Next Immortal?

stryker

New member
Joined
Jul 19, 2009
Messages
11,080
Location
Cairns
Was having a couple of quieties this afternoon with some footy heads and the subject of the 8th Immortal came up.

The names being tossed around were pretty common sense ones such a Ronny Coote, Norm Provan, Big Mal Meninga, Joey and Darren lockyer.

The arguments then started about Johns's eligability.

So my questions are;

#1 Who do you think will be the 8th Immortal and why?
#2 Has Johns ended any chance he may have had?
 

Tiger_Watto

New member
Joined
Mar 8, 2010
Messages
10,714
Location
Maroochydore Qld
They won't go backwards. I also feel the Immortal Tag is for players who have excelled at National Level, not Club Football.

With that being the case, Mal Meninga and Darren Lockyer are the only options. A Johns was a great footballer, but he is the same league as Peter Sterling and co who excelled at club and state level, but never really made a big dint as an Australian Representative.

The only other player I would consider excelled at National Level was possibly Brad Fittler…

Geez, is this thread gona start a few arguments???
 

ron_burgandy

New member
Joined
Feb 4, 2010
Messages
1,769
locky johns or fittler IMO, locky probably wont until hes retired though…..

disagree with watto johns dominated at state level when picked at 7 i think he hasnt lost a series when he played at 7 though i could be wrong......

but these guys are the obvious selections

some left field selections could be steve renouf...... one of the most naturally gifted runners of the ball ive ever seen and a great try scoring strike rate to i believe.....

glenn lazarus........best prop in the last 30 years easily........
 

stryker

New member
Joined
Jul 19, 2009
Messages
11,080
Location
Cairns
Personally Big Mal got my vote with Locky to be the 9th.

Agreed with your comments re Johns at International level…but I think the drugs did him out of a cap as well.

As far as the thread goes, I'm expecting a lot of varied opinions about this issue. I'm sure it will start a few "lively" debates when the right people stumble across it hahaha....
 

Geo

Moderator
Staff member
Forum Leader
Joined
Jul 10, 2009
Messages
47,799
Location
Campbelltown NSW..
Oh God…...another Queensland love in.....

Unfortunately....I have to agree....Big Mal gets my vote as Number 8...

From there if your talking more Modern Day it's tough...Personally I believe time has to pass.... plus I'ts a lot easier today being 'Professional'...

But Number 9 for mine would be Sterlo...

Johns give up his right for nomination long ago...
 

Tiger_Watto

New member
Joined
Mar 8, 2010
Messages
10,714
Location
Maroochydore Qld
@Geo. said:
Oh God…...another Queensland love in.....

Unfortunately....I have to agree....Big Mal gets my vote as Number 8...

From there if your talking more Modern Day it's tough...Personally I believe time has to pass.... plus I'ts a lot easier today being 'Professional'...

But Number 9 for mine would be Sterlo...

Johns give up his right for nomination long ago...

Geo, we know you have always aspired to be living in 'Gods Country'.

The future of the game is in Queensland, so why wouldn't you want to be here…
 

Sabre

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 10, 2009
Messages
8,188
Andrew Johns…they immortals are picked on their footballing ability, off-field issues shouldnt play a part...
 

everett

New member
Joined
Mar 12, 2010
Messages
1,702
Location
Kings Langley
Big Mal will be the 8th immortal. What a player. He played with one of the greatest teams of all time, Green Machine in the 80's and 90's and scored the last try in the 1994 Grand FInal his last game. He played in 5 Kangaroo tours and captained his team, his state and country. Coach of the unbeatable QLD side.

Andrew Johns will be the 9th immortal. Most influenctial player in my life time and dominated at all levels. Newcastle would never have won the 1997 and 2001 Grand Finals without him.

Darren Lockyer will be an immortal once he retires. What a champion player and still carving them up in all levels of the game.

One player who should be an immortal but won't is Brett Kenny. 2 tries in 3 consective grand finals. Outplayed Wally Lewis in State of Origin and played brillantly for the Kangaroos. One of the best five eights of all time.

Agree Glen Lazarus is the best prop of the last 30 years and played in 5 winning Grand FInals for 3 different teams.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Johns on field achievements, and Lockyer's are both deserving IMO.
 

stryker

New member
Joined
Jul 19, 2009
Messages
11,080
Location
Cairns
I dont think Johns will get it…..apart from the disgraceful instances that we know about, there are just as many that have beeen swept under the carpet over the years that those in the know must be aware of.

He was a good player but off the field was no good for the games image.

I also am of the firm opinion that when it comes to rep performance - especially on an international level - that Locky absolutely owns Johns.
 

Tiger_Watto

New member
Joined
Mar 8, 2010
Messages
10,714
Location
Maroochydore Qld
@everett said:
Big Mal will be the 8th immortal. What a player. He played with one of the greatest teams of all time, Green Machine in the 80's and 90's and scored the last try in the 1994 Grand FInal his last game. He played in 5 Kangaroo tours and captained his team, his state and country. Coach of the unbeatable QLD side.

Andrew Johns will be the 9th immortal. Most influenctial player in my life time and dominated at all levels. Newcastle would never have won the 1997 and 2001 Grand Finals without him.

Darren Lockyer will be an immortal once he retires. What a champion player and still carving them up in all levels of the game.

One player who should be an immortal but won't is Brett Kenny. 2 tries in 3 consective grand finals. Outplayed Wally Lewis in State of Origin and played brillantly for the Kangaroos. One of the best five eights of all time.

Agree Glen Lazarus is the best prop of the last 30 years and played in 5 winning Grand FInals for 3 different teams.

Lazarus is an interesting choice. He has been the best prop from the last 20 years at club level, but if Norm Provan can't make it after winning 10 Grand Finals, again I think Club Football has very little to do with the selection criteria. Another example of this would be Wally Lewis. Achieved nothing at club level???
 

Tiger_Watto

New member
Joined
Mar 8, 2010
Messages
10,714
Location
Maroochydore Qld
@stryker said:
I dont think Johns will get it…..apart from the disgraceful instances that we know about, there are just as many that have beeen swept under the carpet over the years that those in the know must be aware of.

He was a good player but off the field was no good for the games image.

I also am of the firm opinion that when it comes to rep performance - especially on an international level - that Locky absolutely owns Johns.

The team of the Centuary included all levels of football, and this is why Johns was named Halfback.

It would be good if the RLW could release their selection criteria for Immortals. When you look at the chosen few, I believe it is based on performance/achievement at International Level.

With International Football not being as competitive as it was in the earlier years, have we seen the last of the Immortals?
 

MGB

New member
Joined
Jul 13, 2009
Messages
535
Gotta be Mal, his achievements as an Origin coach must help there also.
 

everett

New member
Joined
Mar 12, 2010
Messages
1,702
Location
Kings Langley
I think after last night Big M is guaranteed the next immortal. He was named at centre for the team of the century as well.

Fittler to me is no way near being classed as an immortal. Brett Kenny and Laurie Daley were far better five eights than Fittler.
 

Alf_Duguid

New member
Joined
May 14, 2010
Messages
1,037
If you are applying the same 'off-field' criteria that you are using for A. Johns, Meninga should be excluded

Anyway my vote is for Trevor Cogger as he dominated at club level
 
T

Trevor_Rawlings

Guest
No to Lockyer, definately NO to Fittler. Is someone trying to be funny?
I think Mitch Brown has shown this year that he is Immortal material. The way he has dominated the final 3 minutes of games has been extraordinary. he is like Jordan or Kobe taking the final 3-pointer to win games on the buzzer. Brilliant.
 
T

Trevor_Rawlings

Guest
We are too quick to heap praise on current players. He needs to be retired for 10years before talking about him. If they want to make someone an immortal now, give it to Mal.

Quick question, if someone dies, are they no longer immortal?
 
Top