Luke Brooks - Mega Thread

So were putting an indecisive player who can't drive a team around the park into hooker.

Right?

We all realise (don't we?) that the hooker dictates who gets the ball, when they get it, how fast the game is played and who's decision, on almost every play, makes up 50% of the success or failure of that play.

If that is the plan Noddy can't coach at U12's let alone a FG team.
Honestly it's better thinking and more of the kind of thinking we need.

Halfback requires greater strategy then Hooker, Brooks isn't a strategical hooker and doesn't have that Rugby league brain. Hooker the thinking is less, important but less. Brooks can get the ball out quickly to either the halfback or 5/8 as he sees it. A reduced role like this may work.

Lets face it this move has worked for a stack of Halfbacks:
Peter Wallace
Ben Hunt
Even Andrew Johns played a stint at hooker at Origin to Brett Kimmorley.

The problem with moving Brooks to hooker is:
1. our 2 dozen hookers we have recruited.
2. The physicality of the position. Brooks is pretty good but not really that physical. Josh Reynolds tried his hand at Hooker and couldn't handle the constant grind. Brooks is going to be worse the Josh in that respect. Not knocking Brooks as his defense has improved a lot since he and mitch were the pool turnstyles, but he wont' handle the physicality.

Still if it works out. We should get a webcam and microphone ready for 2023
"Hey Api, glad your here but your going to have to sit on the Bench while Luke Brooks plays 9!"

With the basketcases we are, it could happen.

Honestly it's better thinking and more of the kind of thinking we need.

Halfback requires greater strategy then Hooker, Brooks isn't a strategical hooker and doesn't have that Rugby league brain. Hooker the thinking is less, important but less. Brooks can get the ball out quickly to either the halfback or 5/8 as he sees it. A reduced role like this may work.

Lets face it this move has worked for a stack of Halfbacks:
Peter Wallace
Ben Hunt
Even Andrew Johns played a stint at hooker at Origin to Brett Kimmorley.

The problem with moving Brooks to hooker is:
1. our 2 dozen hookers we have recruited.
2. The physicality of the position. Brooks is pretty good but not really that physical. Josh Reynolds tried his hand at Hooker and couldn't handle the constant grind. Brooks is going to be worse the Josh in that respect. Not knocking Brooks as his defense has improved a lot since he and mitch were the pool turnstyles, but he wont' handle the physicality.

Still if it works out. We should get a webcam and microphone ready for 2023
"Hey Api, glad your here but your going to have to sit on the Bench while Luke Brooks plays 9!"

With the basketcases we are, it could happen.
Crazycat

I get where you are coming from but getting the ball out quickly to the half or 5/8 is just one aspect of the hookers role.

I agree that other halves have made the transition - but as far as I am aware it hasn't been successful on an ad hoc basis. Hunt and Wallace had a heap of training before they transitioned.

In addition to the two problems you highlighted. During Brooks' stints at hooker so far his ball service has been poor to average, he has shown he has no understanding of how to get his forwards to and over the ad line, he does not commit the markers or A defenders and he doesn't get into position to promote second phase play.

Could he be trained to do it? Maybe, given an off season and some serious coaching.

Should we? Why, given the eight or nine that we have invested in so far.

Good to see Brooks back at 6.
It was evident in the Warriors games when he replaced Doueihi late in the game, he gave our backline better shape, they looked more threatening.

I don't know how you can state this. I also don't know why Brooks is still copping it.

Brooks is one of the most targeted players I've ever seen from the media and fans.

We need to get on top and then Brooksy has to start making things happen. If not his career here is over. It's a tough ask.

I don't know how you can state this. I also don't know why Brooks is still copping it.

Brooks is one of the most targeted players I've ever seen from the media and fans.

We need to get on top and then Brooksy has to start making things happen. If not his career here is over. It's a tough ask.
He’s also targeted by defence.

We won’t get on top. LBH we have a guy a few weeks from retirement, a mr nice guy who doesn’t take hit ups, a bloke whose head is at Manly, a dude who looks like a prop but somehow hides in plain daylight and Joffa, who I think is a bit overrated on here.

Chuck in a journeyman reserve grader at hooker.

What a pack!!

Can someone plaese help?
I heard a whisper that the Daily Telegraph, online, have another anti Wests Tigers/Luke Brooks story.
Could someone maybe copy/paste the article?

“I think it came from a place where it probably shouldn’t have and that is what is frustrating sometimes about this club, a fair few stories get leaked out and I think it comes from people a lot higher than us.

“In the end, it obviously didn’t happen because I played. It’s just another thing (that happens at the club)… what can you do?.”

Doueihi returned from an ACL injury in round 15 but interim coach Brett Kimmorley has opted to pick the playmaker out of position.

After being eased back from the bench against Canterbury and the Warriors, Kimmorley has named Doueihi, who wants to play in the halves, at centre to take on Parramatta on Saturday.

But Brooks believes the 23-year old’s best spot is at five-eighth.

“Personally, I think his best position is five-eighth,” Brooks said.

“But when he has played at centre, he played (there) a fair bit the year before and he did really well there so he is a runner of the ball and if we can get the ball in his hands as much as possible, getting him running the ball, that’s his biggest threat.”

Asked what that meant for his immediate future in the Tigers 17, Brooks welcomed the competition.

“You want to keep your spot but if there is someone there and you’re not playing your best footy and they are going to come in… I guess that helps you to play your best footy so I think it is good to have healthy competition.”

Teammate Joe Ofahengaue echoed Brooks’ sentiment but went further declaring Doueihi’s skills were wasted out in the centres.

“Honestly, I think Doueihi’s best position is where he wants to play, and that’s in the halves,” Ofahengaue said.

“He was our best half last year, he is so dangerous with the ball.

“I think playing in that six or seven role he can float wherever he wants.

“At centre he is held to just one spot and for Doueihi to have an impact on the game, he needs to be everywhere.

“I’m not the coach but that is how I see it. I think he probably sees it the same way.”

Can someone plaese help?
I heard a whisper that the Daily Telegraph, online, have another anti Wests Tigers/Luke Brooks story.
Could someone maybe copy/paste the article?

Leak shame: Luke Brooks turns on Wests Tigers​

Luke Brooks has taken the extraordinary step of publicly calling out senior Wests Tigers officials for leaking insider information to the media. SUBSCRIBE Brooks' full statement here. Sorry that's all I could access.

“I think it came from a place where it probably shouldn’t have and that is what is frustrating sometimes about this club, a fair few stories get leaked out and I think it comes from people a lot higher than us.

“In the end, it obviously didn’t happen because I played. It’s just another thing (that happens at the club)… what can you do?.”

Doueihi returned from an ACL injury in round 15 but interim coach Brett Kimmorley has opted to pick the playmaker out of position.

After being eased back from the bench against Canterbury and the Warriors, Kimmorley has named Doueihi, who wants to play in the halves, at centre to take on Parramatta on Saturday.

“But when he has played at centre, he played (there) a fair bit the year before and he did really well there so he is a runner of the ball and if we can get the ball in his hands as much as possible, getting him running the ball, that’s his biggest threat.”

Asked what that meant for his immediate future in the Tigers 17, Brooks welcomed the competition.

“You want to keep your spot but if there is someone there and you’re not playing your best footy and they are going to come in… I guess that helps you to play your best footy so I think it is good to have healthy competition.”

Teammate Joe Ofahengaue echoed Brooks’ sentiment but went further declaring Doueihi’s skills were wasted out in the centres.

“Honestly, I think Doueihi’s best position is where he wants to play, and that’s in the halves,” Ofahengaue said.

“At centre he is held to just one spot and for Doueihi to have an impact on the game, he needs to be everywhere.

“I’m not the coach but that is how I see it. I think he probably sees it the same way.”
Tick tock, time is ticking on Luke Brooks' time at the WT.

Thanks champion @Demps.

lmao players now publicly stating they don't agree with the coaches decisions is just a prime example of where we are as a club.

In saying that, the most frustrating thing about this club is how long it takes us to make an obvious decision. Douiehi is a better 6 than Brooks and should be given time next to a genuine half in Hastings for the rest of the year.

Whether he is to blame or not we still consistently persist with naming him and by the look of that article even the man himself doesn't think he deserves it.

So extremely frustrating, jeopardizing the team and potential resigning of our 2020 best player over Brooks who has done nothing for 7 years!!!

Back