Lui

izotope

Someone had to start a thread!

Now i dont get a chance to watch much toyota cup matches?
Hows this kid go, what should we be looking out for :smiley:

Whats the opinions from people who regularly watch the toyota cup!?

Good angle running. Decent passing game. Nice short kicking game. Good fend and step. Mix between Inglis and Benji. Can be found out in defence though.

im amazed hes been selected at this point of the year, sheens had the chance to blood players last year when our season was gone and still persisted with the same old players, now when our season is on the line and we are the best chance of finishing in top 6 or better, he bloods a rookie half in a game we cant afford to lose, it doesnt make sense.

I swear sheens doesnt want us to succeed, it would be lest dispruptive to put hanbury at FB and keep moltz and benji in the halves then to blood a rookie while he is great in attack at U20s level, cant tackle to save his life pretty much.

I hope he goes good and i hope im wrong but IMO at this stage of his career he mimmicks benji a bit with his decision making and we can afford 2 loose cannons against any oppposition

yes its a big gamble, having him there.
maybe Tim Sheens sees Moltzen as a better fullback than Hanbury :question: .

Big gamble. As good a time as any I suppose.
The kid certainly has the ability in most facets of his game.
I reckon he'll make a big success of it & whatever happens it makes for a seriously exciting week waiting to see what happens!!!

I don't think it's such a big gamble. Against arguably the worst team in the comp at the moment, why not give the kid a shot?

The only other forseeable options were Lawrence FB / Collis C or Morris HB, the latter which everyone complained about for weeks and weeks and weeks.

So either way it's a gamble when one of your core attacking positions is weakened through injury.

If Lui cannot manage, we can switch Moltzen to half in attack and defend fullback, kind of like he did last week.

@jirskyr said:
I don't think it's such a big gamble. Against arguably the worst team in the comp at the moment, why not give the kid a shot?

The only other forseeable options were Lawrence FB / Collis C or Morris HB, the latter which everyone complained about for weeks and weeks and weeks.

So either way it's a gamble when one of your core attacking positions is weakened through injury.

If Lui cannot manage, we can switch Moltzen to half in attack and defend fullback, kind of like he did last week.

it's a gamble because we only get one crack at a team that's struggling, we'll probably win anyway but what happens next week if he's not up to scratch?
We than have to make a decision that could have been done this week and built on for next week.
i suppose what i'm trying to say is that the odds are greater that Lui will work, while leaving Moltzen at halfback we know is a proven winner while we have guys that can play fullback like Hanbury and Lawrence.
It's a gamble, make no mistake, we haven't played the odds on this one. It sort off irritates me because when we should have been blooding guys like Lui and others we were playing the same old squade, now that we should play the odds we're not.

Any way i really hope Lui has a blinder and stars. I've certainly been impresed with him in the under 20's.

The promising thing about Lui is his organisational skills and kicking game. He's certainly not the Ben Barba type of U/20 player who is all flash no substance. The poise Lui shows for an U/20 player is sometimes remarkable. I don't think he'll look out of place - certainly not against the Cronulla halves.

He's potentially a very, very good player. You can see he's class in the TC.

However, despite the fact he looks quite old (he's kind of like the Greg Oden of the Toyota Cup :laughing: ) he is still a kid.

I've also noticed that he is just about always cramped up post game…when the other guys are doing stretching, Robert is normally having his calves massgaed / clearly very tired.

First grade is a big call at this stage...but it is against a very poor Sharks team + Morris is on the bench and can cover things if anytthing dramatic goes wrong. It's a good time to play him.

We've all criticised Tim this season...everyone...but he has done a good job with the youngsters. Moltzen is going to be a star, Ayshford looks the goods and Lui will be an excellent player soon enough. That's 3 top class backs long term.

The Ben Barba example above is a perfect one of a coach NOT putting a young guy in at the right time.

@Icon said:
@jirskyr said:

it's a gamble because we only get one crack at a team that's struggling, we'll probably win anyway but what happens next week if he's not up to scratch?
We than have to make a decision that could have been done this week and built on for next week.
i suppose what i'm trying to say is that the odds are greater that Lui will work, while leaving Moltzen at halfback we know is a proven winner while we have guys that can play fullback like Hanbury and Lawrence.
It's a gamble, make no mistake, we haven't played the odds on this one. It sort off irritates me because when we should have been blooding guys like Lui and others we were playing the same old squade, now that we should play the odds we're not.

Any way i really hope Lui has a blinder and stars. I've certainly been impresed with him in the under 20's.

Spot on Icon…...we need to get it right and we need to get iot right yesterday, now is NOT the time to be buggering around experimenting here and there, whatever happens the decisions been made i hope its persisted with, the last thing the bloke needs is a chance and then be dropped and shattered

@cnx_tigers said:
He's potentially a very, very good player. You can see he's class in the TC.

However, despite the fact he looks quite old (he's kind of like the Greg Oden of the Toyota Cup :laughing: ) he is still a kid.

I've also noticed that he is just about always cramped up post game…when the other guys are doing stretching, Robert is normally having his calves massgaed / clearly very tired.

First grade is a big call at this stage...but it is against a very poor Sharks team + Morris is on the bench and can cover things if anytthing dramatic goes wrong. It's a good time to play him.

We've all criticised Tim this season...everyone...but he has done a good job with the youngsters. Moltzen is going to be a star, Ayshford looks the goods and Lui will be an excellent player soon enough. That's 3 top class backs long term.

The Ben Barba example above is a perfect one of a coach NOT putting a young guy in at the right time.

greg oden looks like he needs an old grey cardigan (with a few holes) a rocking chair and a pipe.

Congratulations to him. Lui has been great in the U20s and hopefully they continue there winning ways without him. Hope he has a big one!

@izotope said:
Someone had to start a thread!

Now i dont get a chance to watch much toyota cup matches?
Hows this kid go, what should we be looking out for :smiley:

Whats the opinions from people who regularly watch the toyota cup!?

Keep an eye out for Rhys Wesser's lovechild…Goes good, plays with plenty of ticker.

I suppose if you are ever going to get a go at this time of the season in the position we are in, than now is the time. He looks to have something thats for sure. Good luck to the boy.

Well i think tim sheens would not put the tigers at risk in playing lui at halfback if he didnt think the kid could play ,in what i have seen of the toyota cup games hes played well in attack but his abit suspect at defence but then again moltzen can slip into the halfs roll in some stage of the match so to me its no big drama .TIM has prob decided to see how he goes in that postiton against the low ranked sharks team so we will see on sunday !

I've only seen him play twice. My main worry is that he is too similar in style to Marshall, i.e likes to play off the cuff and he isn't really an organiser. In saying this he has a great passing game, good kicking game and is very creative. Definitely looks a class above Toyota Cup, though his defence is an issue.

However I'm not sure if Marshall and he together would work as a halves pairing. In the same way I don't think Taumata would either. I still think we need a true halfback, and at the moment Moltzen is the only player in the squad who fits that bill.

It is going to be interesting who plays where next season. Fullback and halfback seem wide open.

I think the kid is awesome and often stands out head and shoulders above the rest when he plays. But in FG at 7 right now - I'm thinking "no.no.no.no.no". I would put somenone in at fullback and keep Moltzen at 7 - Moltzen is developing into a natural halfback, and I think they (halfbacks) are harder to find than fullbacks.

Latest posts

Staff online

Back