Pre-Season Training 2022-2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiger_one

Can't take a trick, it seems:

Sheens regime’s pre-season plan dealt a big early blow​

The new Wests Tigers coaching team of club legends Tim Sheens, Benji Marshall and Robbie Farah has been dealt a blow just days into the start of the new regime, with their plans for an intense post-season training session blocked by the NRL and RLPA.

The Daily Telegraph reports that the new mentors were hoping to run intense training between now and the NRL Grand Final date on October 2 in the hopes of getting the squad off to a strong start for next year.

But the Tigers, along with the other clubs that landed in the bottom eight, had already been told that once the regular season had come to an end, they were to send their players on holidays, demonstrating the communication issues that clearly still exist.

The Telegraph reports that an email was sent out by a ‘workloads and balance committee’ – though it’s unknown why that information wasn’t passed on to the incoming group prior to devising their plan.

The email also included a recommendation that pre-season training for 2023 should not begin at any time before November 1, as well as a recommendation that players not be required to train on Sundays when pre-season training begins.

PS What is a "workloads and balance committee' within the NRL?
Is this like the soft whistle?
These are terms not openly known before 2022.

It does seem odd that there is such poor communication within the club. All CEOs would have been made aware, surely? Certainly the players would or should have been aware they were on holidays? They definitely looked like they knew from the opening whistle vs Raiders?

Sounds very amateurish.

As for the players, it might sound good that they get to start holidays early but that would mean all the plans they made post Grand Final would go into disarray.

Everything would get quite chaotic.

Sheens did it last time he was here as well....
Made them train right up to Grand Final.

Think the message was, They need to work up until October like a successful team would.

I don't disagree with it....
Contracts are from November to November, They still get their mandated time off....

This happens pretty much every year - one or more of the bottom teams try and train through the finals. The RLPA puts a stop to it every time (at least recently).
Seems more performative than anything to be honest.

I think it is only fair that every club should be banned from training now until November because after all the NRL should be seen to be even handed to all clubs.The soft whistle has sounded and its time for V'Landud to blow the hard whistle in solidarity

They're idiots. Someone shared an article just yesterday, or the day before, quoting Sheens saying they return to training in November.

I reckon you've nailed it. Beat up story. Tigers for the click bait.

Sheens did it last time he was here as well....
Made them train right up to Grand Final.

Think the message was, They need to work up until October like a successful team would.

I don't disagree with it....
Contracts are from November to November, They still get their mandated time off....

Think that was madge

Maybe Sheens new the NRL/RLPA rules but announced it anyway as a positive vibe for him getting the Tigers back on track ?
Or am I being too cynical ?

This is such a dumb rule, if they had made the finals they would be required to keep training, so why not? Just because they have no games doesn't mean they shouldn't train - seems like a perfect time to work on the areas they struggled during the year while it is still fresh, without the pressure of preparing for a game at the same time.

This is such a dumb rule, if they had made the finals they would be required to keep training, so why not? Just because they have no games doesn't mean they shouldn't train - seems like a perfect time to work on the areas they struggled during the year while it is still fresh, without the pressure of preparing for a game at the same time.

The NRL have never been known for consistency unless it is looking after the powerful clubs.

Madge did it not long ago. He trained until grand final? What's the problem? Top 8 teams do it. Just start preseason 4 weeks later. It's a great idea getting the players used to working in September for a change.

Madge did it not long ago. He trained until grand final? What's the problem? Top 8 teams do it. Just start preseason 4 weeks later. It's a great idea getting the players used to working in September for a change.
Has anyone worked out how many weeks these guys get off a year if they don't play finals or rep footy?
All my life I had 4 weeks plus public holidays.
Are they different?

Psychiatric sessions on how to not be a professional loser would be ideal right now before Nov 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Back