McIntyre System

Zaibatsu

Who here is a fan of the McIntyre top 8 system?

Personally I prefer a top 6 format (I just don't believe that HALF the field should make the finals), however if it has to be a top 8 system I much prefer the AFL system.

The AFL system provides much more interesting clashes and fully rewards you for making the top 4 as you cannot possibly be eliminated in the first week of the finals (In the McIntyre system even 3rd can be gooooooneskis in week one).

For those unfamiliar with the AFL system it works like this:

![](http://i31.tinypic.com/5y6r0x.jpg)

So basically it splits the top 8 into two segments with teams 1-4 playing against eachother for a spot in the preliminary finals and teams 5-8 playing off against eachother in instant-knockout matches.

Then the losers from the 1-4 segment play off against the winners from the 5-8 segment in the 2nd week of finals for the other 2 preliminary finals spots…

This system allows for much more interesting, close, hard-fought matches all finals series and the reward for finishing in the top 4 of the eight is very advantagous.

Much better than the drubbings you often see in the NRL where you have 1st vs 8th and 2nd vs 7th etc... (has 8th ever even beaten 1st? :confused: ).

Thoughts?

That system is MILES better than the NRL system… always thought it...

In 2005 we absolutely smashed the Cowboys... only to play them again in the Final... that was a wank... but it was so good to smash them again lol

To be honest, I don't mind the NRL system at all. One of these days we will have a team finishing 7th or 8th that find form at the right time of year and turn the finals series on its head. Maybe this year…

@Juro said:
To be honest, I don't mind the NRL system at all. One of these days we will have a team finishing 7th or 8th that find form at the right time of year and turn the finals series on its head. Maybe this year…

lol so "one year we'll get a good series" compared to a system which produces awesome matches constantly each and every season?

Based on the assumption that all the higher-placed teams win, the AFL's system brings about more quality matchups compared to the McIntyre system. Here's how the two systems would go if all results go according to placings:

**AFL**

**week one**

1v4
2v3
5v8
6v7

**week two**

3v6
4v5

**week three**

1v3
2v4

**grand final**

1v2

**McIntyre**

**week one**

1v8
2v7
3v6
4v5

**week two**

3v5
4v6

**week three**

1v4
2v3

**grand final**

1v2

So the AFL system has five matchups between top four teams. The McIntyre system only has three. HOWEVER, one drawback of the AFL system is this: if either 1st or 2nd lose in week one, there's no way they can meet in the grand final because they'll be playing each other in week three if they both make it that far. This situation is always avoided with the McIntyre system.

My personal preference would be a round robin type format where you take the top eight and split them into two pools and play three weeks of games, just like how the opening stage of the soccer world cup goes. You could even have a draw during the week before the finals to see exactly which teams are in each pool. After the round robin the top two go through to the semis, so it would be a five week finals series. The good thing about it is that every team would play every week.

The AFL finals series always seems much better when compared to what the NRL have been using. I'm surprised they haven't thought of introducing it.

@Zaibatsu said:
Much better than the drubbings you often see in the NRL where you have 1st vs 8th and 2nd vs 7th etc… **(has 8th ever even beaten 1st?** :confused: ).

Thoughts?

Warriors beat Melbourne last year. That was the first time under the McIntyre system that 8th had beaten 1st. There's been a number of occasions when 7th has beaten 2nd since the MS was introduced in '99\. They are listed below:

2000 Eels d Roosters 32-8
2001 Dragons d Bulldogs 23-22
2002 Dragons d Knights 26-22
2004 Cowboys d Bulldogs 30-22

@Iron Tiger said:
But you'd rather come 5th than 1st or 2nd.

:laughing: No you wouldn't! Why would you?

1-4 teams = immune from elimination.

If you finish 5th you could be goooooooooone week one and even if you win you will still have to play a top 4 team the next week before you reach a prelim…

I've gotten used to the McIntyre system now and don't really have a problem with it. I think the competition is closer again this season so teams 7 and 8, whoever they may be could be in with a shot at going further than week 1.

@willow said:
I've gotten used to the McIntyre system now and don't really have a problem with it. I think the competition is closer again this season so teams 7 and 8, whoever they may be could be in with a shot at going further than week 1.

But having the 5th-8th teams playing off is great because its instant death for both sides!

1st vs 8th is only instant death for one of the sides and is "usually" a complete missmatch of a game.

two teams that are close in skill-level both playing for their lives is much more entertaining imo.

I don't care what system they use. To be premiers you have to beat all comers, whether they finish 8th, 5th, 2nd, last, it doesn't matter. Finals are about winning, not who got an easier draw.

@Zaibatsu said:
@Iron Tiger said:

If you finish 5th you could be goooooooooone week one and even if you win you will still have to play a top 4 team the next week before you reach a prelim…

But you vs easier team. I prefer mcintyre system

the system will change in the future. its just a matter of time. dont worry, its not a problem that Wests Tigers have at the moment. And judging by our signings, maybe for quite a few seasons yet. But we got to stick together.

@Iron Tiger said:
@Zaibatsu said:
@Iron Tiger said:

But you vs easier team. I prefer mcintyre system

You may play an easier side but you still have to play a top 4 team the next week before you reach a prelim final regardless!

If you finish in the top 4 you play a harder team but may get the next week off and waltz straight into a prelim :slight_smile:

The only negative with the ALF system is that if team 1 or 2 lose in week one they can't meet in the Grand Final. It's likely be a Premilary Final match up. That would blow this year, with St Kilda and Geelong the dominant teams.

@steven_tiger said:
The only negative with the ALF system is that if team 1 or 2 lose in week one they can't meet in the Grand Final. It's likely be a Premilary Final match up. That would blow this year, with St Kilda and Geelong the dominant teams.

Once could argue that if they both lose in week one that they probably don't deserve to meet in the final though?

Always preferred the AFL system to the NRL's McIntyre.
Remember there was massive discussions about this when we thrashed the Cowgirls and then had to face an elimination match v Brisbane the following week.

Latest posts

Back