Post Covid overseas travel

Papacito

I got back this week after a two week holiday to the US and thought I'd post a quick thread in case anyone is thinking about overseas travel or wants to ask any questions.

Basically everyone I talked to before I left told me I was crazy and it wasn't a good time to travel. I even started doubting whether I'd made the right decision.

But, I had a great time and it was all pretty easy. I'd even go so far as to say it's a really good time to travel. The main differences were:

Sydney Airport: Was a ghost town. It took me all of 10 minutes to check in my bags, go through customs and get to my gate. I suspect it will get busier, but when I left there were only a handful of flights leaving to a limited range of destinations.

Covid testing: This was the biggest change. I had to get a certified test the day I left and one the day I returned. There's a giant testing tent set up in Sydney and my result came back in about an hour and cost about $70. Testing in the US took a bit more planning and was more expensive. I know the Australian government recently eased up restrictions so you can get a certified RAT instead of a PCR test, but the cost in the US for these was basically identical.

Airfares / flights: A bit more expensive than pre-covid but not too bad. I paid $1500 return with Qantas. Pre-covid I think I paid about $1200. The flight was only at about 10% capacity so I had an entire economy row to myself. I did have to keep my mask on for the 15 hour flight which sounds terrible but wasn't.

Insurance: Similar pricing to pre-covid but now it is fairly easy to get a policy that covers you in case you catch covid and need to cancel your trip (and vice versa).

Other stuff: One change is that airlines ask for your to submit an international vaccination certificate, test results and declarations online before you check in. Not a huge drama but about an extra 15 minutes of time. Experience while travelling in the US was basically like covid didn't exist.

Any questions, fire away.

I got back this week after a two week holiday to the US and thought I'd post a quick thread in case anyone is thinking about overseas travel or wants to ask any questions.

Basically everyone I talked to before I left told me I was crazy and it wasn't a good time to travel. I even started doubting whether I'd made the right decision.

But, I had a great time and it was all pretty easy. I'd even go so far as to say it's a really good time to travel. The main differences were:

Sydney Airport: Was a ghost town. It took me all of 10 minutes to check in my bags, go through customs and get to my gate. I suspect it will get busier, but when I left there were only a handful of flights leaving to a limited range of destinations.

Covid testing: This was the biggest change. I had to get a certified test the day I left and one the day I returned. There's a giant testing tent set up in Sydney and my result came back in about an hour and cost about $70. Testing in the US took a bit more planning and was more expensive. I know the Australian government recently eased up restrictions so you can get a certified RAT instead of a PCR test, but the cost in the US for these was basically identical.

Airfares / flights: A bit more expensive than pre-covid but not too bad. I paid $1500 return with Qantas. Pre-covid I think I paid about $1200. The flight was only at about 10% capacity so I had an entire economy row to myself. I did have to keep my mask on for the 15 hour flight which sounds terrible but wasn't.

Insurance: Similar pricing to pre-covid but now it is fairly easy to get a policy that covers you in case you catch covid and need to cancel your trip (and vice versa).

Other stuff: One change is that airlines ask for your to submit an international vaccination certificate, test results and declarations online before you check in. Not a huge drama but about an extra 15 minutes of time. Experience while travelling in the US was basically like covid didn't exist.

Do you need the third jab for the international vax certificate?

We are heading to Philippines in a few weeks.

It all seems pretty straightforward... Philippines requires
US$35K covid insurance
International vax cert
6month valid p/port
Return or onward flight ticket.. (ways around that if staying)
30 days visa free for tourists
Negative PCR test 48 hours after delarture
One health pass (Filipino travel pass filled in online uploading pcr QR code)

I'm edgy tho... Last time we were going was march 2020....spent almost $3k then on flights and resorts... Took a while to get most back
Air Asia are scum, avoid them.

Yeah my Auntie in LA had covid and she was walking around the street and mingling with people. I told her not to but she didn’t care.

My cuz is in lockdown in prison ATM because of constant outbreaks as well in San Diego

Mum used to be a flight attendant and I’ve been looking at staff travel website if Qantas and all the flights overseas are empty

Like 150 free seats in economy and about 50 free in Business class. All incoming and outgoing flights from Qantas are empty

But still very worried about Covid-19. I’d be more confident end of the year I reckon

Really keen on going back to Iran again via Thailnd

Attachments

• AEC089F8-AA54-4570-B4F5-C73EF8E1A333.png
    AEC089F8-AA54-4570-B4F5-C73EF8E1A333.png
    356.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
One thing for sure,Sydney is only a third of what it was socially after dark.

Gotta be better elsewhere.

I'm in Boston at the moment. Travelled to NYC from Germany for a 2 week holiday. Had no problems getting in. No one checked my vaccination status or my covid test before boarding or entering the US.

Things seem pretty relaxed here. Have only been asked to show vaccination status once.

Went to a Red Sox game last night and you couldn't tell covid was a thing at all...

To re-enter Germany I only need to show evidence of vaccination. No need to test.

They say int flights might get pricer in 6 months or something? Because of the cost of oil?

I'm in Boston at the moment. Travelled to NYC from Germany for a 2 week holiday. Had no problems getting in. No one checked my vaccination status or my covid test before boarding or entering the US.

Things seem pretty relaxed here. Have only been asked to show vaccination status once.

Went to a Red Sox game last night and you couldn't tell covid was a thing at all...

To re-enter Germany I only need to show evidence of vaccination. No need to test.
Don’t think the Muricans and Euros care anymore, even if ppl die etc

Show must go on!

Back