Lui growing in stature for Wests Tigers

G

Lui growing in stature for Wests Tigers
IAN MCCULLOUGH
June 5, 2010 - 11:14AM

AAP

Young Wests Tigers playmaker Robert Lui admits playing either side of Robbie Farah and Benji Marshall in the NRL is something he is still coming to terms with.

The 20-year-old halfback showed his growing maturity by slotting over the match-defining 71st-minute field goal in the Tigers' 19-12 win over Canterbury on Friday - a job that would usually fall to Farah or Marshall.

"Playing alongside Benji, Robbie and Lote Tuqiri is what I dreamed about as a little kid, and I am starting to feel more and more comfortable at first grade," Lui told AAP.

"For the field goal I just made sure that I called 'seven' and took control of the situation, that is my job and what I am in the team to do."

Tigers coach Tim Sheens has been a big admirer of the quietly-spoken halfback from Townsville for some time and although he is happy with his progress, said he still had a long way to go to reach his full potential.

"We have a three-pronged kicking game with the two Robbies and Benji and as a seven he has got to start standing up and doing those things, but as 20-year-old it is not easy to do that.

"He is gradually getting there, his best football is well ahead of him and again you can't ask too much more from him."

Sheens again heaped praise on workaholic second-rower Gareth Ellis, who produced another strong performance in conditions more akin to Salford than Sydney, after more than 78 millimetres of rain fell on ANZ Stadium in the 24 hours leading up to kick-off.

Ellis flew out of Sydney on Saturday to play for England against France in Leigh, near Manchester, on Wednesday, and Sheens said he was more than happy to allow the 29-year-old to represent his country.

"We let all of our other rep players play so I am not going to stop him, I think playing in a Test match will be good for him," Sheens said.

"He leaves nothing in the tank, he is scary, I would have to say from the imports, he is probably the best signing this club has ever made."

The Tigers have won their last three games to put their poor run of form, that included a 50-10 defeat by South Sydney last month, firmly behind them.

Sheens said his players had benefited greatly from the work of former Bulldogs mentor Steve Folkes, who is employed as the team's conditioning coach, but said the benefits of playing on three successive Fridays had been a huge factor in their recent run.

"Steve has been pushing them hard and does a good job, the other thing is the seven-day turnaround," Sheens said.

"Ask the Dragons from the first four weeks how good that is. You play on a Sunday and back up on a Friday in heavy conditions it is tough, and that is probably where the Bulldogs are right now."

"Three seven-day turnarounds make such a difference.

"You play on a Friday you are ready to go on Monday morning whereas other teams are sore as hell for two days and have then have two days to prepare."

I noticed he was doing a lot of the kicking last night. Thought he went pretty well.

Benji should never be allowed to do our long kicking. He's horrible. Short kicking … goes okay ... long kicking ... goes waaaaaaaayyy up high, then out on the full

Tigers coach Tim Sheens has been a big admirer of the quietly-spoken halfback **from Townsville**

Another one from QLD!

@Tiger_Al said:
Yeah isn't he from the torres straight or thursday islands???

I was in the Torres Strait last year and asked a local footy player about Robert Lui (it's a famous name up there) and the bloke said he was a'real good little player'…Thaiday's another TI name, same as Passi (from the Broncos)

Every game Lui's played ive noticed he has improved so so much…
his long kicking isnt all there yet but his short kicking for eg grubbers are excellent, weve scored a few tries alreayd this year off the back off Lui's grubbers in behind the line
his passing game is also getting better, the try he set up against the knights was superb no other word for it but pure brilliance..
his defence is pretty strong too
hopefully the tigers can hold onto him for 3-4 years, he'll come good with benji ... just my opinion though :slight_smile:

I was always a fan of Robert last year. With Darren Nichols at 7 last year, Robert always had the luxury of injecting himself at the right times. His biggest strength last year was his ability to go to the line. While we havnt seen much of this yet, I cant wait till he has more confidence. As I stated in a previous post, it is obvious to me that Robert doesnt yet feel apart of 'the' team, but this is growing in sections throughout games and he is few more weeks off having the luxury of over-ruling Robbie and Benji.

I believe by the time the Finals come around, every team will have a game plan to stop Benji Marshall. I think this might be the time when we see Robert stand up and become a dominant force within the team. Players coming out of the line to pressure Benji will be the time Robert should go to the line and keep throwing those passes, putting in little grubbers and try his luck every 6-8 times to go through it. He is big and strong in the upper body and legs, so this will be his greatest asset for a few years to come.

Take your time Robert, the line will open if YOU do the lead-up work!!!

I'm enjoying watching Lui's game evolve too. He didn't have a great start to last week's game but he bounced back. He's looking more and more a part of the team every week and, as has been stated elsewhere, his combination with Ellis is developing nicely.

And I must confess - I'm disappointed there wasn't one of Sheens' trademark comparisons, no "Rob could be the next…" I'm starting to look forward to them. Maybe we'll get one in a future article.

i know moltzen was the golden child around here, but i like seeing what Lui is going to do, some times it doesnt work, but the guys only young and when it works, like even the match winning field goal, its fun to watch.

keep it up mate

@Tiger Watto said:
I believe by the time the Finals come around, every team will have a game plan to stop Benji Marshall. I think this might be the time when we see Robert stand up and become a dominant force within the team. Players coming out of the line to pressure Benji will be the time Robert should go to the line and keep throwing those passes, putting in little grubbers and try his luck every 6-8 times to go through it. He is big and strong in the upper body and legs, so this will be his greatest asset for a few years to come.

Take your time Robert, the line will open if YOU do the lead-up work!!!

I'm with you mate. this guy is all class. he is the wild card this year.

Members online

Back