Next tier of footy

Zaibatsu

When do you think the NRL is going to bite the bullet and structure a better "reserve grade" competition?

Imo the league is letting itself down big time with the current set-up, the gap in skill level between Toyota Cup and the NRL is too massive and the overall level of footy in State Cup is not up to scratch either.

I would like to see a merger of sorts between State Cup & Toyota Cup, perhaps a system where each NRL side has a reserve's team but that reserves squad must contain 6 or more under 20's players.

This would allow junior players to come up to that level without being totally over-awed and also allows for NRL clubs to nurse back senior players returning from injury or demote senior players who need to find form…

Thoughts?

I think they should merge nsw cup and qld cup. The problem coming through is defence. Young players these days don't know how to defend because it isn't a glamour skill. Nobody wants to play in the front row, they all want to be ball players or outside backs. If the nrl can get the juniors to defend better the reserve grade and u20 competitions will be much stronger.

Concerning defence in the under 20's, I don't really think we will see the defence improve that much mainly because the squads are changing dramatically each season with players becoming too old.
The state cup definetely needs to be fixed, I'm not sure how though.

There was nothing wrong with the old format which had jersey flegg, reserve grade and than first grade here in NSW.

A proper reserve grade comp could be properly managed if the age restrictions were moved up to 23 with the possibility of 2 over-aged players for match fitness and experience. 20 is too young. Players than have no where to go and forwards aren't being properly developed.

I agree
there shouldn't be an age limit on the Toyota cup altogether
but there should be limits of how many players you can have over the age of say 23…
Becuase at the moment NSW cup and QLD cup's are better quality playing wise than the national under 20's comp.
Definitely needs better management.

I'm still trying to work out what the current format is.

You have First Grade then what? I don't know.

I think the State Cup and QLD Cup should merge and each NRL team have a feeder team in the second tier comp. Plenty of teams have a feeder side that is located interstate, eg Storm - Central Coast, Manly - Sunshine Coast etc.

Also, the NYC should be raised to U21s or 22s.

Otherwise a combination of the State Cup and NYC where each team fields a certain number of U20s per game is also a good idea. Kurt Gidley commented on the Footy Show a few weeks ago how important it was playing with older guys who are trying to fight their way back into First Grade and with their experience etc.

Apart from raising the NYC to u/21's or u/23's, i like things the way it is, i just think it needs to be marketed better to get more support in the lower grades. Curtain raisers to NRL matches wouldn't hurt either. Maybe linking feeder sides better with their NRL teams?

Locally, the QLD Cup is of a pretty high standard but doesn't recieve the support that it used to. Personally, i think the punters are missing out. I try and get to a Qld Cup game every week, good footy for only $5-$8.

Another major problem I have with the Toyota Cup and NRL matches is that they are too far apart.

The TC match ends and its generally around 45mins until the NRL fixture starts, the gap needs to be around 5mins imo, it would allow more of the crowd filtering into the ground to witness some TC action and a lot would come a fraction earlier to see the entire match, rather then having to wait around for the best part of an hour as it currently is operated.

@Zaibatsu said:
Another major problem I have with the Toyota Cup and NRL matches is that they are too far apart.

The TC match ends and its generally around 45mins until the NRL fixture starts, the gap needs to be around 5mins imo, it would allow more of the crowd filtering into the ground to witness some TC action and a lot would come a fraction earlier to see the entire match, rather then having to wait around for the best part of an hour as it currently is operated.

Very true, especially when there is virtually zero form of pre-match entertainment, apart from cheer leaders and the odd cheap gimmick. I'd rather the 5-10 minute gap. I've made my thoughts known before about what I think of cheerleaders at Rugby League games.

Especially at venues like Suncorp, with the overpriced terrible beer, and the abundance of pubs right next door, who wants to go to the game early to have to sit around with nothing to do for an hour when you can stay at the pub?

Agreed, the 45min break is way too long, but I think it's got to do with ground staff wanting the long break perhaps. That break with no entertainment is painful. It's almost as bad as the 30min half time in AFL. I've been to two AFL matches in my life and it was so boring.

the way they used to have it was the best. first grade, reserve grade, Under 21's. im not sure why they changed it

@Allan Towle said:
There was nothing wrong with the old format which had jersey flegg, reserve grade and than first grade here in NSW.

I actually miss those days. It use to be great to have 3 grades playing on matchday, especially on a sunny Sunday afternoon.

@Allan Towle said:

\

@NJLM78 said:
I actually miss those days. It use to be great to have 3 grades playing on matchday, especially on a sunny Sunday afternoon.

Everyone misses those days. It was great. You could see the future up-and-comers out of school, the fringer FGers and than FG itself.

Latest posts

Back