Michael Maguire leaves club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally we have close to full strength side v south sydney .hopefully no more injuries to finish season.
So it's up to Madge now to see if he keeps his position
Absolutely. I have been impressed with the effort, but not the results - 3 wins from 11 matches is poor in anyone's language. If Madge is the man we should start seeing a lot more wins with players returning from injury. The next 4-6 games are pivotal for many reasons - including Madge's tenure as coach.

Reactions: BZN
Absolutely. I have been impressed with the effort, but not the results - 3 wins from 11 matches is poor in anyone's language. If Madge is the man we should start seeing a lot more wins with players returning from injury. The next 4-6 games are pivotal for many reasons - including Madge's tenure as coach.
Can I just say Kammy that the results 3/11 arent good,however we were playing with most of the NRL side out injured....thats not Madges fault but he has fielded makeshift sides that have been competative and doing well without the win...
IT would be like if you coached the under 16 side with some main players out but had to play the under 18 full side for 11 weeks..

Our wins will largely depend on teams we meet who are weakened through injury and or who have an off night. Unlike some teams we have to play to the best of our ability to have any hope of winning any game, and or have a fair share with the ref. Our roster is considered one of the weakest in the competition realistically the odds are we won't make the eight for that reason alone.

Honestly, I think madge prefers total control which backfired on him.
I remember Nathan Cayless stating in an interview in the off season that players need to have a safe space to voice their opinions. I don't think that was the case last year and the two years before that. Something has changed this year. Maybe Madge has reflected on this and changed. Maybe the influence of the new assistants and Sheens has been the real difference in the attitude of the players. I am happy to keep giving Madge support whilst the player effort is there, to a point. As stated earlier, the next 4-6 weeks will determine Madge's future.

Our wins will largely depend on teams we meet who are weakened through injury and or who have an off night. Unlike some teams we have to play to the best of our ability to have any hope of winning any game, and or have a fair share with the ref. Our roster is considered one of the weakest in the competition realistically the odds are we won't make the eight for that reason alone.
Even with our better players back it’s a bottom 8 side on paper. The game isn’t played on paper but I think we’ll learn what we are in the next month.

we’re only 2 wins out the 8 with half a season still remaining
Players coming back plus the newbies & a reasonable draw
Me thinks we’ll break the 10 year drought
We’re actually 3 wins out of the 8. Our current for and against is 93 points out side 8th which has to add another game. Big ask to push for the 8 from here

I can see a marked improvement in what we are now presenting on field for 80 minutes. I believe there is harmony amongst the group and i can see a quality culture building. With this all developing, now is not the time for changes. Once we have played a few games at full strength we will know where we stand- i believe we will be more than competitive with most of the teams in the NRL.
I hope Madge gets to see his tenure through and the club can decide after that.

Even with our better players back it’s a bottom 8 side on paper. The game isn’t played on paper but I think we’ll learn what we are in the next month.
Reality is that these blokes are giving their all but it won't win you games if the opposition is better, and if you are going to measure them on wins and losses with coach being the fall guy well the writing is pretty much on the wall.

I would keep Madge for the remainder of this season regardless as I think we are getting better , just small things stuff us up and then agree with him having API and PapI coming , no excuses in 23 , you must have min 50% strike rate by round 10 , 10 games we need to be on 10 points min and that includes the draw even if we cop , Melb , Cows , Rorters , Panthers in the first few games it’s bad luck , my only concern would be who do you bring in to replace him , Flanno and poss Green may be back in jobs. Very soon , Dogs , Warriors , Titans , all not going very well just like us and my all make coach changes probably add Newcastle as well

Interesting that so many have been taken in by the pitiful pleas of Flanagan and his Fox mates trying to get him a job. Madge is safe or should be. The club is building momentum.
Gotta disagree with you there mate we lose 2 or 3 in a row we will see him out the door we’ve only won 3 games I reckon sheens will get rid of him

Gotta disagree with you there mate we lose 2 or 3 in a row we will see him out the door we’ve only won 3 games I reckon sheens will get rid of him
Before the season started Sheens was asked about Maguire’s job security. His response was , he has to improve the team.
Has he improved the team?

Before the season started Sheens was asked about Maguire’s job security. His response was , he has to improve the team.
They are playing with more purpose and heart than I’ve seen in many years, only 2 games out of 11 so far where they didn’t have a go collectively. Our depth sucks and that needs to improve, however you can’t judge improvement fully until our best side, or close to it hits the field.

Sheens and co believe that making the 8 must be feasible at the midpoint of season that is 5 wins by Rd 13 .If we are not at that point then its likely another year gone making 10 straight and 4 under madge . We need 2 wins out of south's, manly and dogs or changes might happen ,This is NRL 360 view
Not sure where top 8 came from this year. We don't even have one rep player. How is it rational to assume we would get higher than rep calibre sides?

Knock a few of them off. Too be honest I'd be happy coming in 10th this year. Next year finals or bust though.

Reactions: BZN
They are playing with more purpose and heart than I’ve seen in many years, only 2 games out of 11 so far where they didn’t have a go collectively. Our depth sucks and that needs to improve, however you can’t judge improvement fully until our best side, or close to it hits the field.
Its to easy to judge the coach because we are 3/11,and yet he has fielded makeshift sides because of a high injury list...half the NRL side out and our depth isnt great,however the teams have been performing admirably...
I bet the performances turn into wins once the top players are fully fit and playing as the team should be,and in the positions they were recruited for....

unfortunately it goes off results have they improved yeah they have but if you don’t get the wins next to your name that’s what counts

unfortunately it goes off results have they improved yeah they have but if you don’t get the wins next to your name that’s what counts
Slurpee, I’m not sure Sheens, at least, would think that way mate? If that were the case Maguire could lose his job because Madden drops a ball? Winning is important, sure, but doing the things to create a win needs to have more focus imo.

Slurpee,it may suit some peoples narrative to sack the coach because the team arent winning,however,anyone within the club or associated with the football dept with half a brain should see the coach has not been able to field a fully fit NRL side and therefore cant compete at the same level as the other team with full NRL sides on the field..
But the improvement within this squad to play as tough and grinding as they have is a massive improvement on the teams and squads we have had with better quality in them..keep Madge,his perseverance and loyalty is second to none and deserves to see out his contract...

It depends on the vision and plan. Sheens doesn't react to outside noise.
Sheens has mentioned a 3yr plan, he was also very very open about expectations this year. They didn't set a target on wins and loses for this season it was about the teams performance improving. Changing our structures and setting ourseleves for the next few years. He also said the aim is by year 3 we challenge for the title.

To me this indicates if the team as they are show signs of improvement and we manage to improve the quality in the side which is somewhat happening next year (Api/Papa heck even Naden) then next year will be the year Madge gets judged on W/L not this year.

The team didn't gel in the opening rounds & I have no doubts Madge was in serious trouble, the wins against the Eels and Souths showed something and since then we have been somewhat up and down during games which losing a fullback, wingers, halves, centers, backrowers and hookers & most teams would be.

I think Madge is safe this year if the team continue to hold tight in defence & do improve the attack with some key players due to come back in the backend of the season. If they slip & regress to the early part of the season he will be gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back