one of the elite players of the AFL. His potential to play the game has been confirmed by our recruiting staff led by Scott Clayton and the AFL’s talent division,” Auld said.
>
Hunt played some Australian Rules as a schoolboy in Brisbane, attracting the attention of Queensland AFL scouts, before joining the Broncos as a 17-year-old in 2004.
>
GCFC Coach Guy McKenna said he was very excited and impressed with what he has seen of Hunt.
>
“I’ve followed State of Origin, I know it’s not AFL football, but seeing how he moves, seeing how he hits, he’s going to bring another dimension to an AFL football team,” he said.
>
“Powerful, strong, quick and probably averages 23 tackles in a game. We’re lucky to average 40 in a whole side. He’s built for that, built for the physical demands of AFL football.
>
“Technically we are going to have do some work with him but that’s no different to some of the Irish players who have crossed over. We are probably at an advantage given he played competitive AFL football as a teenager, so he’s someone with a history in the game," McKenna said.
>
The move will intensify the fierce turf war between the strongest football codes in Australia, with rugby league in danger of suffering further raids on its most talented players, especially if Hunt makes a successful transition.
>
Fellow Test players Greg Inglis, Billy Slater and Israel Folau are other obvious targets for AFL clubs.
>
The Auckland-born fullback has since played 10 State of Origin matches for Queensland and 11 Tests for Australia.
>
With Hunt's contract with the Broncos up at the end of the 2009 NRL season, the 22-year-old's future has been a hot topic in recent months.
>
He knocked back a $1.2 million three-year deal from the Broncos earlier this year and his manager David Riolo has been overseas looking at his options.
>
Brisbane Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen says he's shocked to hear of star player Hunt's switch.
>
Cullen told ABC radio he had only heard media reports of the switch and Hunt's management had not been on touch with him.
>
"I was quite shocked," he said.
>
"We've had him since he was 15 and he's been playing with the club for the last five seasons.
>
"He's a 100-game player now. He's played Origin, he played for Australia, so he's been a success story in a very short period of time."
>
Cullen said it was a "coup" for the AFL.
>
"Good luck to them - they've snared a fine athlete," he said.
>
Cullen said he did not believe it would take fans away from league in Brisbane.
>
"With all due respect, someone will come along and take his place - they may not be immediately as good, but it's two different codes and I think (the fans) will stick with the codes," he said.
>
"He's someone who will be very attractive."
>
Cullen said there would be a Broncos position available for Hunt if the AFL did not work out.
>
with AAP

Couldn't happen to a nicer scum heap, traitor, deserter.

Good call to those other scum who offered him a walk-up into the Qld SOO team and the Australian team in return for him relinquishing his New Zealand heritage. No loyalty or values of any kind. At least Sonny-Bill never went back on his national heritage.

K Hunt, remembered as the biggest [This word has been automatically removed] in the game's history.

Even if it is official, how long do you reckon it would last? Long odds on more than one season, I reckon…

This is the craziest stuff I've heard for some time. I predict he will be such a dud in the VFL that he may not even make it on the field for the Gold Coast. What position would be play?

I just can't see it working

Good luck to him if it's what he wants to do. He's a good fullback but he's not the best running around. There will always be someone else ready to step up and take his place.

I reckon he'll play next year in the VFL, then one year (2011) in the AFL and be back in Rugby (either league or union) by 2012.

He's too short to play AFL. He'll get monstered. Guys like Inglis and Folau I can understand. But Hunt … eh.

Does anyone have a general figure on what a marquee player in the AFL, say a Chris Judd or Gary Ablett Jr would be getting paid per season? Hunt was offered $400,000 a season on a 3 year contract from the Broncos and turned it down ... if i was in my early 20s and was offered $400,000 a year I'd be over the moon!

@Paris Cobbs said:
Couldn't happen to a nicer scum heap, traitor, deserter.

Good call to those other scum who offered him a walk-up into the Qld SOO team and the Australian team in return for him relinquishing his New Zealand heritage. No loyalty or values of any kind. At least Sonny-Bill never went back on his national heritage.

K Hunt, remembered as the biggest [This word has been automatically removed] in the game's history.

When he got the Australian Fullback job after Mini went down despite being about 5th in line was one of the biggest crocks of mine, and dramatically cheapened the Australian jersey. He only got the spot so he couldn't switch back again if the kiwis beat the Aussies a few more times (like in the 2005 tri nations a few months earlier). Overrated from the day he walked into NRL, until the day he walks out.

Back