Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers

Tiger_Bond

**NRL transfer news: Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers to join North Queensland Cowboys**

Wests Tigers have been rocked as one of the club’s best players has asked for an immediate release to join an NRL rival.
Phil Rothfield

November 24, 2021 - 6:17PM

The Wests Tigers have suffered another massive recruitment blow, losing outstanding second-rower Luciano Leilua to the North Queensland Cowboys.
The giant edge forward has also asked for a release from the final year of his contract in 2022 to join the Cowboys in the new year.

Shattered Wests Tigers officials are planning to issue a press release on Thursday morning.

The Cowboys have used the money they saved after missing out on barnstorming Penrith Panthers forward Viliame Kikau to sign Leilua on a three-year deal.

The Daily Telegraph understands he will be paid $700,000 a season.

Whether Leilua is worth that much is debatable but the Cowboys officials were far more active to get the deal over the line.

It is known Leilua and his manager, Mario Tartak, have been disappointed with negotiations at the Wests Tigers for the last couple of months.

Little progress has been made since they began talks in August.

The signing of Isaah Papili'i from the Parramatta Eels last week on a three-year deal worth more than $600,000 a season was the catalyst for Leilua to look elsewhere.

He felt undervalued.

The Leilua camp insists coach Michael Maguire is not the problem despite the coach’s well publicised falling out with his brother Joey.

It has more to do with the fact Wests Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe has not once spoken to Tartak about the negotiations since August.

Wests Tigers director of football Tim Sheens claims he was unaware of the move until contacted by The Daily Telegraph on Wednesday evening.

“We knew the Cowboys were negotiating,” Sheens said. “It sounded like a damn good offer. They had money stashed away for Kikau.”

The signing is a huge boost for the Cowboys.

At his best Leilua isn’t a long way behind Kikau.

He was the Wests Tigers’ best forward and second only to Adam Doueihi as the club’s best player.

The Cowboys will officially announce his signing on Thursday.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-transfer-news-luciano-leilua-quits-wests-tigers-to-join-north-queensland-cowboys/news-story/6a46aa5fd1005422d8114053e0ef02cf

“It sounded like a damn good offer”

= good luck with the fat heap who can’t tackle

Not really sure how I'm gonna sleep tonight after this shocking news.

@rustycage said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1510460) said:

Watch some clips of Luciano, watch him sleeping when he should be moving up in defense.

@tigerap said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1510458) said:
He can mow the lawn on the hill for 2022….

He’d get Jim’s in for sure

@bagnf05 said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1510462) said:

Watch some clips of Luciano, watch him sleeping when he should be moving up in defense.

Agreed. Lazy slug. At $700k, he's won the lottery.

@rustycage said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1510464) said:

Will play four games, start to get press about not living up to his money then do an injury. You read it here first.

@bagnf05 said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1510465) said:

Will play four games, start to get press about not living up to his money then do an injury. You read it here first.

I was a fan for some time, but nothing ever changed. He became very predictable. Looked like he was running like a wild best, but it was all arms and hair. He wasn't really a threat at all. Defensively, well the less said the better.

@tiger_bond said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1510457) said:
NRL transfer news: Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers to join North Queensland Cowboys

Wests Tigers have been rocked as one of the club’s best players has asked for an immediate release to join an NRL rival.
Phil Rothfield
and
Sports Editor-at-large
2 min read

The Wests Tigers have suffered another massive recruitment blow, losing outstanding second-rower Luciano Leilua to the North Queensland Cowboys.
The giant edge forward has also asked for a release from the final year of his contract in 2022 to join the Cowboys in the new year.

Shattered Wests Tigers officials are planning to issue a press release on Thursday morning.

The Cowboys have used the money they saved after missing out on barnstorming Penrith Panthers forward Viliame Kikau to sign Leilua on a three-year deal.

Whether Leilua is worth that much is debatable but the Cowboys officials were far more active to get the deal over the line.

It is known Leilua and his manager, Mario Tartak, have been disappointed with negotiations at the Wests Tigers for the last couple of months.

The signing of Isaah Papili'i from the Parramatta Eels last week on a three-year deal worth more than $600,000 a season was the catalyst for Leilua to look elsewhere.

He felt undervalued.

The Leilua camp insists coach Michael Maguire is not the problem despite the coach’s well publicised falling out with his brother Joey.

It has more to do with the fact Wests Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe has not once spoken to Tartak about the negotiations since August.

Wests Tigers director of football Tim Sheens claims he was unaware of the move until contacted by The Daily Telegraph on Wednesday evening.

“We knew the Cowboys were negotiating,” Sheens said. “It sounded like a damn good offer. They had money stashed away for Kikau.”

He was the Wests Tigers’ best forward and second only to Adam Doueihi as the club’s best player.

Twal and Stef were our best forwards by a mile. Do these journos watch the sport?

@bagnf05 said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1510467) said:
@tiger_bond said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1510457) said:
NRL transfer news: Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers to join North Queensland Cowboys

Phil Rothfield
and
Sports Editor-at-large
2 min read

He felt undervalued.

Twal and Stef were our best forwards by a mile. Do these journos watch the sport?

Yeah.... Through the bottom of a pint glass.

@rustycage said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1510466) said:
@bagnf05 said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1510465) said:

I was a fan for some time, but nothing ever changed. He became very predictable. Looked like he was running like a wild best, but it was all arms and hair. He wasn't really a threat at all. Defensively, well the less said the better.

Had a good 2020. I’ll give him that. Guessing he then got caught up in the hype and forgot he had to train. Smashed the KFC and had a gap year.

Heartbreaking news (sarcasm). Anyway, all the best with that NQ.

@wt2k said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1510472) said:

Hot up there. He’d be a chafer too

@bagnf05 said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1510475) said:

Hopefully has a good supply of baby powder

@wt2k said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1510477) said:
@bagnf05 said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1510475) said:

Hopefully has a good supply of baby powder

He’ll spend 350K on Johnson and Johnson

I’d be happy if the club made him stay and fulfil his contract, my worry is he has that Moses feel about him people think he’s a turnstile now. Wait until he drags his bottom lip and arm grabs and just doesn’t plain aim up. If we could get someone adequate for him I’d be letting him go, he’s got his meat head brother in his ear what does that tell you.

Rather Blore on the edge anyways. Would of had Luciano off the bench. He's a 55-60 minute player at best.

550k max. I would of offered him 450k honestly.

Back