Opinions on the 1st Beau Ryan- was he out?

NEDKELLY

I have been listening to Graeme Hughes on Talkin Sport this morning and he is adamant that Beau Ryan stepped on the line for his 1st try!
I personally have watched the replay along with my Storm supporter wife (go figure as we don't live in Melbourne) and we both agreed that we could NOT see Ryan's boot on the line. I agree with Simpkins in giving him the Benefit of the Doubt and can't believe that anyone could be 100% sure as is Graeme Hughes.

I would apprecaite your opinions if you ACTUALLY saw his boot on the line?

Was NO TRY. His toes must've been on the line behind the post from the camera angle. But the correct ruling was made as the video referee could not come to a CLEAR opinion with the post obstructing that view. So thus remains "doubt". Hence benefit of the "doubt".

IMO the refs did a bloody good job to even that up regardless in order to continue the hype for the NRL.

very hard to tell, you would think that part of the boot was on the line, but in situations like that it is Benefit of the Doubt

If his boot didn't touch the line then i will deadset give it away. Hayne's try in Origin was an incorrect calling because they didn't have an obstructed view from behind as well.

@crouching_tiger said:
If his boot didn't touch the line then i will deadset give it away. Hayne's try in Origin was an incorrect calling because they didn't have an obstructed view from behind as well.

Yeah i agree his boot was on the line. Everyone where we were sitting said 'no try' when they showed it on the big screen.

I definitely thought his boot was on the line.. so No Try for me too.

Yeah, i thought he was out, although it was the only call that went our way all night until his next try which I also had my doubts over.

Oh well, upwards and onwards

Go get em tiges

I was at the game and only saw the replay on the big screen. From were I was sitting it did look like it may have been no try but if , like you say, there was no conclusive "footage" (ha ha) the correct decision was made. I was pleasantly surprised with both 50/50 calls going our way for once.

@steven_tiger said:
I think that call was fine.

His second try, however, was an ordinary call.

2nd one was another terrible call but the correct decision. The new rule for this year was changed if you recall regarding downward pressure. As long as there was some part of his arm touching the ball when it hits the ground it is a TRY apparently.

I agree with both tries being awarded last night because of BOTD and the rule change, NOT that I agree with it though.

The change to downward pressure is just crap, no control over the ball but yet it's good enough because a fingertip is still touching the ball as it falls over the line?

if he was out the touchy would of put his flag up but he ran into the in goal for the ok, camera was inconclusive IMO

I thought his shoe touched the line…but was happy to take the call...same with his last try.

yeah his boot looked like it grazed the line but i gotta say there was doubt there and we got the benifit of it.
ryan did an awsome job though in putting that ball down without taking the corner post

I have no problem with either try to be honest. BOTD was applied and should have been applied both times. You could not 100% tell his foot touched the line so you go with the call that was made. The 2nd try he never had control but never lost contact. I don't agree with the rule but the ruling was correct.

I would have accepted the try being disallowed. There was definitely some doubt about whether his foot was on the line, but not a lot of doubt.

I was on the side where Ryan scored sitting on the toouch line on the try line.. IMO i thought it was out on first thoughts and i thought when VR was looking 3999999 times i thought no way but there was some doubt but i would have accepted try but also no try

I thought he was out, therefore a no try.

I only thought he was out because of the way his foot twisted at the last moment though.

I will be as diplomatic as possible and say that I am not sure that he was in…..

Back